News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Horror lovers thread

Started by Munch, April 20, 2016, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Had to dig this one up, figured instead of making a new thread.

I was this today, and it gave some intresting thoughts on the man himself, h.p. lovecraft, the works and times of the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M3L4VIZv-U

I've often listened to accounts of his work and listened to audio tapes of some of his books, the dunwich horror and dagon, and as a horror fan of this kind of otherworldly horror, he is the one who most popularized it (despite having died before it reached that level of popularity)

The only thing that I keep wondering is he deserving of being remembered? As one of the most popular horror writers his work has influenced dozens of other writers after him, as well as his works being made part of writers at the time. But given being being not just racist in his own homelife, but flat out being racist in his works (most human protagonists being people of color, hints in some of his creations (Shub-Niggurath), and it even being acknowledged in literary awards where his image being part of an award for the world fantasy award ceremony, where an author Nnedi Okorafor won the award, and described to a friend that (him being a black guy) having lovecrafts image in his house knowing what a bigoted racist he was, it felt like an honor to him, probably going off a satirical tone of a black man winner a fantasy author award decades after such a bigot like lovecraft could exist.

And yet, despite it being now commonly know he was as much of a bigot (so much that he once wrote a poem about 'niggers' being a sub human species), despite this, his work as gone and and is still loved today, and has inspired countless writers.

Its very much like the work escaping the author and becoming its own thing detached from the original creator.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 28, 2019, 03:28:35 PM
Had to dig this one up, figured instead of making a new thread.

I was this today, and it gave some intresting thoughts on the man himself, h.p. lovecraft, the works and times of the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M3L4VIZv-U

I've often listened to accounts of his work and listened to audio tapes of some of his books, the dunwich horror and dagon, and as a horror fan of this kind of otherworldly horror, he is the one who most popularized it (despite having died before it reached that level of popularity)

The only thing that I keep wondering is he deserving of being remembered? As one of the most popular horror writers his work has influenced dozens of other writers after him, as well as his works being made part of writers at the time. But given being being not just racist in his own homelife, but flat out being racist in his works (most human protagonists being people of color, hints in some of his creations (Shub-Niggurath), and it even being acknowledged in literary awards where his image being part of an award for the world fantasy award ceremony, where an author Nnedi Okorafor won the award, and described to a friend that (him being a black guy) having lovecrafts image in his house knowing what a bigoted racist he was, it felt like an honor to him, probably going off a satirical tone of a black man winner a fantasy author award decades after such a bigot like lovecraft could exist.

And yet, despite it being now commonly know he was as much of a bigot (so much that he once wrote a poem about 'niggers' being a sub human species), despite this, his work as gone and and is still loved today, and has inspired countless writers.

Its very much like the work escaping the author and becoming its own thing detached from the original creator.

Be still, my raging heart!

But yes, people of otherwise fame did think such things.  And it is up to us to not think that way.  Tpo not let one's neighbor say mean hurtful things and not be challenged.  To not vote for a politician who is like that but otherwise shares your views.  To not let your friend say things like that and not call him or her to account.   

To draw a line in the sands of time and hold to it. 

I was born in a time when such statements were routine.  But by the time I was an adult, they were not.  And I grew up not expecting such statements.  But they are coming again from those on the far Right and accepted by too many followers who say :well, yeah, but we like the other things they support.

There is no either/or about this.  A bigot is not going to have views on other things that anyone should support. 

I'm sorry, I'm too angry to continue...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Tell Tale Heart … are you the murder victim under the floorboards?  Were you dis-hearted by non PC speech?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 31, 2019, 10:18:04 PM
Tell Tale Heart … are you the murder victim under the floorboards?  Were you dis-hearted by non PC speech?

I've actually always differentiated between non-PC speech, PC speech, and the truly stupid statements.   And there IS a difference. But I dare not give examples as they would not be easily discerned.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!