News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Science Fiction.

Started by SoldierofFortune, June 06, 2019, 07:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 12, 2019, 01:30:05 AM
Um, how much would you pay me to insure you fall down?  I could come and wax your steps or something.

Seriously, stay safe and walk carefully.  We are both getting old.  In spite of everything, I would regret it if you just disappeared one day.  I mean, I would disappear too, as we are actually the same person...

Even 10 years ago, I fell all the way to the ground, on grass, because one foot toddled off a concrete walkway just 2 inches higher than the dirt level.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Ricardo

Is Human Cryogenics a science fiction?

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Science fiction is an interesting genre when you think about it, first because it's usually interesting in and of itself, second because, it's one of just a couple subgroups of fiction that has a name for its grouping:

Science Fiction
Historical Fiction
??
??

And pretty quickly, I can't think of another fiction genre.  Science Fiction can even be broken down into subcategories:

Super heroes
Space Travel
Time Travel
Dystopian

Other types of fiction can probably be broken into subgroups, but you have to start creating and naming the groups on your own.
When I was young and finally starting to read entire  books, science fiction immediately became my main area of interest, and while I've now expanded my interest to other areas, science fiction still remains my favorite type of fiction.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on October 02, 2019, 09:50:30 PM
Science fiction is an interesting genre when you think about it, first because it's usually interesting in and of itself, second because, it's one of just a couple subgroups of fiction that has a name for its grouping:

Science Fiction
Historical Fiction
??
??

And pretty quickly, I can't think of another fiction genre.  Science Fiction can even be broken down into subcategories:

Super heroes
Space Travel
Time Travel
Dystopian

Other types of fiction can probably be broken into subgroups, but you have to start creating and naming the groups on your own.
When I was young and finally starting to read entire  books, science fiction immediately became my main area of interest, and while I've now expanded my interest to other areas, science fiction still remains my favorite type of fiction.
I cut my reading teeth on Tom Swift and have been reading SF ever since.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 03, 2019, 12:20:27 AM
I cut my reading teeth on Tom Swift and have been reading SF ever since.
Asimov for me.  Someone recommended Foundation and I checked it out.  Absolutely blew me away.

The Tripod series, too.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 03, 2019, 07:33:28 AM
Asimov for me.  Someone recommended Foundation and I checked it out.  Absolutely blew me away.

The Tripod series, too.
I went from Tom Swift to Edger Rice Burroughs (but not Tarzan)--love all the John Carter books; especially Chess Men of Mars--my neighbor and I created the new board and extra chess pieces and played the game according to the rules in the book.  It was great fun. Then on to Asimov, Clark, Heinlein, and many others.  Loved The Foundation!  By the mid-'60's I had read most of Heinlein--but I grokked them all!  Still love SF, but I do play FO4 much more than I read SF these days.

Gawdzilla Sama

Burroughs was too formulaic for me. I read "Bullard of the Space Patrol" and then the Swift books, and then, in the seventh grade, I found Heinlein. Fuck that kiddie shit from then on.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 03, 2019, 11:02:15 AM
Burroughs was too formulaic for me. I read "Bullard of the Space Patrol" and then the Swift books, and then, in the seventh grade, I found Heinlein. Fuck that kiddie shit from then on.
When I moved on from the Swift books, I was on a small military base which had a small library.  They had a full set of John Carter of Mars series, so I latched onto that.  When I was in my late teens I found Heinlein, and it was a reading frenzy after that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 03, 2019, 12:16:00 PM
When I moved on from the Swift books, I was on a small military base which had a small library.  They had a full set of John Carter of Mars series, so I latched onto that.  When I was in my late teens I found Heinlein, and it was a reading frenzy after that.
Alexandria, Indiana, had a Carnegie donated library. You could see the entire collection from the center of the first floor. They had a few dozen scifi books.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 03, 2019, 12:38:11 PM
Alexandria, Indiana, had a Carnegie donated library. You could see the entire collection from the center of the first floor. They had a few dozen scifi books.
Nice.  Well, beyond nice!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 03, 2019, 12:56:24 PM
Nice.  Well, beyond nice!
Oops. Forgot the childrens' section, in the basement. Separate entrance, kept the noisy brats away from the serious readers.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I guess my first book that could be called sci-fi was A Wrinkle in Time. I don't know how many times I read it, but it was more than several.

The Golden Age of SF was extremely creative, in some ways, because authors had more leeway for their imaginations to roam. And early on, when hardly anything had been done, it was a little bit like speciation of life, finding and filling ecological niches. A lot of it was visionary, too, but not visionary enough. Clarke predicted the communications satellites, for example. But no one predicted the Hubble telescope or the LIGO detector. I always check the copywrite date of a sci-fi book, so I know what kind of technology to expect. If it's more than 50 years old, I know they probably won't have anything like an internet or smart phones.

I think my all-time favorite SF is the Ringworld series. I had a great time watching Louis Wu trying to figure the place out, and then to survive the place. What a romp!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman