News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Could "the real god" convert you?

Started by Jagella, June 23, 2019, 12:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Moon

Quote from: Baruch on August 07, 2019, 04:19:17 PM
I watched that one too.  Dillahunty is overrated.  So is Peterson.

Be that as it may, and I am in somewhat agreement, he sure slaps Petereson around quite a bit. Like in the specific examples I mentioned.

QuotePeterson is traumatized by 20th century totalitarianism.

So am I. I had grandparents with tattooed numbers on their arms. 

But that is no reason to misrepresent it, as he did in that discussion.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Simon Moon

Quote from: Baruch on August 07, 2019, 04:24:20 PM
In Babylon 5, the Catholic Church was still running things in the background.

In possibly the best sci fi books written in the last 30 years, Dan Simmons', "Hyperion Cantos", the Catholic church ran things too.

Seriously, the Hyperion books are some of the most literate sci fi books ever. 
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 07, 2019, 05:44:15 PM
You give Jordan Peterson far too much credit. He's made his living off of telling people what they like to hear, while being just vague enough about his own opinions that he could wiggle out of any controversies when necessary. Part of that strategy is appealing to Christian ideology, while attempting to keep just enough distance that one couldn't simply peg him as a Christian. Basically, he's a faker and a coward.

Well, in clinical psychology, he might not be the kind of clinician you prefer.  Maybe someone who supports pharmaceutical intervention more.  I know that when I had anesthesia for my cataract surgery (and I rarely am exposed to drugs) I would have paid someone for periodic recreational access to that anesthesia.

More recently, he isn't practicing medicine.  He is practicing celebrity.  But I did enjoy him kicking PC academia and PC MSM in the balls the first year or two.

Or maybe you prefer the mumbo-jumbo of Harris?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 07, 2019, 05:15:11 PM
Up to your normal standards of late.

I will take that as approval, not that a demi-god needs any approval.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on August 07, 2019, 07:46:40 PM
Be that as it may, and I am in somewhat agreement, he sure slaps Petereson around quite a bit. Like in the specific examples I mentioned.

So am I. I had grandparents with tattooed numbers on their arms. 

But that is no reason to misrepresent it, as he did in that discussion.

Yes, unless you have been in the Camps or Gulag, you have nothing to complain about.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on August 07, 2019, 07:50:02 PM
In possibly the best sci fi books written in the last 30 years, Dan Simmons', "Hyperion Cantos", the Catholic church ran things too.

Seriously, the Hyperion books are some of the most literate sci fi books ever.

Golden Compass is somewhat Catholic too.  Not ever being Catholic, their church is exotic to me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 07, 2019, 08:22:48 PM
I will take that as approval, not that a demi-god needs any approval.
Actually, I made the mistake of going back a couple of years and reading some posts we had exchanged.  So, no, it is not approval (not that you give a shit one way or the other) but your content, tone and wording have changed quite a bit.  Have you had a stroke within the last 2 yrs.?  Now almost every post is disingenuous; not so two years ago.  Now it is almost impossible to tell what you think/believe about anything.  Your usual post these days is simply vapid nonsense; you are disingenuous about everything.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on August 07, 2019, 08:22:07 PMBut I did enjoy him kicking PC academia and PC MSM in the balls the first year or two.

Yeah, that never happened. His anti-PC career has always been based entirely on lies, misinformation, and word salad that sounds smart until you start dissecting it. Like his brain dead followers, you fell for it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 07, 2019, 10:13:29 PM
Actually, I made the mistake of going back a couple of years and reading some posts we had exchanged.  So, no, it is not approval (not that you give a shit one way or the other) but your content, tone and wording have changed quite a bit.  Have you had a stroke within the last 2 yrs.?  Now almost every post is disingenuous; not so two years ago.  Now it is almost impossible to tell what you think/believe about anything.  Your usual post these days is simply vapid nonsense; you are disingenuous about everything.

Yes, times they are a changing.  Aging is inevitable, might as well embrace it ;-)  Diabetes might be part of it.

I am surprised, given that my ... well organized long posts are rare ... that you even remember them.  Since they generate no discussion, I assume nobody reads them.  But I will make more, as I feel like it.  All posting, short or long, is intuition and inspiration based.  I can't tell in advance what will come out, because I am not doing this by deliberation, following some corporate vision/objective plan.

I consider this web site a fan fiction site, where we are like teen age girls exchanging short fan fiction (alternative scenarios) about our favorite characters from Hunger Games.  I may have been too creative last month.  Responded to an email from Munch, and went deep into alternative personality mode.  It is what my Id wanted ... "Remember The Krell"!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 07, 2019, 05:44:15 PM
You give Jordan Peterson far too much credit. He's made his living off of telling people what they like to hear, while being just vague enough about his own opinions that he could wiggle out of any controversies when necessary. Part of that strategy is appealing to Christian ideology, while attempting to keep just enough distance that one couldn't simply peg him as a Christian. Basically, he's a faker and a coward.

Anyone who appears-thrives as a result of a divisive climate, make money and fame from by feeding into that environment is not worth your attention. Can't offer anything useful by default.   

While he is openly a right winger and a conservative, he denies that and he describes himself a 'British liberal' -he means classical liberal, I guess lol- and a 'traditionalist'. LOL That's the defenition of a charlatan. They are like bacteria. Whenever there is a suitable environment, they occur and thrive. It's their time now. The humidity, temperature...lol all the natural circumstances; the a world going far right makes a perfect home for them.

However, he is very good at expressing certain things to the new divided society; exploiting the social media generation which is the current to top job in this era. Enough time passes, these figures will be gone and replaced by others. They are reactionary figures. But then there is also figures who can give a reactions to the needs of the time they live. You can't do that by just marketing and debating skills. Two very different figures. One changes things, others make money and then get forgotten.

Most of his Peterson's audience is made of atheist, the red pill male group. They are almost all white het males in need of being a part of a group. But as they can't go anywhere further than 'far right', people who appeal to them naturally intersect with Christians; religious lot in general. Because doesn't matter what distinction they try to make, these social media movements are bound to fall back into that set of ideology, because that's where they belong to.  There is no way around it. Right wing and the religious. Bread and butter.

So Peterson has to adopt a Christian audience in this way or another. Or he can't expand. He even has a muslim, or secular conservative far right audience over here.   

When the red pill came to Turkey a few years ago, the people who translated and spread it, tried to create a highly secular image, claimed that it is progressive, just reactionary to anything goes wrong. But it just took more than a year for it to drop from league they imagined and embraced by the islamists. LOOL

Because the social realtionships, the models of male-female relationship fits theirs perfectly and they even started to look positively to the 'idea' of evolution. I am serious. This is really happening guys. LOOL Well, when there is a promise of pussy, you can accomplish the impossible it seems.

Oh the double-triple irony. A social media male movement, originated in western atheists groups that claims western culture has been run on gynocentrism and as a result is collapsing; produces so called arguments from evolutionary psychology in hope for waking up the world male population to create a new world culture. They are largely far right; suffer from racism or xenophobia.   

This spreads at light speed around the world to the Middle East and such places where the word 'evolution' is equal to 'so why do we still have monkeys then' at best, becomes a major trend and gets celebrated by islamists, who starts blogs and sites on why the 'womenfolk' is like that; the miracle of evolutionary psychology! 'Hey these Westerners are not so bad, evolution makes some sense after all' and some think 'I think we can live there' and the ones already living in esp. in the US start to see themselves as the 'the oppressed white het male' while they are the number one target group for far right, racist, xenophobic, anti-feminists groups they love so much. 

And while males in this groups profess their hatred for Western women, these ones do that to the middle eastern women. First group wants to have Eastern or middle eastern women because they are more likely to fit in a red pill bride model, while the secular sub groups are going after western women -esp. Russians- because Russian women are treated so badly in general, fit white beauty norms which is a must you see, and the majority is refusing Turkish women because they suffer from feminism, lol.

This goes on and on.

Do you know how many people learned English just because of this trend(s)? Secular, atheist or islamist alike? And think they are learning about 'evolution'? Why, because it offers sex; women. And the central idea is to change the female centered culture and life oppressing men. By what? Arrenging their whole lives around females; presence or absence of them.

Somebody count the ironies. I am dizzy. The heterosexual male has never been this humiliated in entire history.

These people love Peterson and his ilk. They don't discriminate. These people are like 'heroes' to them. I am sure a lot of them see him and similar figures as 'saviours'.     

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Peterson has had a young male audience.  Marxist Feminism has its audience (currently brain washing college students).  Peterson opposes both feminism and Marxism.  I have been sympathetic to Peterson.  Though I am not his "groupie".

I don't feel threatened by ideas, no matter how bad they are.  Let the psychopaths rage on, like characters from Shakespeare's Tempest.

Humans mostly self harm or mutually harm.  Sad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on August 08, 2019, 06:24:39 AMMarxist Feminism has its audience (currently brain washing college students).

OMG. You're sounding like PR. If you think college students are being brainwashed, you need to go back to college, because you know nothing.
--Fulke Greville--

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 08, 2019, 09:46:17 AM
OMG. You're sounding like PR. If you think college students are being brainwashed, you need to go back to college, because you know nothing.

BTW, whatever happened to PR?

Blackleaf

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 08, 2019, 10:12:39 AM
BTW, whatever happened to PR?

He got banned, I think. Not sure why. Probably said something racist, if I had to guess. I think the mods tolerated more from him than they would have from someone who wasn't such an established member.
--Fulke Greville--

josephpalazzo

Huh, it's too bad. PR had an extreme right-wing POV. But nevertheless there are extreme left-wing POV's, which is tolerated. This is an atheist forum, and atheists of all political stripes should be welcomed. MHO.