News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christianity Defined

Started by Jagella, June 03, 2019, 08:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

I find it humorous that most christians think their particular Jesus was named Jesus Christ.  Most don't realize that 'Christ' is a title, not a name.  Jesus was a popular name in that time, since it means savior, same as the name Joshua--and he is the one who conquered Jericho in the Promised Land.  Moses never got to the promised land--Joshua conquered it.  So Jews were looking for another savior from the Romans.  Christ means anointed one, and that is what the Jews did, they anointed leaders and kings with sacred oil as a christ.  Usually that was a king and meant that God appointed that particular king (or leader).  From this flows the concept of the divine right of kings.   Yet, most christians think Jesus Christ is one particular man. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 04, 2019, 06:07:07 AM
There were false messiahs.  Doesn't really matter if one was named Jesus or not.  The idea that the messiah is false, pretty much cuts the Christians off at the knees regardless.

False Messiah = the Romans weren't magically destroyed.

Instead they were just subsumed into a religious hierarchy, and became the Roman Catholic Church.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on June 04, 2019, 06:24:26 AM
All messiahs are false by logic.  If one was real, we wouldn't be sitting around discussing it, would we?

Jesus was a false messiah, or his character in the story was, because he didn't meet the qualifications to even be considered "The Messiah" to the Jews of the time:

Why Jews Don't Believe in Jesus

QuoteJews do not accept Jesus as the messiah because:

1.Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.
2.Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.
3.Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.
4.Jewish belief is based on national revelation.

I don't know of any other messiahs that any other religious groups were expecting to come.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Jagella on June 04, 2019, 10:28:05 AM
Over at Debating Christianity a Christian objected to my saying that Christians pretend to eat the flesh of Christ and drink Christ's blood--so he thinks it's the real deal!

You could accuse them of cannibalism, but they'd probably be offended by that, as well! :-P
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 04, 2019, 01:19:36 PM
Instead they were just subsumed into a religious hierarchy, and became the Roman Catholic Church.

Anarchists don't like that.  That is why the hermits and monks/nuns had to be subsumed into the hierarchy.  Controlled opposition.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 04, 2019, 11:54:18 AM
And many, many others.

Mithras etc ... all of which are ideas/memes held by some people at some time.  Not something to be ignored, because your memes are superior.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 04, 2019, 08:56:35 AM
The Jesus story could very easily be the rehashing of typical Cynic: a member of a school of ancient Greek philosophers founded by Antisthenes, marked by an ostentatious contempt for ease and pleasure. The movement flourished in the 3rd century BC and revived in the 1st century AD.

The Gospel of Thomas most likely came from such a source.

Per John Dominic Crossan.  But that discounts Kabbalah.  The Cynic view would say that Christianity was always Gentile and pagan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 04, 2019, 01:28:17 PM
You could accuse them of cannibalism, but they'd probably be offended by that, as well! :-P

They were accused of cannibalism, by the ignorant.  And Jews still are (we kidnap Gentile children to use their blood to make Passover matzah).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jagella on June 04, 2019, 10:28:05 AM
Over at Debating Christianity a Christian objected to my saying that Christians pretend to eat the flesh of Christ and drink Christ's blood--so he thinks it's the real deal!

Cannibalism, in the sense of incorporating the power of your enemies, has a long history.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 04, 2019, 02:26:16 PM
They were accused of cannibalism, by the ignorant.  And Jews still are (we kidnap Gentile children to use their blood to make Passover matzah).

Well, obviously that isn't true.  Matzah isnt red.  Or were only white corpuscles used?

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 04, 2019, 02:24:07 PM
Per John Dominic Crossan.  But that discounts Kabbalah.  The Cynic view would say that Christianity was always Gentile and pagan.

"Pagan" is such an interesting term.  The many-deity ancient Greeks would have called me that.  The medieval Catholics and Protestants would have called me that (if polite enough not to say "heretic").  Even a "non-adherent" friend says I am technically.  And each would have a separate and different definition

I suppose what it really means is "not one of us".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 06, 2019, 05:35:25 AM
Well, obviously that isn't true.  Matzah isnt red.  Or were only white corpuscles used?

It was called the "blood libel" ... thousands of Jews were murdered by Gentiles over this conspiracy theory.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 06, 2019, 05:43:46 AM
"Pagan" is such an interesting term.  The many-deity ancient Greeks would have called me that.  The medieval Catholics and Protestants would have called me that (if polite enough not to say "heretic").  Even a "non-adherent" friend says I am technically.  And each would have a separate and different definition

I suppose what it really means is "not one of us".

"pagani" = country bumpkin.  Christians originally were urban proletariat, not peasant.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Very good video. I'm keeping this one saved.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 06, 2019, 12:27:55 PM
Very good video. I'm keeping this one saved.
And check out Carrier's latest book!  It is the best of the Jesus was not an actual person books.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?