Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Could "the real god" convert you?

Started by Jagella, June 23, 2019, 12:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 23, 2019, 05:50:00 PM
Yeah, then he did some miracles...

Inconsistent scriptures?  You bet.  Fiction?  You bet.  Why take a fiction at its word, to disprove a fiction.  Do I need to convince people that water is wet?

There are no miracles as you define them, you know it to be so.  So why the "play dumb" rhetoric?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on June 23, 2019, 06:23:55 PM
Simply if god was real, I'd destroy him with logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9bny88OuY

That is why Seri/Cortana is your goddess.  How was Vulcan BTW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QRvTv_tpw0

That personal assistant doesn't sound much like Spock.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on June 23, 2019, 06:45:35 PM
That is why Seri/Cortana is your goddess.  How was Vulcan BTW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QRvTv_tpw0

That personal assistant doesn't sound much like Spock.

Mine would have had a more Australian twang, in the Hugh Jackmany kind of dialect
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on June 23, 2019, 06:52:46 PM
Mine would have had a more Australian twang, in the Hugh Jackmany kind of dialect

If you don't have an avatar of your phone assistant, how can you tell if it has pointy ears or not?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 23, 2019, 06:43:02 PM
If there are two gods, then you need to tithe twice (aka 20%) please.

I'd rather go through teething again than go through tithing...

Besides, 20% of nothing isn't very much.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 23, 2019, 06:44:47 PM
So why the "play dumb" rhetoric?

Rhetoric? I think not - I am dumb! LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on June 23, 2019, 06:42:10 PM
Poetry is a miracle.  You must take poetry literally or not at all.

That and it was a common epigram by Middle Eastern people, not original to Jesus.

What could poetry mean?  Take a class in poetry appreciation.

Or do you think the Ancient Mariner was a real person who shot an albatross?
if you're going to quote the babble but then ignore it at the same time....er.....what's the point you're making again?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Sal1981

"Her" was a pretty good movie, a bit too anthropomorphic an AI though. People have this misconception that AI will think like us, it will think nothing like us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7Lo5MKIws

Jagella

Quote from: aitm on June 23, 2019, 02:09:35 PM
Won't say a "real" God could not convert me but, convert me from what?

Could a real god convert you away from whatever your current beliefs are? If you're an atheist, for example, might she get you to believe in her as a god? If you're protestant, could a god make a Catholic out of you, and so on?

QuoteA "real" God would not resemble any of our versions of God...

You're probably right. The gods of religion are obviously man-made, so a real god would not look so phony.

Quote...so would most likely not need to be ass kissed so no need for conversion.

It seems reasonable to me that a real, all-mighty god wouldn't be so petty and insecure as to demand worship to stoke his ego. He would be perfectly complete and neither need nor want anything from us.

But by "conversion" I mean a change in your beliefs as a result of encountering a real god--a different god if you already believe in a god.

Jagella

Quote from: Shiranu on June 23, 2019, 04:14:48 PM

QuoteAfter Jesus identified himself and asked Paul why he was persecuting him (an odd question coming from an all-powerful being)...

Note: I am an atheist, I only say this from a story-telling point of view.

Jesus isn't asking for his sake, he is asking for Paul's sake. People do this all the time, asking a question they know the answer to just to make the other person think.

I always thought that by "him" Jesus meant his followers being persecuted rather than himself personally. The quotation is ambiguous, however, so I guess we'll never know what "Jesus" meant.

QuoteAnyways, to answer the question; yes, I would believe in god if showed himself to me. I wouldn't be happy about it given the amount of suffering he allows, but if I know sky daddy is watching me you best believe I'm going to kiss his ass as much as I must to avoid damnation.

I suppose I would do the same although I could never love such a god.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 23, 2019, 07:42:26 PM
if you're going to quote the babble but then ignore it at the same time....er.....what's the point you're making again?

Why do atheists quote the Bible?  Same reason I do.  Not all freethinkers are atheists.  A few of us are theists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on June 24, 2019, 12:10:53 AM
Why do atheists quote the Bible?  Same reason I do.  Not all freethinkers are atheists.  A few of us are theists.
Must be the meds this morning eh? First you say Jesus didn't promise miracles even though he did and then you go off about poetry as if you awoke in a different thread. Normal for you of course....just makes it all the more entertaining to see exactly how far off the rails does the train go.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 24, 2019, 08:39:54 AM
Must be the meds this morning eh? First you say Jesus didn't promise miracles even though he did and then you go off about poetry as if you awoke in a different thread. Normal for you of course....just makes it all the more entertaining to see exactly how far off the rails does the train go.

Argue both sides against the middle, same as you ;-)

No, there are no miracles.  There is no Jesus.  Atheists have rejected a fiction, like sports fans who hate someone else fantasy league.

I reject Bugs Bunny (thanks MikeCL, would never have thought of that without you).  So I guess I am so smart.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on June 24, 2019, 10:09:46 AM
Argue both sides against the middle, same as you ;-)

No, there are no miracles.  There is no Jesus.  Atheists have rejected a fiction, like sports fans who hate someone else fantasy league.

I reject Bugs Bunny (thanks MikeCL, would never have thought of that without you).  So I guess I am so smart.
Bugs Bunny will not be pleased!!!!

And neither will be Mel Blanc!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?