Trump Approves Strikes on Iran, but Then Abruptly Pulls Back

Started by drunkenshoe, June 21, 2019, 02:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 21, 2019, 10:34:31 PM
Yes, particularly if his admin continues to provoke a fight... and especially if it's over their nuclear enrichment program that he pulled out of the regulations on.

Nope. Only if Iran poses a unprovoked, legitimate and eminent threat to us would it be right.

Yes, is that you Lord Halifax?  If you don't realize that humans are predators, then enjoy being someone else's beta boy hamburger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA1Uz_TMzhs

The world history is war, war of every tribe against every other tribe.  Support your tribe!  (whichever it might be).

Right now the Iranians are a direct threat, in Syria, to Israel.  Not my tribe BTW.  But on the basis of fight-forward policy, there is every reason to join Israel in destroying the Iranian regime.  Not my policy.

I am a beta, I know my limitations.  And I will almost always vote for peace (which includes non-violent inter-tribal competition like the Olympics).

As pointed out by Tucker Carlson vs John Bolton ... you need to think twice before taking the advice of a Great White shark.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on June 21, 2019, 10:00:41 PMSo Trump is wrong if he attacks Iran, and Trump is wrong if he doesn't attack Iran.
Well, a more accurate statement for that last part would be to whip out a gun, wave it around a little bit, and then holster it.  And yeah, that's a tad fucked up, not as fucked up as pulling the trigger, but kinda bad, too.

The unspoken third option (and it's curious that you didn't think to articulate it, maybe you're hoping that we'd forget?) is of course to not escalate the situation to a war that *almost* no one wants.  Sure, you don't get a poll boost for not dropping bombs, but being a decent human being rarely earns accolades.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on June 21, 2019, 10:34:31 PMOnly if Iran poses a unprovoked, legitimate and eminent threat to us would it be right.
Or starts some major shit with an ally.  Though their main adversary is Saudi Arabia, and considering Saudi Arabia's lengthy rap sheet including ongoing you know, genocide... I dunno if I'd be too broken up about both of them savaging each other to death.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 21, 2019, 10:51:54 PM
Well, a more accurate statement for that last part would be to whip out a gun, wave it around a little bit, and then holster it.  And yeah, that's a tad fucked up, not as fucked up as pulling the trigger, but kinda bad, too.

The unspoken third option (and it's curious that you didn't think to articulate it, maybe you're hoping that we'd forget?) is of course to not escalate the situation to a war that *almost* no one wants.  Sure, you don't get a poll boost for not dropping bombs, but being a decent human being rarely earns accolades.

Well, since people want things.  Badly.  Such that the end justified the means, including warfare ... you will run across people like Herr Hitler.  Stalin was evil too, but more sly.  His intent was for Germany to fight France/England, to exhaustion, then stab Hitler in the back, and then the Warsaw pact would extend all the way to the English channel.  But the French/English folded too soon.  And England held out too long.  And Hitler got impatient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zrqzvtWio

Strategy is about what is in your mind vs what you think is in the mind of your opponent.

Hitler and Stalin are the only two alpha male politicians worth studying from the 20th century.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 21, 2019, 11:49:44 PM
https://babylonbee.com/news/in-act-of-aggression-iran-puts-its-country-right-next-to-our-aircraft-carriers?fbclid=IwAR1jZo92ZRMgQTWNkUYziH0wM3M6id7BZh-H1PhgGmNhCZgQEKEI6gtaLYQ

Where does policy come from?

IN the 1930s, we don't want any foreign wars.  So when Japan, Italy and Germany do bad things, we don't intervene.  When the Axis is successful, it gets stronger, future allies are let down, the future situation becomes more dire.  So the policy changed in 1948 ... the US will assume everyone is Hitler, and intervene early and often.  Forward deployment gets us the Korean War, and forward aggression get us the Vienam War.  That is why we have tried more than one color-revolution in Iran, and assisted Saddam Hussein as long as he was fighting Iran.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Why would you believe a shit bag like Obama or Hillary?

Because neither one was a lifelong mafia scumbag like Trump.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on June 22, 2019, 01:56:42 AM

Because neither one was a lifelong mafia scumbag like Trump.

Love some people, hate some people.  Usually ones we don't know personally.

What is this?  Partisanship and psychopathology.  The usual monkey shines.

BTW - I don't love any of these politicians.  But I find the Roman Mob sport of thumbs up/thumbs down to be mildly amusing,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator#/media/File:Jean-Leon_Gerome_Pollice_Verso.jpg

When in Rome do as the Romans do, capiche?  I find your anti-Italian prejudice ... disturbing.  Guido!  I have a job for you ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Sal1981

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 21, 2019, 02:32:13 AM
What do you think about it? Was this real? He wanted to do it, but generals pulled back? Or was it a show down?
He wanted to, put someone in his cabinet stopped him before he went all bananas.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 21, 2019, 10:00:41 PM
Like Obama, like Hillary?  Yes, ordering death is a rush.  Even better, being in the line of fire yourself.  An ugly truth about humanity.

So Trump is wrong if he attacks Iran, and Trump is wrong if he doesn't attack Iran.  And he is the crazy one?

BTW ... Tucker Carlson, has John Bolton to rights ... let you haters heads explode with that.
Why do you insist on living in the past!? Obama is gone, Clinton is gone - we have to deal with the world we have now, not the world as you imagined it years ago. And now we have Uncle Scam to deal with.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 22, 2019, 01:29:48 PM
Why do you insist on living in the past!? Obama is gone, Clinton is gone - we have to deal with the world we have now, not the world as you imagined it years ago. And now we have Uncle Scam to deal with.

Hillary is god, she is immortal.  She is the perpetual zombie candidate for the D party as in Death party ;-)

The world as it is, can't end soon enough.  Death to you all, evil monkey people. ;-(

Nobody got the obvious joke in the OP title?  Coitus interruptus?

Where is the Resistance to Ming the Merciless when you need them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTHypbLlkE

How about the dementia y'all have today?  Silly silly man.

Every politician ever ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7KgR_H9VsI
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

perhaps it is simply the move he perfected for sex and thought...why not?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 22, 2019, 10:46:32 PM
Nobody got the obvious joke in the OP title?  Coitus interruptus?
Got it, thought it too obvious to need a mention.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 23, 2019, 05:29:38 PM
Got it, thought it too obvious to need a mention.

Some people are so INCEL they need reminding?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.