News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 25, 2019, 01:05:43 AM
So, you are Vulcan, and haven't changed your mind since you attended the Vulcan coming of age ceremony?

I am basically rational, if that's what you mean.  That isn't the same as "Star Trek "Vulcan".  It does mean I try to think about problems and events before responding.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Simon Moon

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 10:34:21 PM
Progress requires managed cognitive dissonance, or no alternatives would ever be entertained.

There is a difference between being able to entertain different possibilities and alternatives to proposed situations or claims, without being in cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance only occurs when one believes (is convinced) contradictory propositions are true simultaneously.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Cavebear

Quote from: Simon Moon on August 27, 2019, 01:53:17 PM
There is a difference between being able to entertain different possibilities and alternatives to proposed situations or claims, without being in cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance only occurs when one believes (is convinced) contradictory propositions are true simultaneously.

Like Republicans supporting Trump (he said innocently)?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!