Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Men-only gardening clubs

Started by Smartmarzipan, June 22, 2013, 09:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Men's gardening clubs alive and reasonably well in the 21st century
http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-fa ... ell-in-the

QuoteWhat's your mental image of a gardener? Do you see gardening as a woman's hobby? Or is it more of a guy thing?

Truth is, no one seems to know exactly who gardens more, men or women. In fact, the National Gardening Association in Williston, Vt., which tracks national gardening trends, doesn't even survey gardeners by gender. They survey gardening participation by households, according to NGA Research Director Bruce Butterfield.

If, in an information-driven Internet age, it seems surprising that a reliable ratio of men-to-women gardeners isn't available, here's something that may be even more startling. A men-only garden club is still alive and, if not completely well, it has at least survived 85 years, a new millennium and a world of changes in social acceptance after the idea to form it was conceived in 1928. The organization, the Men's Garden Clubs of America (MGCA), was officially founded in Chicago in 1932.

Membership hit its peak in the 1980s when there were about 10,000 members in 143 clubs in 31 states. But like many volunteer groups, since that high water mark the organization has felt the effects of competition for discretionary household income. While there are still clubs in large cities, suburban areas and towns of every size, especially in middle America, the number of clubs has fallen to 39 in 15 states and membership has dropped to about 2,800.

Huh. I knew men had a lot of clubs, but never gardening. Every day I learn something new...
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

aitm

I garden and I have a club....so technically....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Plu

I always considered gardening a guy's thing, so I guess I'm not surprised.

Shiranu

Makes sense to me as well, all the gardeners I knew were men.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

I have a garden and a green house because I hate store bought tomato's that taste like waxed fruit. Until you taste home grown vegetables and fruit you have no idea how bad store bought ones are. Yuk! Fresh vegetables and fruit.  =P~  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Best gardener I ever met was my sister. Shows what you people know. Women are these sensitive beings who are in touch with mother nature, don't ya know?

AllPurposeAtheist

They're obviously all gay.. Real men don't garden, they 'landscape'.
All except my dad and both grandfathers and the millions of farmers throughout history and my manly self of course. :D/
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

This whole thread is sexist! Oh wait..... Smarzie started it. Oops. (leaves quietly)

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"They're obviously all gay.. Real men don't garden, they 'landscape'.
All except my dad and both grandfathers and the millions of farmers throughout history and my manly self of course. :D/

"Real men?" And here I thought they were Mexicans. :shock:   #-o  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "stromboli"Best gardener I ever met was my sister. Shows what you people know. Women are these sensitive beings who are in touch with mother nature, don't ya know?

*Burps loudly*

Yeah! Donch y'all know we're all delicate little fuckin' flowers?!?!

*sips beer*
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Hydra009

I know gardners of either sex.  I've never understood it to be a gendered thing.

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "pr126"I like gardening.

My patio garden 2013

That's really pretty PR
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "pr126"I like gardening.

My patio garden 2013

Really awesome PR!!
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

God hates gardeners! :evil: --The Westboro Baptist Church
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.