News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Science Fiction.

Started by SoldierofFortune, June 06, 2019, 07:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SvZurich

Quote from: EmpJohnIV on November 25, 2019, 03:27:24 PM
...I am thinking of my favorite classic sci-fi book, Dune.

Dune's 6 books (ignore the ones by Frank's little boy) are my favorite "religious book" to offer people who start preaching the Buy-Bull/Koran/etc.  You have amazing Muslims working with a moral savior to overthrow tyranny and establish a path to reject tyranny forever.  Hope!

No hell, the God Emperor showed us a taste of what a hell is for a few thousand years in order to teach humanity to reject that.  I love it!
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

aitm

Quote from: SvZurich on March 02, 2020, 11:25:10 PM
Dune's 6 books (ignore the ones by Frank's little boy) are my favorite "religious book" to offer people who start preaching the Buy-Bull/Koran/etc.  You have amazing Muslims working with a moral savior to overthrow tyranny and establish a path to reject tyranny forever.  Hope!

No hell, the God Emperor showed us a taste of what a hell is for a few thousand years in order to teach humanity to reject that.  I love it!
Kimmy! How the hell are you?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SvZurich

Hi AITM!  I'm well.  Unemployed, but my ex-girlfriend lets me live here free (after I put too damn much money into this house when I could afford to) and a former coworker kicks me some money in the hopes I will return to the job when the season starts up again.

That leads to me returning here to cause mayhem, sometimes be clever, and to be annoying at will!  I win!

How've you been, darlin'?
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

aitm

I really hate to say how well it is going right now for fear of some crazy ass karma shit that i don't believe in taking aim at me for being arrogant. But .....all is great!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SvZurich

Huzzah!  You win!  Loki be praised!

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 02, 2020, 08:14:29 PM
Unfortunately, we are confined to earth.  Space is too vast.

That saves the rest of the galaxy from poo throwing monkey men.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: aitm on June 06, 2019, 08:43:32 AM
Maybe...at our present rate we are more likely to simply die here while a ill-prepared little ship sets off with a dozen or so hopefuls to some planet suspected of being rather hospitable

A strange visitor from another planet, upholding truth, justice, and the Marklar way.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 06, 2019, 08:43:32 AM
Maybe...at our present rate we are more likely to simply die here while a ill-prepared little ship sets off with a dozen or so hopefuls to some planet suspected of being rather hospitable.....only to die enroute.

alas....poor Yorick....we knew him well...

I was thinking more like ... "Slept overnight in a Holiday Inn Space Express" ... out of this world, and I woke up a genius! ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Gregory on March 02, 2020, 08:14:29 PM
Unfortunately, we are confined to earth.  Space is too vast.
Not over the long term.  Unfortunately, nowadays "long term thinking" means planning for lunch when it's already 10:30 in the morning.

I recommend Isaac Arthur's futurism videos.  I think he's overoptimistic about what's possible even over millions of years, but there's nothing fundamentally unsound in it.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

John Varley's "Red Thunder" series is a fun read. The Dr. Sumguy in that series simply created a space drive. Varley, as always, makes the twists seem plausible.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

The Disney movie "The Black Hole" was and still is a failure.  "Interstellar" is another version of this "Deus ex machina".  I am still waiting for Captain Nemo to free the world from tyranny.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SvZurich

Quote from: Baruch on March 05, 2020, 09:38:32 AM
The Disney movie "The Black Hole" was and still is a failure.

But, but, it has VINCENT and Old BOB and MAXIMILIAN!  The film was inspirational!

Sal1981

I kinda liked Disney's Black Hole movie. I remember it as being dark and sinister, particularly Maximilian.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 05, 2020, 11:43:38 AM
I kinda liked Disney's Black Hole movie. I remember it as being dark and sinister, particularly Maximilian.

Corporate Disney ... The Mouse ... is real and sinister.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 04, 2020, 05:22:30 PM
and I woke up a genius! ;-)

Then you must have been dreaming!  :-P
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman