Is the James in Galatians 1:19 evidence for a historical Jesus?

Started by Jagella, May 28, 2019, 11:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jagella

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 31, 2019, 04:51:30 PM
The burden of proof is on those who make an extraordinary claim, such as that the bone box is not fake.

But of course it's fake, since Jesus never existed.

I'm not sure if Jesus never existed, but the evidence for Jesus is the same as the evidence for people who never existed.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: Jagella on June 01, 2019, 01:29:47 PM
I'm not sure if Jesus never existed, but the evidence for Jesus is the same as the evidence for people who never existed.

Though I am sure I must have heard it put this way at sometime in the last 50 odd years, at this point I can't ever remember hearing that put that way. So hats off to you, good line. Now remember, I can't remember if I peed just now or am still thinking about it. :)
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jagella

Quote from: aitm on June 01, 2019, 04:44:50 PM
Though I am sure I must have heard it put this way at sometime in the last 50 odd years, at this point I can't ever remember hearing that put that way. So hats off to you, good line. Now remember, I can't remember if I peed just now or am still thinking about it. :)

As an example of a figure who even Christians generally agree never existed, we have Zeus. Like Jesus, we have no solid evidence for Zeus at all. And Like Jesus, all we do have as evidence for Zeus are stories and testimonies written by different people. So what makes Zeus a myth and Jesus real I'm not sure, but Christian bias may have something to do with it.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on May 31, 2019, 09:48:55 PM
But are you obsesed that it is true?  Hence the defensiveness?

No, I fear theocracy, and showing that the tale is mythical is an attempt to forestall it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on May 31, 2019, 09:48:55 PM
Do you claim that George Washington was the first President of the US?  Instead of a coup leader in the Coup of 1775 and Coup of 1787?

Please if you agree that he was the first President, produce him so we can cross-examine him.  I won't produce anyone from 2000 years ago, named Yeshua, but there must have been many of that name in Judea/Gaiiliee ... I bet you can't produce anyone from the 18th century either, named George or anything else.

Proof ... posh tosh.  Nihilist ... there are no words, no meaning, no reality ... just uninteligible monkey chatter.  In fact, no monkeys, just random clouds of atoms??  Prove that you are not just random atoms please.

I am not making any religious claim for Jesus.  I don't even accept the historicity of the Gospels.  But are you obsesed that it is true?  Hence the defensiveness?

Yeah, I think Flavius Josephus mentioned 7 people by the name of Yeshua. So what? That doesn't mean there was a Jesus of Nazareth, especially since there was no Nazareth until Constantine's mother decided to create one.

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/nazareth.html
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Jagella on June 01, 2019, 05:33:25 PM
As an example of a figure who even Christians generally agree never existed, we have Zeus. Like Jesus, we have no solid evidence for Zeus at all. And Like Jesus, all we do have as evidence for Zeus are stories and testimonies written by different people. So what makes Zeus a myth and Jesus real I'm not sure, but Christian bias may have something to do with it.

Early Christians did say Zeus existed .. as a demon to confuse the faithful.  Jews originally said, all gods exist, but only worship our one god.  Later Jews, polemically, said that only our god is real.  In which case Christianity is just as false as paganism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 01, 2019, 05:51:26 PM
No, I fear theocracy, and showing that the tale is mythical is an attempt to forestall it.

If so, fear the VP.  Mammon worship isn't a theocracy.  Myths (US founding myth) is very powerful, only because people believe it.  I look forward to people no longer believing in the US fairy tale.  All nations are founded on fairy tales.  And the current non-theological fairy tale, will kill you … because 300 million Americans believe it,  but not so many Dominionists.

1. Flavius Josephus was a traitor, apostate and liar

2. Only Christians copied his works, and they edited them (Same as NT).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2019, 06:29:34 PM
1. Flavius Josephus was a traitor, apostate and liar

Making him better or worse than the other traitors, apostates and liars?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2019, 02:04:54 AM
Historians are liars, and judged can be bought.  Please prove me wrong.

You didn't get my point … there can be no Presidents, because there is no USA, just rebellious colonies.

We won.  Fuck the Limeys.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Minimalist

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 01, 2019, 06:04:11 PM
Yeah, I think Flavius Josephus mentioned 7 people by the name of Yeshua. So what? That doesn't mean there was a Jesus of Nazareth, especially since there was no Nazareth until Constantine's mother decided to create one.

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/nazareth.html

Far more than 7.  I think the number was 22.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 01, 2019, 07:39:50 PM
Making him better or worse than the other traitors, apostates and liars?

Of course not.  It is vitally necessary for people to be traitors, apostates and liars.  And cannibals, necrophliacs etc.  Morality is complete BS.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2019, 02:04:54 AM
Historians are liars, and judged can be bought.  Please prove me wrong.

You didn't get my point … there can be no Presidents, because there is no USA, just rebellious colonies.

Example, all stories of WW II, prior to the revelation of Ultra, were BS.   Including Churchill's multivolume history which won the Nobel Prize for Literature.  And for all we know, the current narrative, updated with revelation of Ultra, is also BS.

Monkey pretensions to knowledge, let alone understanding, is ridiculous.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2019, 09:58:04 PM
Of course not.  It is vitally necessary for people to be traitors, apostates and liars.  And cannibals, necrophliacs etc.  Morality is complete BS.

How about sex with a vampire? Would that make one a necrophile? Or a zombie...I suppose that definitely would.
God Not Found