Woman poisons her entire family

Started by Smartmarzipan, June 22, 2013, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Quote from: "Shiranu"Johan might have a case if the majority of violence was committed by the mentally ill. I disagree with this premise so I find her entire argument lacking.

As for the subject on topic: Yeah, most likely some sort of psycho person with mental issues
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

Well, guns, like it or not make killing real fucking easy.. Anyone with a finger can do it.. MOST people have them..
Poison takes a bit of planning and you can use all kinds of shit readily available almost anywhere. For that matter you can poison someone with minute amounts of fecal matter and not have to buy a damned thing..  Still, with guns..it doesn't take a hell of a lot of planning.. Poison takes malice and forethought so someone poisoning someone else might not be deranged, just a fucking piece of shit.. Shitty people are everywhere and a whole shit load of em have guns too..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

FrankDK

> And here I thought I was going to read a thread about a woman who poisoned her family. I should have known better.

There's an article in the latest Scientific American (July 2013) that indicates men are more likely to kill a significant other (or anyone else, for that matter) with a gun than any other means.  Women, however, are more likely to kill a significant other or family member with a blunt object, knife, or poison than with a gun.

Frank

Johan

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Well, guns, like it or not make killing real fucking easy.. Anyone with a finger can do it.. MOST people have them..
Poison takes a bit of planning and you can use all kinds of shit readily available almost anywhere. For that matter you can poison someone with minute amounts of fecal matter and not have to buy a damned thing..  Still, with guns..it doesn't take a hell of a lot of planning.. Poison takes malice and forethought so someone poisoning someone else might not be deranged, just a fucking piece of shit.. Shitty people are everywhere and a whole shit load of em have guns too..
In one case, someone I knew was stabbed to death when he made the unfortunate mistake of getting into a fight with his lover while his lover was off his meds. In another case, there was a local woman I knew who was strangled to death. Not a whole lot of pre-planning going on in either of those scenarios. No guns either.

I have said many times that gun laws in this country need to be more restrictive. I still stand by that. But I also believe that trying to control guns is not the way to fix the homicide problem in this country anymore than I believe bubble gum is the way to fix a leaking roof. And that is what I think this particular case helps to show. That's all I'm saying.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Shiranu"Johan might have a case if the majority of violence was committed by the mentally ill. I disagree with this premise so I find her entire argument lacking.

As for the subject on topic: Yeah, most likely some sort of psycho person with mental issues
[ Image ]

Oh, I didn't realize one case by a mentally ill woman therefor means all murder cases are caused by mentally ill people. Damn, I do deserve a face palm...

Come on now.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Johan

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "Johan"

[ Image ]

Oh, I didn't realize one case by a mentally ill woman therefor means all murder cases are caused by mentally ill people. Damn, I do deserve a face palm...

Come on now.
No, you didn't realize that I was talking about more issues than just people being mentally ill. We live in a desensitized culture (compared to when are parents were kids) and people are much more apt to kill now than  they were when I was a kid. That doesn't mean they're mentally ill, but it does mean that the problem of people being more apt to kill others has more to do with people, and culture, and parenting, and yes even mental illness than it has to do with guns. You completely missed that. So yeah, it gets a facepalm.

Oh and Johan is a boys name. So yeah, that gets a facepalm too.

Aroura33

The desensitized thing is BS, though I grant the rest (parenting, mental illness, etc.). People are actually far LESS likely to kill another person now than at any other time in human history. Murder rates, despite having a nearly 1:1 per capta rate of guns in the US, and our shiity mental health coverage,  is at an all time low and still dropping.

The desensitized argument usuaaly blames movies-TV and/or video games, though all recent studies show no correlation. So maybe it would help if you clarified what you mean by desensitized, and also links showing murder to be more common now than say, 20 or 50 or 100 years ago.

Here are links showing the plumiting murder rates, though the first link tries to link it with lead, the fact is murder is down regardless of why.

//http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/05/us-murder-rate-track-be-lowest-century//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Homicide_victimization_by_race.jpg
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Shiranu

QuoteNo, you didn't realize that I was talking about more issues than just people being mentally ill. We live in a desensitized culture (compared to when are parents were kids) and people are much more apt to kill now than they were when I was a kid.

Already refuted.

QuoteThat doesn't mean they're mentally ill, but it does mean that the problem of people being more apt to kill others has more to do with people, and culture, and parenting, and yes even mental illness than it has to do with guns.

Again refuted, but I agree with this. But if you are going to say, "See! It is a bigger issue than just guns!" on a story about a woman with mental illness... well, its hard not to think about mental illness.

And its funny you talk about culture, when its the pro-gun culture that is a part of the problem. Do you only mean the parts of culture YOU think is the problem?

QuoteOh and Johan is a boys name. So yeah, that gets a facepalm too.

I have a family member who goes by Johan, her name being Johana. She is obviously a she. Therefor since all the Johan's I know are female, my obvious thought would be... female.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur