News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What Is Creativity?

Started by Sal1981, June 25, 2019, 01:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Two Minute Papers channel posted today a 3:46 minute vid on an OpenAI paper and demonstration of what pretty much is an AI extrapolating from 6 notes to create original music. Which makes me wonder: What exactly is creativity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQA8Wzt8wdw

For me, it seems, creativity is using present ideas and works, to create new, original, ideas and works based on the present ones. Creativity could also very well be created out of random noise, to see what sticks, but that isn't prudent to creativity per se IMO.

Also, as a side note, copyright will mean something else entirely when AI can create original works of art.

aitm

And I would go the opposite. I would think creativity would be actually coming up with the "prototype" without any outside influence. 30,000 yr ago sitting on the side of a river and watching a stick float by with a frog on it could easily summon the idea that we could do that as well, and a canoe is not far off. Thinking of a canoe while living in a desert would be damn ingenious. But as well, taking a simply idea and going ape shit, like building a canoe and then envision the Queen Mary might be a bit of a stretch...but certainly creative.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Most creativity, like most mutation, is a throw away.  Actually harmful.  But in a free market, the few really good ideas flourish.

Yes, extrapolation is more "creative" than "interpolation".  This is exactly what Alan Turing was working on 66 years ago.  But it has to go one better than a pseudorandom number generator he was working with.  Turing was working with the very first computer games (checkers and chess) as well as computer generated poetry.  The first two became everyday things, the third didn't.  Music is highly mathematical, so it seems a good candidate, at least if the music is classical.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

Sal, I agree with you on what you think creativity is about.

There must be a base to produce or create new works. By the way, the verb ''creat'' implies a wholly new thing that's non-existing before. That's the work of God : )...No any creative person can do this. Like i said, there must be a base.

Einstein couldn't improve the relativity theory without using the math invented by Newton.
And Newton couldn't invent calculus without the Indians who discovered zero.
And so on.

Baruch

Demi-gods don't create ex-nihilo.  But it is enough, is it not?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Baruch on June 26, 2019, 08:50:10 PM
Demi-gods don't create ex-nihilo.  But it is enough, is it not?

HEHEHEHEHEE

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on June 27, 2019, 10:03:34 AM
HEHEHEHEHEE

Painting consists in creatively mixing paints and putting them to canvas.  But you don't create the elements that make up the materials.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I think "creativity" is "something new".  The idea of paint is "creative".  Using it isn't quite the same thing.  The first homonid who cracked a rock and considered the edge was creative.  The second who did a better job, maybe not so much.  But the guy who attached one to a stick; that was creative.

The person who first blew chewed charcoal or ocher around his hand was creative,  The next one (who did it better) wasn't.  Unless he/she thought of it in a larger perspective was.

Maybe it's a difference between CREATIVE and creative. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

If you were the caveman, I would have had you arrested for vandalizing the cave ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2019, 04:08:04 PM
If you were the caveman, I would have had you arrested for vandalizing the cave ;-)

If it weren't for people like me, you would be living in the world's cleanest cave.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 13, 2019, 04:11:37 PM
If it weren't for people like me, you would be living in the world's cleanest cave.

Only if we had some cave women.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

I always wondered what candy Imogene liked ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

A 43 min long vid from Sept. 2017 with a presentation by Vinod Khosla pontificates about AI, some which are already reality today, less than 2 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D1CRyQDR1s

Questions start around the 24 minute mark.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2019, 06:46:36 PM
Only if we had some cave women.

Well, of course.  Otherwise, you would probably be burping hip-deep in mead amphora and empty pizza boxes or something.  I keep my own house impeccably clean, naturally  (coff,coff)...