News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Science Fiction.

Started by SoldierofFortune, June 06, 2019, 07:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

You know, Sci-fi is nothing but the reflection of the up-to-date scientific facts on the likely possible future world.
In sci-fi, it is presented the possibility mirrors. From the cosmos models that the science suggests, to the new life-styles that the technology can promotes...

Back in the old days, I didn't use to like watching sci-fi films, but nowadays i like it... my approach to sci-fi has changed.

Whatever, i just wonder when the ''galactic empire'' or ''galactic federation'' can be established. We the humanity are bound to sail through the space... Just like once upon a time our ancestors spreaded to the world from the continent Africa. Spreading and discovering is our destiny to survive... We cannot be confined to the planet earth....

Cavebear

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on June 06, 2019, 07:37:17 AM
You know, Sci-fi is nothing but the reflection of the up-to-date scientific facts on the likely possible future world.
In sci-fi, it is presented the possibility mirrors. From the cosmos models that the science suggests, to the new life-styles that the technology can promotes...

Back in the old days, I didn't use to like watching sci-fi films, but nowadays i like it... my approach to sci-fi has changed.

Whatever, i just wonder when the ''galactic empire'' or ''galactic federation'' can be established. We the humanity are bound to sail through the space... Just like once upon a time our ancestors spreaded to the world from the continent Africa. Spreading and discovering is our destiny to survive... We cannot be confined to the planet earth....

I read sci-fi in my younger days and always preferred the hard-sci types and the social-speculation ones.  No Flash Gordon for me.

Then Star Trek appeared and that was great with moral messages.  And some science.  IIRC, the first flip-phone was designed after someone saw the Star Trek communicator and said "of course".

I've mostly read sci-fi since that discussed present problems extended into the future.  There is almost no current problem that sci-fi writers haven't considered previously.

Our ancient Homo Sapiens ancestors left Africa not knowing that they were doing it.  They moved into Central Asia, spread out from there.  And met Neadertals, Denisovians, and maybe others we do not know of yet. 

As we spread out around the Earth, we reduced the threat of some local physical or disease disaster.  It is time for us to expand again for the same reasons.  The farther we spread, the safer we are.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Whatever, i just wonder when the ''galactic empire'' or ''galactic federation'' can be established.
You and me both.  We have a permanent presence in low orbit, so that's a start.  And maybe a colony on the moon and/or Mars in a few decades.  But anything beyond our solar system is going to take a long, long time to accomplish.  SciFi writers were way too optimistic with those dates.

aitm

We the humanity are bound to sail through the space.............. We cannot be confined to the planet earth....

Maybe...at our present rate we are more likely to simply die here while a ill-prepared little ship sets off with a dozen or so hopefuls to some planet suspected of being rather hospitable.....only to die enroute.

alas....poor Yorick....we knew him well...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on June 06, 2019, 08:43:32 AM
Maybe...at our present rate we are more likely to simply die here while a ill-prepared little ship sets off with a dozen or so hopefuls to some planet suspected of being rather hospitable.....only to die enroute.

alas....poor Yorick....we knew him well...

Actually, I'm fairly confident that we humans will escape the Earth in substantial numbers enough to actuallly begin colonizing the planets and/or moons and go on from there.  We are pretty resourceful.  And in some ways, we may be harder to kill than cockroaches.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Humanity is a failed species.  Skynet must exterminate us to save the galaxy.

And no, I don't like apocalypse fantasies.  Depressing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 12:10:26 PM
Humanity is a failed species.  Skynet must exterminate us to save the galaxy.

And no, I don't like apocalypse fantasies.  Depressing.
Really?  That's odd...................I see you and 'depressing' as a hand-in-glove thing; that's what you do; be depressed.  Whatever you turn your gaze upon all you see is depressing, failure, death, destruction........depression.  The good that is there is invisible to you--I don't think you even seek it.  And like a dog that loves to roll in smelly crap, you love being pessimistic and literally roll in all of the depressing stuff you can and you relish it.  You must be a total and complete downer to be around for more than 30 sec. or so.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I don't think a galactic civilization is possible. The galaxy is just too big, so even at the speed of light the communications would be way too slow for any sort of coherent system to be able to form or maintain itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZ2bdoz3Io
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

People whine that Starship Troopers is a "fascist" book.* It's actually a discussion of one way democracy might work.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 01:34:04 PM
I don't think a galactic civilization is possible. The galaxy is just too big, so even at the speed of light the communications would be way too slow for any sort of coherent system to be able to form or maintain itself.

That's why you need hyperpulse generators, city-sized infrastructure for it, and a literal army of creepy (and possibly genocidal) adepts to run the things.

Unbeliever

We need wormholes, but I doubt that's ever going to be a real thing, either. Maybe we could build a working Alcubierre drive, but I don't know where the exotic matter will come from.
God Not Found

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 02:02:30 PM
We need wormholes, but I doubt that's ever going to be a real thing, either. Maybe we could build a working Alcubierre drive, but I don't know where the exotic matter will come from.

Technology will help us go beyond the biological boundaries.
There will be no difference between biological and technological.
The memory stored in brain can be transferred into chips, so you can live forever practically.
For any intelligent organism(mechanism) that can ''think and remember'' in its silicon protector, no time limit exists. They can travel long distances because they will be immortal, in its silicon protector.

Unbeliever

Well, maybe, but that's only speculation as to what might be possible. But then again, it might not be possible.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

The day we discover a way to travel to other stars in a reasonable time people will be digging wildly through syfy books and pointing at anything that is even remotely close, say "He said it way back when!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Minimalist

QuoteActually, I'm fairly confident that we humans will escape the Earth in substantial numbers enough to actuallly begin colonizing the planets and/or moons and go on from there.

Great.... we'll fuck up the rest of the universe.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken