Plans of Pardoning War Criminals on Memorial Day

Started by Shiranu, May 19, 2019, 02:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

QuoteYou are asking for G-d, Zeus specifically.

Mmm no, I'm asking for, if the law states you shale receive 5-10 years for punching a baby, you get 5-10 years for punching a baby.... not 1+1/2 because you are rich and then half of that being reduced because you were "well behaved"... while someone gets 10 years + 10 for being poor and black.

I don't think that is particularly idealist. That seems much more pragmatic and even conservative imo.

The law should clearly state what the punishment is, and everyone should be forced to suffer the same punishment regardless of race, sex, religion, wealth, whatever. If the law is not equal for all, it does not deserve respect from all. And if it does not deserve respect then why should we expect it to be respected?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 21, 2019, 08:43:24 PM
Mmm no, I'm asking for, if the law states you shale receive 5-10 years for punching a baby, you get 5-10 years for punching a baby.... not 1+1/2 because you are rich and then half of that being reduced because you were "well behaved"... while someone gets 10 years + 10 for being poor and black.

I don't think that is particularly idealist. That seems much more pragmatic and even conservative imo.

Judge's discretionary powers are awesome.  And jury nullification (doesn't happen often) the jury can ignore the judge and the law, because the people are sovereign.  But don't tell the people that, or the upper classes are toast.

If you don't like the laws as written, run for office and change them.  If you don't like how they are enforced, become a cop, a lawyer or a judge.  Just don't expect anyone to notice how wonderful you are, how you would make a great commissar of whatever.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on May 19, 2019, 02:17:19 PM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-pardons/trump-may-pardon-military-men-accused-or-convicted-of-war-crimes-new-york-times-idUSKCN1SO0QH

I've seen some discussins about this on various TV news sources.  Apparently, Trump is seeking votes from military people by forgiving some few soldiers who committed acts of atrocity against unarmed or innocent "others".

I understand that deaths occur in the heat of battle and when trained armed forces people are struggling to survive in difficult situations.  Armed conflicts are hard on civilians and I don't think individual soldiers can be blamed for that.

But there are times when individuals act out of control and beyond what normal stress in battle can cause.  As I understand it, those cases are reviewed by fellow soldiers who have similar experience.  Sometimes, the soldiers are judged to have gone beyond was is allowed by battle and stress and reasonable fear.

The individuals Trump is proposing to pardon SEEM (I do not know all the details) to have gone beyond forvivable actions, shooting civilians randomly and harming those who are no longer a threat.

I support our military.  Their job is hard.  When they decide some of their own have gone too far, I will defer to their judgement.

When Trump takes those individuals and pardons them for his own political gains, that is wrong.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who pays federal income taxes is complicit in murder.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 22, 2019, 01:47:54 PM
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who pays federal income taxes is complicit in murder.
And in health care, education, infrastructure, etc.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

What healthcare? What education? What infrastructure? I haven't seen much of any of those.
God Not Found

Baruch

Then you must be OK with murder, or you are a felon ;-)  I do understand your argument however.  It would not be good for anyone, if we start punishing thought crimes ;-(

I am OK with what the government does.  I don't necessarily like it.  My likes/dislikes only count as a bawling infant, and sometimes not then either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 22, 2019, 02:03:16 PM
What healthcare? What education? What infrastructure? I haven't seen much of any of those.
Oh, please. Don't be so whiny.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 22, 2019, 02:03:16 PM

Karl Rove says ... it is a big club and you aren't in it ... no, George Carlin said that, but Karl Rove means it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 22, 2019, 04:10:43 PM
Oh, please. Don't be so whiny.

Maybe like Redd Foxx's character, Mr Sanford, he prefers Ripple?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Perhaps, and it seems we may be more complicit than the man now giving orders, which is strangely poetic.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Unbeliever, do you live in the US? Are your lights on? Do you travel on the Federal Interstate Highway System?
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I live in the U.S., I have no lights, and I don't drive.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 22, 2019, 05:11:06 PM
I live in the U.S., I have no lights, and I don't drive.

You are the uni-poster ;-)  Even the uni-bomber had a shack in the woods.  I would suggest staying near a Starbucks ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found