News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Quest for Truth

Started by Absolute_Agent, June 16, 2019, 09:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 13, 2019, 11:04:43 AM
So what do you think of the multiverse concept?  Ever read Brian Greene?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0307278123/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Deus summus

Yeah, I've read Greene. The only multiverse I have any confidence in is the level one multiverse, also known as the quilted multiverse. The others are more problematic, and not immediately apparent as to their existence. I don't know that any of them are testable or falsifiable.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Absolute_Agent

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 13, 2019, 01:23:25 PM
Yeah, I've read Greene. The only multiverse I have any confidence in is the level one multiverse, also known as the quilted multiverse. The others are more problematic, and not immediately apparent as to their existence. I don't know that any of them are testable or falsifiable.
Cool.  How about quantum computers you follow that much?

Deus summus

Unbeliever

Yeah, but they're not quite ready for prime time, though they may improve pretty quickly. I don't know what they'll do for human well-being, but I hope they'll do some good. They may even be revolutionary, don't know yet.
God Not Found

aileron

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 13, 2019, 10:53:31 AM
God created everything, including Jesus (AS).

Woah, dude... You're going to hell as a heretic. See you there soon.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Absolute_Agent

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 11, 2019, 05:46:06 PM

I've yet to understand why I should rely on "scripture" for my worldview. Why should I believe that people who lived thousands of years ago had any sort of knowledge of any gods, or anything else? When all those scriptures disagree with each other and even themselves in many caes? And none of them are in any way verifiable. No one even know who wrote the vast majority of "scripture." So if you feel the need or desire to believe every word just because it's written in "scripture," you go right ahead, but don't expect everyone else to believe just because you do.
Much of it is corroborated by archeological evidence and older texts. Also the Qur'an corroborates the Bible, and is full of scientific information that wasn't discovered until the modern era.

Deus summus

Sal1981

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 13, 2019, 03:59:43 PM
Much of it is corroborated by archeological evidence and older texts. Also the Qur'an corroborates the Bible, and is full of scientific information that wasn't discovered until the modern era.

Deus summus

Bullshit

Hydra009

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 13, 2019, 10:53:31 AMAdditionally, non-material beings living in a parallel reality on Earth (also created by God) induced our ancestors to worship them.
Ripping off Elder Scrolls lore?  Stop right there, criminal scum!

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 13, 2019, 03:59:43 PM

Deus summus

If you choose to believe that it's fine with me, but I don't find it believable.
God Not Found

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 12, 2019, 01:52:52 AM
Right mate, that was a fantastically enlightening discourse into the mind of a non-anti-theism yet anti-theist atheist.  I'm not ignoring anything you say; sometimes though I press down hard in a focused direction to sort of squeeze the juice out of a particular construct.  I'm crystal clear now about where many of you are coming from.  Thanks much.

Now to get to the heart of what God can offer you if you're interested.  First thing you need to know is how deceptively simple it all is.  Not because God is deceptive, but people are deceived by their own suspicion and lack of trust in pure goodness.  Secondly, there's been a lot of corruption among religions so most of the time you're getting a warped version of the facts, or some of them missing.  Thirdly, all major religions have a common origin, but each is suited to the cultures they were organic to.  It seems like they're all saying different things but it all points the same direction.  It's not important where you start, but THAT you start.  Why were these things revealed in all different formats and different cultures, and why did God make so many cultures and languages anyway?  God you see is a bit playful.  He loves variety and creativity.  He loves the intricate nuances of people relating to one another through different modes of thought.  Fourthly, the main goal of religions is to get you in touch with a reality that's way beyond the physical time-space dimension.  There's an infinite number of ways to do that, but each involves doing a bit of "rewiring" on your mind.  But God isn't a cruel tyrant so He would never force it upon you.  Having created you He knows the perfect way to get you into that state of mind in such a way that it will be a lasting change, no regrets, and no loss of your existing capabilities.  What's the point of all that?  Well, it's indescribably blissful, incomparable--something you would sell all the gold in the world for if you could taste it.  Now, the methodology is a bit bumpy at times because you'll be facing your inner demons--the parts of you that you always avoid because they're ugly.  But God is able to transform those into something exquisitely beautiful with your permission.  Also, it is by no means a passive process, it involves effort on your part. What throws so many people off is they just can't accept that God wants them to be happy.  It's too scary to trust.  But trust is exactly what God loves from you.  And He can be trusted 100%.  When you learn to trust God you can soar to undreamt-of heights; it's like seeing in color for the first time having lived your life in black and white.  Maybe it sounds too good to be true.  Maybe you've heard all this before.  But  I'm not just rattling off a script.  I experience this almost every day, and it gets better and better.

So these are the goods you asked about.  Care to proceed?

Anti-theistic regarding almost everything it puts in practice. Not anti the idea itself as an idea. (I mean you did ask how being without god could possibly NOT be AGAINST the IDEA of god, that's why I delved in there in the first place.) Just making that little distinction there.

Also don't really think I asked for those goods? I mean, more power to you? I'm glad for you, that you supposedly understand the inner machinations of the supposed being that supposedly is all-knowing. But I don't really see what I can do with that. Or what I am supposed to.
Well said, don't get me wrong. But too many words for too little substance, for my taste.

Proceed on, if you want. I'm just not sure what you are hoping for me to reply to this.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Absolute_Agent

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 13, 2019, 04:15:13 PM
Anti-theistic regarding almost everything it puts in practice. Not anti the idea itself as an idea. (I mean you did ask how being without god could possibly NOT be AGAINST the IDEA of god, that's why I delved in there in the first place.) Just making that little distinction there.

Also don't really think I asked for those goods? I mean, more power to you? I'm glad for you, that you supposedly understand the inner machinations of the supposed being that supposedly is all-knowing. But I don't really see what I can do with that. Or what I am supposed to.
Well said, don't get me wrong. But too many words for too little substance, for my taste.

Proceed on, if you want. I'm just not sure what you are hoping for me to reply to this.
Interesting that you aren't anti-theism.  How is that possible?  I mean don't you see most other atheists also opposing the idea of God (not just the actions of theists)?  Maybe it's a misperception.

Deus summus

Unbeliever

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but that doesn't mean I'm anti-Santa Claus.
God Not Found

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 13, 2019, 05:46:15 PM
Interesting that you aren't anti-theism.  How is that possible?  I mean don't you see most other atheists also opposing the idea of God (not just the actions of theists)?  Maybe it's a misperception.

Deus summus

I feel like I already explained this to you, using the 100 million euro suitcase example.
Did I lose you somewhere along the line?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Absolute_Agent

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 13, 2019, 04:13:25 PM
If you choose to believe that it's fine with me, but I don't find it believable.
Why thank you.  Have you read the Qur'an?

Deus summus

Unbeliever

You already asked me that, and I said no. Apparently the Qur'an can't be translated from the Arabic, and I don't read Arabic.
God Not Found