News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

It is essential, for physicists, not mathematicians, that they have a "physical" intuition, not just being good at math.  Fourier for example.  Sometimes from great physics comes great math.  The virtual particle (relativistic) analogy/model was very surprising, since it runs contrary to the relativity notion that there is no "ether".  Turns out there is no classical "ether" (relativity itself is part of classical theory).  But there is in quantum mechanics an "ether" after all, and in this case a "luminiferous ether".  No wonder Einstein was upset.  And the Casimir effect gives direct evidence of these virtual photons.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 19, 2019, 10:09:52 AM
It is essential, for physicists, not mathematicians, that they have a "physical" intuition, not just being good at math.  Fourier for example.  Sometimes from great physics comes great math.  The virtual particle (relativistic) analogy/model was very surprising, since it runs contrary to the relativity notion that there is no "ether".  Turns out there is no classical "ether" (relativity itself is part of classical theory).  But there is in quantum mechanics an "ether" after all, and in this case a "luminiferous ether".  No wonder Einstein was upset.  And the Casimir effect gives direct evidence of these virtual photons.

You're confusing two things:(1) the luminiferous ether had the quality to transfer electromagnetic waves. As such, it could slow down or speed up those waves. That was discredited by Special Relativity. (2) In QFT, we have a field, which when it  interacts, it produces particles. Nothing to do with the speed of a wave.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 19, 2019, 10:23:42 AM
You're confusing two things:(1) the luminiferous ether had the quality to transfer electromagnetic waves. As such, it could slow down or speed up those waves. That was discredited by Special Relativity. (2) In QFT, we have a field, which when it  interacts, it produces particles. Nothing to do with the speed of a wave.

Correct, the two theories don't predict the same results ... duh.  One is classical, the other is QM.  As things turn out, the QM version is more accurate (except so far with GTR).  Irony misses you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 19, 2019, 10:26:22 AM
Correct, the two theories don't predict the same results ... duh.  One is classical, the other is QM.  As things turn out, the QM version is more accurate (except so far with GTR).  Irony misses you.

Nope, it's not a question of classical physics versus quantum mechanics. There are two different concepts. Read my post again.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 19, 2019, 10:30:26 AM
Nope, it's not a question of classical physics versus quantum mechanics. There are two different concepts. Read my post again.

Red isn't Black, but they are both colors.  Yes, poetry has nothing on you.  Just meaningless words.  You are not a Liberal Arts major, are you?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 19, 2019, 10:33:32 AM
Red isn't Black, but they are both colors.  Yes, poetry has nothing on you.  Just meaningless words.  You are not a Liberal Arts major, are you?

Colors are colors - different wavelengths different colors. But the luminiferous ether's job was to speed up or slow down light. That doesn't happen. It has nothing to do with being classical or quantum mechanics. It simply doesn't exist if SR is correct. OTOH, a field like the electromagnetic field can be treated in a classical way in a first approximation traveling at a constant speed c, or a quantum mechanical way in which particles are excitations of the field, - the latter being more accurate. As concepts, they are two different things - luminiferous ether was conceived as something acting on the electromagnetic field.

Baruch

Correct ... but irrelevant.  Intellectual virtue posting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 19, 2019, 12:51:49 PM
Intellectual virtue posting.
Much better than your paranoia, conspiracy theory, lack of desire to learn.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 19, 2019, 02:07:58 PM
Much better than your paranoia, conspiracy theory, lack of desire to learn.

I learn every day, because I not only read every day (it isn't all Youtube videos) but I follow a daily study plan.  Lifelong learner.

My rhetoric isn't the real me, but one has to put on the tragic/comic mask when dealing with people.  We are all actors after all.

Empiricism, not paranoia.  People are dangerous animals, and this is a zoo without keepers.  Like post-Apocalypse.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 19, 2019, 02:40:46 PM
I learn every day,

You look like you've convinced yourself. But I'm not.

Quotebecause I not only read every day (it isn't all Youtube videos)but I follow a daily study plan.  Lifelong learner.

Plan is no good if you read shit, and learn shit...

QuoteMy rhetoric isn't the real me, but one has to put on the tragic/comic mask when dealing with people.  We are all actors after all.
Performance left to be desired.

QuoteEmpiricism, not paranoia.  People are dangerous animals, and this is a zoo without keepers.  Like post-Apocalypse.

More CT's.

Baruch

Sorry Joe  ... been asked to not respond.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on August 19, 2019, 08:57:21 PM
Sorry Joe  ... been asked to not respond.

Maybe you guys can start a debate thread?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 21, 2019, 03:18:24 AM

That would have been nice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 21, 2019, 03:18:24 AM

Yeah, like getting a room...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman