Sleep is your superpower

Started by Unbeliever, June 04, 2019, 07:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

QuoteSleep is your life-support system and Mother Nature's best effort yet at immortality, says sleep scientist Matt Walker. In this deep dive into the science of slumber, Walker shares the wonderfully good things that happen when you get sleep -- and the alarmingly bad things that happen when you don't, for both your brain and body. Learn more about sleep's impact on your learning, memory, immune system and even your genetic code -- as well as some helpful tips for getting some shut-eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MuIMqhT8DM

I try to get plenty of sleep, because I know how important it is. But I know many people can't sleep enough no matter how hard they try. At least now we're beginning to figure out why we sleep, but I do it mostly because it's fun.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

And not only sleep, but sleep-like states like meditation and contemplation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Unlikely that people will sleep the same during weekends as during weekdays.

Mr.Obvious

I tend to get too little shut eye. 5.5 hours per night on average. I feel like it works for me, but I'm afraid it'll come back to bite me in the ass.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 04, 2019, 07:31:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MuIMqhT8DM

I try to get plenty of sleep, because I know how important it is. But I know many people can't sleep enough no matter how hard they try. At least now we're beginning to figure out why we sleep, but I do it mostly because it's fun.

No bad comedian! A superpower is one that isn't normal.

Baruch

Once again, Allah Akbar!! ... the one true Liberal position ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The best parts of my sleep are the unusually detailed  dreams.  I can be in an old office before retirement, in apartments that slowly expand to all the ones I ever lived in, friends I haven't seen for decades, and departed pets.  They are never about monsters or bad events.  Sometimes they get pretty weird, but even then there is a logic to them. 

And I will admit that sometimes I wake up and forget I am retired and that takes a few minutes to adjust to.  Those aren't great.  But even in them, I'm been doing good work in the office even if other people wern't.

Not everyone has nightmares.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Yeah, I can't even remember the last time I had a bad dream. Freddie Kruger can't touch me! LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 01:52:56 PM
Yeah, I can't even remember the last time I had a bad dream. Freddie Kruger can't touch me! LOL

I feel sorry for people who have Monster dreams.  It must be terrifying.  Frustration dreams are bad enough.  They sure seem real enough while you are having them. 

When I wake up, it takes a bit to realize I wasn't just skateboarding down a road I used to drive on, then trying to buy food at a 7-11 that was never there and wasn't accepting cash, or walking through desolate land avoiding mudpits or whatever.  The dreamworld is very strange. 

What amazes me is that I recognize some elements of reality in all of them.  I would love to know why some memories creep in and others don't.  And why some themes continue throughout the night while some places I know well never appear.  There are some "apartments" I was never in that grow during the night in successive dreams to include ones I was in but are never "quite" as they really were. 

And some nights there are dreams in a sort of logical progression, but other nights where they all seem random.  here is probably some sort of connection, but I can't tell what it might be.   

Baruch

Colliding branes of the multiverse, colliding in your brain ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 04:51:15 AM
Colliding branes of the multiverse, colliding in your brain ;-)

I know what branes are in the multiverse sense...  But I think you only mentioned "brain" in the alliterative sense.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2019, 06:28:17 AM
I know what branes are in the multiverse sense...  But I think you only mentioned "brain" in the alliterative sense.

You are a poet, and I still don't know it!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear