An atheist rediscovers Christianity

Started by Sal1981, June 06, 2019, 04:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 08:59:46 PM
if I did that I would be making a broad statement. However I'm not here. Also aren't you just generalizing all leftists?
Perhaps I'm just grossly ignorant of the extensive liberal anti-hetero grassroots hate campaigns.  You tell me.  You follow the real straight-talking geniuses like the one in the OP.  Those guys seem really logical and grounded, don't they?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2019, 09:04:21 PM
You just proved my statement--full of shit and pessimistic.

Several on here are pessimistic
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 06, 2019, 09:08:55 PM
Perhaps I'm just grossly ignorant of the extensive liberal anti-hetero grassroots hate campaigns.  You tell me.  You follow the real straight-talking geniuses like the one in the OP.  Those guys seem really logical and grounded, don't they?

there just entertaining to listen to. Social media today is flooded with so much hate on for right wing politics, even main stream media is, so its good to see it balanced out with someone ripping into leftist beliefs. The point is lost when the guy happens to follow an ideology while criticizing others ideologies, but luckily theirs plenty others who haven't fallen down that rabbit hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVruEq-Gupk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGI0xpGUjSk

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 08:59:46 PM
if I did that I would be making a broad statement. However I'm not here. Also aren't you just generalizing all leftists?
Munch, you do seem to like to make broad statements about 'leftists'.  I am a liberal, not a leftist.  I am not really sure what a 'leftist' actually is.  As a liberal I have lived strong family values.  It is foundational  to a caring society.  But I do not insist that family must be only a mommy and daddy and biological children.  I think family can be any group of people who have a strong tie with each other, care for one another, and want to have that type of bond.  A family can have a single parent--two mommies--two daddies--and the children can consist of any children that need nurturing.  Race and ethnicity have no bearing on the makeup of a family.  I am a liberal, and what I find personally interesting is that the older I become, the more liberal I become.  I see liberal as actually not only 'liberal' values but positive 'conservative' values, as well.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2019, 09:15:05 PM
Munch, you do seem to like to make broad statements about 'leftists'.  I am a liberal, not a leftist.  I am not really sure what a 'leftist' actually is.  As a liberal I have lived strong family values.  It is foundational  to a caring society.  But I do not insist that family must be only a mommy and daddy and biological children.  I think family can be any group of people who have a strong tie with each other, care for one another, and want to have that type of bond.  A family can have a single parent--two mommies--two daddies--and the children can consist of any children that need nurturing.  Race and ethnicity have no bearing on the makeup of a family.  I am a liberal, and what I find personally interesting is that the older I become, the more liberal I become.  I see liberal as actually not only 'liberal' values but positive 'conservative' values, as well.

I believe that too. Infact as someone in a relationship with two men who once they are done with uni I intend to live with, it be hypocritical to say otherwise.

The older I become, the less I am leaning towards one social or political group, therefore things spill over into other aspects.

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2019, 09:16:12 PM
And......................????

didn't seem prudent to call Baruch out on that when several here are the same.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 09:13:46 PM
there just entertaining to listen to.
That's almost true.  You do get a lot of entertainment out of it, that's true.  But you also come here with suspiciously similar talking points: that computing forever guy has a freakout about some alleged feminist conspiracy in some movie or another and you come here with almost verbatim stuff.  You aren't just "entertained" by this BS, you fall for it hook line and sinker and spread it around.  You're not as rabid as PR, but that's about the only difference.

QuoteSocial media today is flooded with so much hate on for right wing politics, even main stream media is, so its good to see it balanced out with someone ripping into leftist beliefs.
False balance, false equivalence.

QuoteThe point is lost when the guy happens to follow an ideology while criticizing others ideologies, but luckily theirs plenty others who haven't fallen down that rabbit hole.
I'm so glad the downfall of this intellectual titan didn't ruin the whole brain trust on your sub list.

Quotehttps://www.prtube.com/watch?v=oVruEq-Gupk
And goodie, a PR-esque attack piece.  I missed those so much.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 09:25:01 PM
didn't seem prudent to call Baruch out on that when several here are the same.
I would agree with that---except that Baruch is almost always pessimistic and about everything.  He is a fantastic resource when it comes to facts; especially early religious facts.  But his usual comment on anything else is always a put-down, pessimistic view of it.  It seems to me he must live in a constant state of depression.  Too bad..................

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 06, 2019, 09:26:23 PM
That's almost true.  You do get a lot of entertainment out of it, that's true.  But you also come here with suspiciously similar talking points: that computing forever guy has a freakout about some alleged feminist conspiracy in some movie or another and you come here with almost verbatim stuff.  You aren't just "entertained" by this BS, you fall for it hook line and sinker and spread it around.  You're not as rabid as PR, but that's about the only difference.
False balance.
I'm so glad the downfall of this intellectual titan didn't ruin the whole brain trust on your sub list.
And goodie, a PR-esque attack piece.  I missed those so much.

1 - If I happen to share views on modern day feminism thats been infested and corrupted by social justice, and I so happen to see someone who's talking about it, i'm inclined to show its not just me thinking it.
2 - not really, not to a centrist viewing both sides the same way.
3 - You'd be surprised to know I have some liberal minded people on my sub list too.
4 -  dunno what that link is but I aren't clicking it without description.

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2019, 09:30:13 PM
I would agree with that---except that Baruch is almost always pessimistic and about everything.  He is a fantastic resource when it comes to facts; especially early religious facts.  But his usual comment on anything else is always a put-down, pessimistic view of it.  It seems to me he must live in a constant state of depression.  Too bad..................

put it this way, he is the only theistic guy on a forum full of atheists. Yet he still braves it on here every day and finds other things to talk about. Thats more then worth some merit.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 09:35:00 PM
2 - not really, not to a centrist viewing both sides the same way.
You're doing "centrism" wrong.  Saying that holocaust deniers and non-holocaust deniers are equally nuts is NOT centrism.

Quote3 - You'd be surprised to know I have some liberal minded people on my sub list too.
"Classically" liberal, perhaps.  But if that's genuine, I commend your courage in wading unfamiliar waters.

Quote4 -  dunno what that link is but I aren't clicking it without description.
It was a dumb joke, but now it's an ironic dumb joke.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 06, 2019, 09:43:06 PM
You're doing "centrism" wrong.  Saying that holocaust deniers and non-holocaust deniers are equally nuts is NOT centrism.
"Classically" liberal, perhaps.  But if that's genuine, I commend your courage in wading unfamiliar waters.
It was a dumb joke, but now it's an ironic dumb joke.

Wtf is a non-holocaust denier? And again, are you just making blanket comparisons?

Something wrong with classical liberalism? Seems more grounded then lot of modern trends of liberalism

You just gave away the punchline.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 01:16:53 PM
For the ease of this I'll refer to the right as being of conservative, and saying religious are more drawn to conservative values. Thing is, conservative values are not systematically bad, it has positive values like raising a family, having a home and job, living by traditional means, all are good aspects for people to follow. My mother is a conservative, but she's never prayed to any god or has ever shown signs of racism or homophobia, same with a lot of the older generation in my family. Religious people are drawn to the older ways of doing things since the older ways are more akin to upholding religious beliefs, so the two come together more so.

But lets also be honest just from and understanding of humanity itself, by the same argument you made, the left could be just as labeled the same way, just the other side of the coin. Modern hard left aren't racist to minorities, but they can be to whites. Their not sexist to LGBT people, but are to heterosexuals. There 'progressive' to peoples nationality outside their own country, but slam people for having the same national identity within their own country. Its two different sides of the same coin.

Atheism just falls in line with more liberal views because of the tie religious views has to conservatism. In my case it was my sexuality that made me realize why I didn't want to follow in line with any religion, atheism came later. I just now happen to uphold both liberal and conservative values.

I'll also add, finding the bad in conservatism is easy because that writings been on the walls for a long time. Seeing the worst side of the left is a newer thing but you just end up seeing its the same thing either side of the spectrum, people are people, they take shit to far and damage any ideal they have as a result. And in such cases the worst outcome is when people like this take those corrupt values and push them into everyone elses lives.

I looked back though some of his videos and didn't really get a vibe of his comment section having any strong christian views, but then his videos were based on political and tech stuff so maybe they had little reason to speak out about it.

Your problem is you let those on the Right define the Left for you. The Left does not hate white or straight people. What an absolutely ridiculous claim. It makes as much sense as a Christian living in a country that is overwhelming Christian majority claiming that atheists are somehow oppressing them. Wake the hell up.

As for the Right being for traditional values, I refer you to my previous comment. The idea that the Right are for "traditional religious values" is bullshit. Those values, the ones worth holding, have nothing to do with their religion or their political lean. The Left doesn't want to tear down the traditional family structure. They want to allow others to do their things too, if they want to. Married lesbian couple wants to adopt a child? Let them. Polyamorous people want to...exist? Leave them be. Want to live together, but don't particularly care about getting married? Go for it. Want to marry one person of the opposite sex and have children? That's fine too. Do whatever the fuck you want. The problem, however, is that the Right doesn't want people to do whatever they want. The "values" they go on about are about making their family structure the only legitimized one.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 09:37:27 PM
put it this way, he is the only theistic guy on a forum full of atheists. Yet he still braves it on here every day and finds other things to talk about. Thats more then worth some merit.

And I am pro-British.  All the frogs and sauerkrauts here, don't like that ... bwahaha.

MikeCL has anger issues sometimes.  Us old guys are unstable.  Think about pr126, not a young guy he was.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.