Russo brothers to make MTG Netflix series

Started by Hydra009, June 04, 2019, 09:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

QuoteAfter devoting at least seven years of their life to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Russo Brothers are about to make a drastic change. But can Joe and Anthony Russo bring their “Avengers: Endgame” magic to another imaginative franchise? Magic is definitely the key word Netflix execs are banking on.
Quote“We have been huge fans and players of ‘Magic: The Gathering’ for as long as it has been around, so being able to help bring these stories to life through animation is a true passion project for us,” said the Russos.
Source:  https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/russo-brothers-magic-the-gathering-netflix-1202146553/

For those of you who don't know much about MTG, it's basically what would happen if D&D and Lord of the Rings had a baby and that baby stole a portal gun.

Powerful and widespread magic across a multiverse of worlds.  Verdant or despoiled worlds populated with dragons, zombies, angels, vampires, hydras - You name it, MTG has it.  It's the fantasy kitchen sink.

The game's core concept was essentially a wizards duel with each wizard summoning forth fantastic beasts, powerful enchantments, debilitating curses, or attacking each other directly with powerful blasts of raw energy. Basically, imagine Gandalf and Voldemort locked in a vicious duel while mounted atop Drogon and Balerion the Black Dread and you have a fair approximation of what's going in MTG.

Suffice it to say that a high-budget animated series would be friggin' amazing!

_Xenu_

I remember reading some of the books when I was a kid. Tales about Urza, Karn, Phyrexia, Rath, etc. They really did have some interesting material to work with.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

aitm

Don't tell Arik...he already has his own multi-verses...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mr.Obvious

I like mtg, but never got into the books.
Imma keep my expectations low, can only be pleasantly surprised then.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 05, 2019, 10:14:11 AM
Don't tell Arik...he already has his own multi-verses...

I don't think he is even Hindu.  But if he was, your acceptance of these johnny-come-lately myths is just ... chauvinism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: _Xenu_ on June 05, 2019, 09:36:41 AM
I remember reading some of the books when I was a kid. Tales about Urza, Karn, Phyrexia, Rath, etc. They really did have some interesting material to work with.
Me too.  I really loved that era.  My interest kinda slumped after that.

Apparently, the Russos are going to cover much more recent content with Chandra Nalaar.  She has her own series on IDW.  I'm going to have to look over that and the relevant MTG sets to familiarize myself with these new planeswalkers.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 05, 2019, 07:12:37 PM
Me too.  I really loved that era.  My interest kinda slumped after that.

Apparently, the Russos are going to cover much more recent content with Chandra Nalaar.  She has her own series on IDW.  I'm going to have to look over that and the relevant MTG sets to familiarize myself with these new planeswalkers.

Ironic how atheists love their neo-pagan mythologies ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 12:04:01 AM
I don't think so.

People's imaginations are so fruitful, able to create fantasy worlds full of life and deep stories. Only difference is that atheists know they're fantasies.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 06, 2019, 01:08:25 AM
I don't think so.

People's imaginations are so fruitful, able to create fantasy worlds full of life and deep stories. Only difference is that atheists know they're fantasies.

False.  Monkeys don't know their Right from their Left.  All talk is fantasy.  So a distinction without meaning.

I am Ãœbermensch ... you are not, right?  Are all atheists ... fascists?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 12:04:01 AM
Pssht.  Neo-pagans wish they could fly the Weatherlight through a planar portal.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 06, 2019, 01:00:55 PM
Pssht.  Neo-pagans wish they could fly the Weatherlight through a planar portal.

The only problem with old imagination, is that someone thought of it first.  Modern people are too egomaniacal to support old fiction.  They need the bran new (funny Elizabethan shorts).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

It's "The willing suspension of disbelief"...  The deliberate act of allowing the mind to accept unreality for the sake of a good story.  One thing is required though.  An internal consistency.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 12, 2019, 06:07:45 AM
It's "The willing suspension of disbelief"...  The deliberate act of allowing the mind to accept unreality for the sake of a good story.  One thing is required though.  An internal consistency.

But not too much, otherwise only logicians will care.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I have read the Chandra comic books - all two of them.  They're pretty bad.  It's little wonder there wasn't a third.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 12, 2019, 11:46:48 AM
But not too much, otherwise only logicians will care.

You don't understand, I think.  To a logical reader, the more internal consistency, the better.  I don't mean that I try to learn to speak Klingon when it is offerred in Star Trek books or Elvish in LOTR.  But that a long history exists does matter in fantasy stories.  I enjoy Silmarillion more than LOTR for the effort and detail of what came before.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!