Converting People Knowing They Will be Martyred

Started by Jagella, June 30, 2019, 11:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Well, driving a car is very dangerous, but people still keep teaching their kids to do it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 01, 2019, 01:43:32 PM
Well, driving a car is very dangerous, but people still keep teaching their kids to do it.

A good reason to ban parenting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, kids should all be raised in warehouses, by the GEO Group.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 01, 2019, 02:09:03 PM
Yeah, kids should all be raised in warehouses, by the GEO Group.

Don't laugh.  God-Emperor Trump will declare us all, unaccompanied minors.  We will join AOC in the detention center in El Paso.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jagella

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 30, 2019, 05:30:18 PM
Ah, but for the persecution and martyrdom, the Christians believe they'll be blessed by their Sky Father. So for them it is very moral to convert people, especially since those they convert will live forever in the glory and love of God. And those they don't convert will spend eternity being tortured in Hell. So they figure a bit of persecution, even martyrdom, is small potatoes next to that.

Yes, that's exactly the problem with converting people to Christianity as I see it. Christianity has done much harm although apologists hate to admit it.

This issue like most issues I raised is being largely ignored at Debating Christianity. I only received one reply and, even he was not a Christian. The Christians there evidently don't want to discuss such a thorny topic.

Unbeliever

Yeah, they live in a bubble, and they won't allow it to be burst. So they'll either use tortured language or they'll just ignore anything that might shed negative light on their delusion.
God Not Found

Jagella

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 01, 2019, 04:41:39 PM
Yeah, they live in a bubble, and they won't allow it to be burst. So they'll either use tortured language or they'll just ignore anything that might shed negative light on their delusion.

And note that they ignore an issue that can result in great harm to people including the people they convert to their religion.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Jagella on July 01, 2019, 04:32:12 PM
Yes, that's exactly the problem with converting people to Christianity as I see it. Christianity has done much harm although apologists hate to admit it.

This issue like most issues I raised is being largely ignored at Debating Christianity. I only received one reply and, even he was not a Christian. The Christians there evidently don't want to discuss such a thorny topic.

Fine, but you haven't answered my questions, "So which morality do you have in mind? 21st century's morality? Morality in the 100 CE? Which culture? Which religion?"

Blackleaf

In an imaginary world where Christians are persecuted as much as they act like they are, it would be immoral to convert others to the religion, knowing the danger it would put them in. However, Christians thrive on martyrdom, and would likely only grow in numbers in such a situation. Nearly two-thousand years after Jesus' supposed death, they still think Jesus will be coming back any day now, which makes "earthly things," like surviving, less important. Heck, first century Christians were promised Jesus would return in their lifetimes, and were encouraged to sell all their property to the church in preparation. They still haven't seen through this deception, still expecting Jesus to come back in their lifetimes. Although they at least have the sense to plan for the future, just in case Jesus decides to delay his trip another two-thousand years.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Too many Christians want to create Armageddon, as if they can force Jesus to come back and save them. They'll destroy the world for their delusion.
God Not Found