News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Irony? You're soaking in it!

Started by trdsf, May 10, 2019, 09:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Remember that Kentucky teen who refused to have a chicken pox vaccination on religious grounds, and then sued his school to be allowed to play basketball even though he and his family signed a statement which stated that unvaccinated students might not be allowed to play sports in the event of an outbreak (and, quite rightly, lost when the judge simply read the signed agreement in the courtroom and decided in favor of the county)?

Guess who has chicken pox.

File under 'You brought this one on yourself, dumbass'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

QuoteThe teen argued that this particular vaccination goes against his religious beliefs, because aborted cells were used to derive the vaccine.

Some viruses used to make vaccines are grown with cells descended from matter that was sourced from two human foetuses electively aborted in the 1960s.

But no new human cells have been used since then to produce vaccines, according to health authorities and drug manufacturers.
So...let me get this straight.  It's immoral to use medicine developed from an aborted fetus, but it's a-okay to willfully spread disease and potentially kill people?

I know religious people have never been very good at logic, but damn, that's taking it to a whole new level.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 11, 2019, 12:13:41 AM
So...let me get this straight.  It's immoral to use medicine developed from an aborted fetus, but it's a-okay to willfully spread disease and potentially kill people?

I know religious people have never been very good at logic, but damn, that's taking it to a whole new level.

True.  People are stupid shits.  Just don't virtue signal.  I get a flu shot every Fall.  Used to be a requirement to work.  Never had a reaction.  Now that I am retired, I will continue to get the shot.  But some people do get Guillain-Barre syndrome.  If you know you get Guillain-Barre syndrome, nobody should make you get the shot.  Famously, President Ford got in trouble for advocating flu shots on people who were physiologically intolerant.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20061113/flu-vaccine-low-risk-of-rare-disease#1

But that is not a matter of superstition.  Superstition shouldn't prevent you from taking necessary shots.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 11, 2019, 12:13:41 AM

There is an inappropriate incentive for abortions.  If the properly and legally aborted fetal material is provided pro-bono, then there is no chance that the mother was incentivized, with money, to have an abortion.  The fetal material is worth $50K.  The abortion clinic can make that money, but they cannot pay the mother for it.  Same reason why, paying people for blood donations, encouraged poor diseased people to donate their bad blood.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I've only seen it in movies, where people actually get paid real money for their blood. I've given blood many times, but never been paid. Should I feel cheated?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 11, 2019, 01:18:27 PM
I've only seen it in movies, where people actually get paid real money for their blood. I've given blood many times, but never been paid. Should I feel cheated?
There are several places here where you can sell your blood (or more often, plasma).  There's one right down the street from where I work.  Fortunately, I have never been in such dire straits that I've needed to utilize their services.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I've only ever given blood because it was needed, like after the Loma Prieta earthquake. Never expected to get paid for it.
God Not Found

Baruch

There are a whole bunch of reasons why you don't want to medically donate blood.  And one should avoid donating, if you don't meet the criteria, because you don't want to mess up the blood/blood product supply or hurt a patient.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

I donated only twice....once cause I was bored and the 2nd cause I needed the 20 to play golf....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on May 11, 2019, 05:41:59 PM
There are a whole bunch of reasons why you don't want to medically donate blood.  And one should avoid donating, if you don't meet the criteria, because you don't want to mess up the blood/blood product supply or hurt a patient.

My blood is pure!

;-)
God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: aitm on May 11, 2019, 05:47:40 PM
I donated only twice....once cause I was bored and the 2nd cause I needed the 20 to play golf....
You have priorities that I understand.  :)

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 10, 2019, 09:31:07 PM
Remember that Kentucky teen who refused to have a chicken pox vaccination on religious grounds, and then sued his school to be allowed to play basketball even though he and his family signed a statement which stated that unvaccinated students might not be allowed to play sports in the event of an outbreak (and, quite rightly, lost when the judge simply read the signed agreement in the courtroom and decided in favor of the county)?

Guess who has chicken pox.

File under 'You brought this one on yourself, dumbass'.

A good Darwin Award nominee...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!