News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Science Fiction.

Started by SoldierofFortune, June 06, 2019, 07:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2019, 12:27:12 PM
Really?  That's odd...................I see you and 'depressing' as a hand-in-glove thing; that's what you do; be depressed.  Whatever you turn your gaze upon all you see is depressing, failure, death, destruction........depression.  The good that is there is invisible to you--I don't think you even seek it.  And like a dog that loves to roll in smelly crap, you love being pessimistic and literally roll in all of the depressing stuff you can and you relish it.  You must be a total and complete downer to be around for more than 30 sec. or so.

It is what it is.  Others see their wet dreams forming in front of them.  Usually I don't try to wake them from their tumescence.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 02:02:30 PM
We need wormholes, but I doubt that's ever going to be a real thing, either. Maybe we could build a working Alcubierre drive, but I don't know where the exotic matter will come from.

Exotic matter found in bongs.  Oregon is the center of the galaxy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 06, 2019, 01:37:56 PM
People whine that Starship Troopers is a "fascist" book.* It's actually a discussion of one way democracy might work.

If it isn't Karl Marx, it is Hitler himself.  The way the movie was made by a Europhile is ... proof what kind of utopia EUSR is building.  But that means that EUSR are the bugs.  It was made as a criticism of EU's worst nightmare ... not USSR, but USA.  Fuck Europe.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 02:44:26 PM
Well, maybe, but that's only speculation as to what might be possible. But then again, it might not be possible.

Science fiction and science fantasy are not the same.  People prefer the fantasy kind.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on June 06, 2019, 02:31:31 PM
Technology will help us go beyond the biological boundaries.
There will be no difference between biological and technological.
The memory stored in brain can be transferred into chips, so you can live forever practically.
For any intelligent organism(mechanism) that can ''think and remember'' in its silicon protector, no time limit exists. They can travel long distances because they will be immortal, in its silicon protector.

Everyone wants to be a Mac Pro, until their lithium battery starts to fail ....
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

If the solar system was the size of a coffee cup, the galaxy would be as big as North America.

As Douglas Adams pointed out, “Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 03:37:31 PM
If the solar system was the size of a coffee cup, the galaxy would be as big as North America.

As Douglas Adams pointed out, “Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9Q3zJ8IoU

Fantasy, manipulated by trans dimensional mice.  HHGTTG is wrong, Earth isn't mostly harmless.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Minimalist on June 06, 2019, 03:05:21 PM

Great.... we'll fuck up the rest of the universe.
The Crime Directive forbids that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Here's a video by Alcubierre, who invented a potentially usable warp drive:

QuoteCan humanity build an Alcubierre warp drive?
Can we go faster than light?

Dr. Miguel Alcubierre was inspired by Star Trek the Next Generation's example of warp drive faster than light technology on the starship Enterprise. In 1994 he wrote a paper on how we could bend and warp space and time to travel faster than light within the rules of Einstein's general relativity. NASA has and is currently exploring if it is possible to bend the fabric of space and achieve hyper fast space travel with the Eagle Works lab. John Michael Godier spoke with Dr. Miguel Alcubierre on the feasibility of the Alcubierre warp drive and if there has been any developments within physics, including the use of dark matter or dark energy, and anti-gravity, to be able to make this possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JafY92PhgKU
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2019, 12:27:12 PM
Really?  That's odd...................I see you and 'depressing' as a hand-in-glove thing; that's what you do; be depressed.  Whatever you turn your gaze upon all you see is depressing, failure, death, destruction........depression.  The good that is there is invisible to you--I don't think you even seek it.  And like a dog that loves to roll in smelly crap, you love being pessimistic and literally roll in all of the depressing stuff you can and you relish it.  You must be a total and complete downer to be around for more than 30 sec. or so.

WOW!  I mentioned in another post that I would like to be in his brain for a day to understand him better.  Now, I'm not so sure.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sal1981

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 01:34:04 PM
I don't think a galactic civilization is possible. The galaxy is just too big, so even at the speed of light the communications would be way too slow for any sort of coherent system to be able to form or maintain itself.

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZ2bdoz3Io[/spoiler]

Unless ultrawave technology is discovered to be possible, then yeah, tough luck trying to maintain a galactic civilization.

it's something straight out of sci-fi, where instead of propagating information through normal space, we use the fabric of space itself to propagate information. Sounds ludicrous, right? What even is space made of? And why is it possible for it to propagate faster than light travels through it? If we can, somehow, bend space, then I see no reason why can't do the same for waves - maybe even there's some exotic matter that does exactly that? IDK.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 11, 2019, 03:26:28 AM
Unless ultrawave technology is discovered to be possible, then yeah, tough luck trying to maintain a galactic civilization.

it's something straight out of sci-fi, where instead of propagating information through normal space, we use the fabric of space itself to propagate information. Sounds ludicrous, right? What even is space made of? And why is it possible for it to propagate faster than light travels through it? If we can, somehow, bend space, then I see no reason why can't do the same for waves - maybe even there's some exotic matter that does exactly that? IDK.

There is always new tech.  We might understand Dark Energy and use that.  And I mean that there are always new things to discover.  What would a coal-miner think about lasers?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2019, 04:08:00 AM
There is always new tech.  We might understand Dark Energy and use that.  And I mean that there are always new things to discover.  What would a coal-miner think about lasers?

Yes, and then blow up Vulcan (using red matter), in one of the multiverses ... oh my!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2019, 02:58:31 AM
WOW!  I mentioned in another post that I would like to be in his brain for a day to understand him better.  Now, I'm not so sure.  LOL!

I am the guy from the anti-matter universe ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj1FVsAA0jU

I fall down so much, nobody will insure me ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 08:16:34 AM
I am the guy from the anti-matter universe ...

I fall down so much, nobody will insure me ...

Um, how much would you pay me to insure you fall down?  I could come and wax your steps or something.

Seriously, stay safe and walk carefully.  We are both getting old.  In spite of everything, I would regret it if you just disappeared one day.  I mean, I would disappear too, as we are actually the same person...