News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Quest for Truth

Started by Absolute_Agent, June 16, 2019, 09:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 11, 2019, 04:14:15 PM
I can tell the difference between factual accounts and fantasies about an alien ant colony on the planet "Zohra" can't I?

I'm not so sure since you believe in the fantasy called God...

Absolute_Agent

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 11, 2019, 04:21:18 PM
I'm not so sure since you believe in the fantasy called God...
That's rich coming from a fantasy author.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 11, 2019, 04:39:59 PM
That's rich coming from a fantasy author.

That's right. I'm the expert. And I know when I see someone like you trapped in a fantasy. I wish I could say there's a way out for you, but you're too deep with your head in the sand. But as a consolation, you have a lot of company. So don't beat yourself too hard.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 11, 2019, 08:44:16 AM
The Brahmanda is an unending cycle of expansion and collapse.  The universe expands until it reaches a point where the energy of expansion is dissipated.  There is a brief pause then gravity starts the reverse process of contraction.  Contraction continues until things are all compressed into an infinitesimally small space (black hole).  Then there is an epic explosion (big bang) that restarts the expansion process.  The shape of the expanding/contracting universe is like an egg.

I know of at least two scientific models that allow for a universe of infinite temporal duration, both forwards and backward. In both of those the big bang we know of was only the latest in an infinite series of big bangs. Neither of them involve a spatial reversal that collapses into a singularity. Tolman has shown that that model can't continue forever due to entropy.

But the "ekpyrotic" cyclic cosmology of Steinhardt/Turok doesn't have that problem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_model

And neither does Penrose's conformal cyclic cosmology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_cyclic_cosmology

So it's at least theoretically possible to have a universe with no beginning or end, with no need of any creator.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 11, 2019, 10:57:38 AM
The existence of God has been documented since the dawn of civilization, in scriptures all over the world.

I've yet to understand why I should rely on "scripture" for my worldview. Why should I believe that people who lived thousands of years ago had any sort of knowledge of any gods, or anything else? When all those scriptures disagree with each other and even themselves in many caes? And none of them are in any way verifiable. No one even know who wrote the vast majority of "scripture." So if you feel the need or desire to believe every word just because it's written in "scripture," you go right ahead, but don't expect everyone else to believe just because you do.

Quote from: Mark Twain
You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say we are the ones that need help?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 11, 2019, 05:46:06 PM

I've yet to understand why I should rely on "scripture" for my worldview. Why should I believe that people who lived thousands of years ago had any sort of knowledge of any gods, or anything else? When all those scriptures disagree with each other and even themselves in many caes? And none of them are in any way verifiable. No one even know who wrote the vast majority of "scripture." So if you feel the need or desire to believe every word just because it's written in "scripture," you go right ahead, but don't expect everyone else to believe just because you do.

People love political ideology to give them direction to the welfare office ;-)  But I think for some people, sports gives direction to their life.  Football/soccer in particular.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 11, 2019, 01:51:20 PM
Okay.  And........................??????

Explanation ... I am a genius because I voted for Hillary?  Basically cult of personality.  If you do it right, you can end up like Lenin or Mao.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 11, 2019, 02:06:36 PM
Not so much any more.  According to the latest archaeological hypothesis, they were marked out by the priests of the tribe, then they were followed by the entire tribe at certain times of the year--sort of like the labyrinth the Catholic church is so fond of.  As the tribe was walking the lines, they threw pots down which is why there is a lot of broken pottery in the lines.  They suggest the figures were not meant to be seen from above.

Yeah, drunken natives ;-)  Otherwise waste thousands of man hours.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 11, 2019, 04:05:55 PM
You're welcome to use your own definitions for words, just as you're welcome to drive on a red light and stop on a green light.

Bad idea, but your choice.

Hey, people around the Appalachians around here, drive like that!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 11, 2019, 01:52:29 PM
I knew someone would fall for that... hook, line and sinker... oh, a fish called Baruch.

A fish called Wanda? ... not me.  But it was a funny movie.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 11, 2019, 03:47:27 PM
All counterfeit gods were eliminated by the only true God.

Who created the 'counterfeit gods'?????? :)))))))  That's like saying that Bugs Bunny took out Daffy Duck, Taz, Yosemite Sam , Elemer Fudd---etc.  That is just one big guffaw! :grin:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 11, 2019, 03:53:48 PM
All praise Lord Brahman.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
-- President Merkin Muffley

Lord Brahman made a mint, selling underwear to the goddesses.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 11, 2019, 06:24:06 PM
Who created the 'counterfeit gods'?????? :)))))))  That's like saying that Bugs Bunny took out Daffy Duck, Taz, Yosemite Sam , Elemer Fudd---etc.  That is just one big guffaw! :grin:

Aristotle (unmoved mover) and Christian apologetics from the 2nd century CE already dealt with that.  The Muslims are guilty of borrowing it.

Obviously we create our own gods (yi dam in Tibetan) ... counterfeit gods are created by people who's day job is counterfeiting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 11, 2019, 06:20:17 PM
Explanation ... I am a genius because I voted for Hillary?  Basically cult of personality.  If you do it right, you can end up like Lenin or Mao.
I'm sorry, Baruch, you forgot to take your medicine today.  Put the keyboard down, and go take it.  Give it a few minutes to take effect.  Then come back to the keyboard.  Or not.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 11, 2019, 06:27:46 PM
I'm sorry, Baruch, you forgot to take your medicine today.  Put the keyboard down, and go take it.  Give it a few minutes to take effect.  Then come back to the keyboard.  Or not.

Can't take the opium?  Get out of the den ;-)

People here express opinions like they are demi-gods (which they all are), but like to pretend they aren't.  Hard to square with atheism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.