Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christianity Defined

Started by Jagella, June 03, 2019, 08:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

According to astrotheology, Jesus is just a retelling of the story of the sun:

https://www.astrodynamics.net/astrotheology-sun-god/

http://listverse.com/2017/08/16/10-reasons-the-story-of-jesus-might-be-an-allegory-for-the-sun/

There are actually 13 Zodiac constellations, so Mary Magdalene may have represented the 13th.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 02:27:45 PM
According to astrotheology, Jesus is just a retelling of the story of the sun:

https://www.astrodynamics.net/astrotheology-sun-god/

http://listverse.com/2017/08/16/10-reasons-the-story-of-jesus-might-be-an-allegory-for-the-sun/

There are actually 13 Zodiac constellations, so Mary Magdalene may have represented the 13th.

Per Vergil ... encomium on Augustus, the Emperor represented a new constellation.  But Jesus is the Jewish Augustus.  So yes, he is the new constellation aka new start aka comet heralded Jesus, not Julius Caesar.  Jesus executed on the vernal equinox.  All BS of course.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2019, 12:49:15 PM
And check out Carrier's latest book!  It is the best of the Jesus was not an actual person books.

Same one as reviewed last year?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2019, 09:20:27 PM
Yep.

You may need to repost the original link for the newb.

Someone did.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

A pretty solid deconstruction of religion in general from a historical perspective in OPs video all the way to logical, concurrent, ones to Christianity.

Jagella

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 07, 2019, 02:16:16 AM
A pretty solid deconstruction of religion in general from a historical perspective in OPs video all the way to logical, concurrent, ones to Christianity.

Although I'm not really a mythicist, I think Carrier makes the best arguments that Jesus never lived. It's just amazing what Carrier can do. I think he may make a big mark in historical Jesus studies.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 11:07:27 AM
"pagani" = country bumpkin.  Christians originally were urban proletariat, not peasant.

You went with your gut on that one, didn't you? 

Here's some detail:

"pagan (n.)

mid-14c., "person of non-Christian or non-Jewish faith," from Late Latin paganus "pagan," in classical Latin "villager, rustic; civilian, non-combatant" noun use of adjective meaning "of the country, of a village," from pagus "country people; province, rural district," originally "district limited by markers," thus related to pangere "to fix, fasten," from PIE root *pag- "to fasten." As an adjective from early 15c.

The religious sense is often said to derive from conservative rural adherence to the old gods after the Christianization of Roman towns and cities; but the word in this sense predates that period in Church history, and it is more likely derived from the use of paganus in Roman military jargon for "civilian, incompetent soldier," which Christians (Tertullian, c. 202; Augustine) picked up with the military imagery of the early Church (such as milites "soldier of Christ," etc.). Applied to modern pantheists and nature-worshippers from 1908.

Pagan and heathen are primarily the same in meaning; but pagan is sometimes distinctively applied to those nations that, although worshiping false gods, are more cultivated, as the Greeks and Romans, and heathen to uncivilized idolaters, as the tribes of Africa. A Mohammedan is not counted a pagan much less a heathen. [Century Dictionary, 1897]"

And...

Wikipedia says "Paganism (from classical Latin pāgānus "rural, rustic", later "civilian") is a term first used in the fourth century by early Christians for people in the Roman Empire who practiced polytheism. This was either because they were increasingly rural and provincial relative to the Christian population, or because they were not milites Christi (soldiers of Christ).  Alternate terms in Christian texts for the same group were hellene, gentile, and heathen. Ritual sacrifice was an integral part of ancient Graeco-Roman religion[4] and was regarded as an indication of whether a person was pagan or Christian.

Paganism was originally a pejorative and derogatory term for polytheism, implying its inferiority.Paganism has broadly connoted the "religion of the peasantry". During and after the Middle Ages, the term paganism was applied to any unfamiliar religion, and the term presumed a belief in false god(s)."

Note:  I deleted footnote references as it would have gotten altogether too long.

BTW, a friend and I once got into a long discussion about whether I was a pagan or a heathen.  I denied being either, as I did not belief in any gods.  She finally agreed I was not pagan (not believing in older pantheistic gods), but she was sure I was a heathen (not believing in current ones).  While being otherwise "reasonably sensible", she couldn't grasp the idea of not believing in SOME god...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Alert .. Cavebear can read a dictionary.  But can you define words for yourself?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 09, 2019, 01:57:08 PM
Alert .. Cavebear can read a dictionary.  But can you define words for yourself?

It's almost sort of genetic.  My godmother worked for Merriam-Webster as an etymologist.  Sadly, some idiot relatives "corrected" that in her obituary to read "entymologist".  She and I knew the difference; apparently, no one else did.

And I can understand words by structure and roots.  In high school, I presented a paper to the 12th grade English teacher (with the amazingly appropriate name of "Aubrey Wafford Thomas") about 'The Jabberwocky'  with those awful line drawings on the blackboard for parts of speech.  Do you remember those?

I got an A++ (because, as he said, he ran out of +s).  After that, he just let me sit in the back row to read all the books he gave me.

Unbeliever

I've always liked Jabberwocky, but I can only ever remember the "'Twas brillig..." part, I think up to "...frumious Bandersnatch."
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 09, 2019, 05:34:30 PM
I've always liked Jabberwocky, but I can only ever remember the "'Twas brillig..." part, I think up to "...frumious Bandersnatch."

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/42916/jabberwocky

Unbeliever

Thanks, Cavebear!

Here it is set to music, not too bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ-AGLyMVHM
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 09, 2019, 05:45:24 PM
Thanks, Cavebear!

Here it is set to music, not too bad:

Wow, I never heard it set to music before.  And I loved that even they tangled some of the words...  Its hard enough to just read aloud, never mind to music. 

I liked that!