News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Quest for Truth

Started by Absolute_Agent, June 16, 2019, 09:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 11, 2019, 06:21:29 PM
Yeah, drunken natives ;-)  Otherwise waste thousands of man hours.
Yeah--just like every other religion--all of which are man made.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 11, 2019, 06:29:38 PM
Can't take the opium?  Get out of the den ;-)

People here express opinions like they are demi-gods (which they all are), but like to pretend they aren't.  Hard to square with atheism.
Damn it, Baruch--did you take your meds?  Not wait long enough? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on August 11, 2019, 06:29:38 PM
Can't take the opium?  Get out of the den ;-)

People here express opinions like they are demi-gods (which they all are), but like to pretend they aren't.  Hard to square with atheism.
Atheism is just a standard position. Don't give it that much credit, that can't be explained better with pretty much any other -ism.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 11, 2019, 06:31:29 PM
Yeah--just like every other religion--all of which are man made.

Dissing native cultures.  Do Nazca people scalp ... tickets?  I would be worried if I were you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 11, 2019, 06:38:39 PM
Atheism is just a standard position. Don't give it that much credit, that can't be explained better with pretty much any other -ism.

Yes, like any cheap dictionary, that ran out of letters at M.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 11, 2019, 06:45:22 PM
Dissing native cultures.  Do Nazca people scalp ... tickets?  I would be worried if I were you.
I am worried.  About you.  I am sorry your depression is so deep.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 11, 2019, 06:50:24 PM
I am worried.  About you.  I am sorry your depression is so deep.

Practicing medicine without a license?  Only poets can do that, with poetry.  That is what I do.  Free verse.  Otherwise I would have to charge you.

Move activity is slow.  But I am patient (when I see the doctor anyway).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 11, 2019, 06:57:07 PM
Practicing medicine without a license?  Only poets can do that, with poetry.  That is what I do.  Free verse.  Otherwise I would have to charge you.

Move activity is slow.  But I am patient (when I see the doctor anyway).
Since you are a patient, your doc is letting you down!!

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 11, 2019, 06:58:25 PM
Since you are a patient, your doc is letting you down!!

Not really.  She basically prescribes meds, after doing a diagnosis.  Like most doctors.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 11, 2019, 07:01:27 PM
Not really.  She basically prescribes meds, after doing a diagnosis.  Like most doctors.
Then start taking your meds and stop missing doses. 

And you could probably use some of my magic brownies. 

Hydra009

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 09, 2019, 08:47:26 AMI never said your philosophical distinction was not true, yet I have met very few non anti-theist atheists. (There's a tongue twister).  I consider Cavebear an exception.  Counting him there are now two that I personally know of.  I consider myself a non anti-atheist theist (another tongue twister).
If religion weren't so enmeshed in politics around here, I likely wouldnt care much about it.  Unfortunately, most of the world hasn't yet reached the point of being so thoroughly secular that they have luxury of being indifferent.

QuoteBack to this dilemma about what exactly is an atheist.  I'm still trying to figure it out.  Because many atheists are saying to the effect, "we aren't atheist, we're agnostic."
It can be very difficult to get a bearing on what people do and don't believe, especially when there can be social consequences for the wrong answer.

But, at the end of the day, people either believe in Gods or other supernatural beings, or they don't.  The exact label doesn't much matter.  A rose is a rose...

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 11, 2019, 09:43:09 AM
If one is without belief in God, how can that one NOT be opposed the idea of God?  I haven't met one atheist who does not oppose the idea of God.  You wish that you could ignore it, but you can't.  Because the fact you can't ignore it betrays the subconscious knowledge that there is something that must be opposed in order to maintain your intellectual position, which implies that God exists.Throughout recorded history, the existence of God has been the default position.  Civilization is founded upon this position.  That's why simply asserting that with some scientific mumbo jumbo atheism is the default position simply doesn't work.  You would have to first go back to the prehistoric times, have everyone become cavemen, then rebuild a new civilization from scratch founded on atheism.  Which you can never do. 

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I don't impose the idea of god itself. I can be without it without opposing it. It is like this:  I am without the belief that I will find a suitcase with 100 million euros in it. I wouldn't mind it happening, but I'm not going to build my life around the assumption that it will. I'm open to finding the suitcase, but people never can quite tell or agree on where it will be exactly, nor what color or shape it is, nor the kind of bills are in it. It doesn't seem likely that it exists, therefore. So I won't get into debt just yet, under the probably false assumption that I'll be ablo to pay back my loans tomorrow. Still: show me the money! Enrich my life.

Though, what I do take problems with, as an antitheist, not as an atheist, is that theists and religions impose such an unproven and most likely completely false assumption on people and get them to live their lives by it, as if it were true. And that, I feel, creates a lot of problems both on a private and on a societal level.

Also, have you heard nothing I said about atheism leading many to antitheist, ON TOP of their atheism? It's like you choose to ignore things, AA.

And lastly, mate, saying 'most people agree with me' does not an argument make.

I guess, I don't know, I'm sorry that the world isn't as out to get you as you think?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Absolute_Agent

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 11, 2019, 06:24:06 PM
Who created the 'counterfeit gods'?????? :)))))))  That's like saying that Bugs Bunny took out Daffy Duck, Taz, Yosemite Sam , Elemer Fudd---etc.  That is just one big guffaw! :grin:

The counterfeit gods are certain egocentric extraterrestrials and malevolent demons who induced men to worship things other than their Creator.

aileron

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 12, 2019, 01:00:13 AM

The counterfeit gods are certain egocentric extraterrestrials and malevolent demons who induced men to worship things other than their Creator.

Mmmmmkay.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez