Speak of the Devil: How Demonizing "Whiteness" Spreads White Nationalism

Started by Sal1981, June 10, 2019, 06:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 15, 2019, 05:56:43 AM
Of course we got it from the Greeks.  "Politikos" is Greek.  The use of it later in very slightly different structure is fine, but derivitive.  Even the Romans didn't bother to change it much.

Not directly.  All words derive from Og, when he said "ug".  That proves what?  The French got it from the Greek, not the English, the English aren't educated enough.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 15, 2019, 07:19:11 AM
Not directly.  All words derive from Og, when he said "ug".  That proves what?  The French got it from the Greek, not the English, the English aren't educated enough.

Well, I suppose I might debate you that the truly original well-understood vocalization was "ack" when the first flint-knapping homo cut himself on his own sharp rock.  But that would be pushing proto-language too far back.

I never said the French got the word "politics" from the English.  That is an imagining from your own mind.  I said it came from Greek to the Romans who didn't change it much.  And since French, Italian, and Spanish all come from Roman Latin, they had it as well.  The English probably it from the French Normans when the Normans conquered England, but some English monks were exposed to Latin, so one can't be sure.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 15, 2019, 08:02:21 AM
Well, I suppose I might debate you that the truly original well-understood vocalization was "ack" when the first flint-knapping homo cut himself on his own sharp rock.  But that would be pushing proto-language too far back.

I never said the French got the word "politics" from the English.  That is an imagining from your own mind.  I said it came from Greek to the Romans who didn't change it much.  And since French, Italian, and Spanish all come from Roman Latin, they had it as well.  The English probably it from the French Normans when the Normans conquered England, but some English monks were exposed to Latin, so one can't be sure.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/politics ... originally spelled book of Aristotle "Polettiques" in mid 15th century, but modern meaning from 1769.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 15, 2019, 09:32:25 AM
https://www.etymonline.com/word/politics ... originally spelled book of Aristotle "Polettiques" in mid 15th century, but modern meaning from 1769.

Did you even notice that your own link source referred to "modeled on Aristotle's ta politika "affairs of state"?   The original word (greek), so far as I can find.  I'm not trying to be mean, but do you just grab things and not even read them?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 15, 2019, 09:42:34 AM
Did you even notice that your own link source referred to "modeled on Aristotle's ta politika "affairs of state"?   The original word (greek), so far as I can find.  I'm not trying to be mean, but do you just grab things and not even read them?

Yes, and do you ignore anything else to be noticed there ... namely the modern meaning came about relatively late.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.