News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 01:22:04 PM
Comparing genetic programming to computer programming??? Every biologists must be rolling their eyes...

Where is your computer degree?  Oh yes, PhD means ... I know everything ;-)  Too bad for you, I worked with medical doctors.  None of them are atheists, because they don't have to know everything, they are gods ;-))

Next you will be telling me that quantum computers change everything (sarc).  Actually quantum algorithms running on quantum computers are more capable than genetic programming.  That is why all the development money has moved into that, and dropped out from the other AI scams.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 12:55:38 PMSo yeah, in a subject I know something about, you could learn from me.  I am happy to learn in areas where I am deficient (if they exist ;-)).

I make a living in genetic programming, among other so-called AI techniques. I hate the term since my kids and even dog show a level of intelligence I cannot get from a computer. Here comes the big "however." However, we're barely getting started.

I'll first take issue with your use of "carefully selected pseudo-random number". Simply put, no. We're using quantum-effect RNG that we regularly check for entropy. I'm puzzled why you think genetic programming would need pseudorandom numbers.

As far as the computer not doing anything that humans didn't tell it to do, that's true only in the most trivial of senses. You did not address my point that the output of our genetic programming finds ways to solve complex problems that no human really understands.

We've been in the age of Turing complete machines, what, approaching seven decades? Where do you think we'll be in seven centuries? What about seven millenia? What about giving evolution 13 billion years to work?

Now we're both stating ways that Turing complete machines can exist without direction or planning. My way supposes physical laws and mathematics that we know exist and prove increasingly powerful in their predictive ability. You postulate one that has all that plus personality, omniscience, omnipotence, desires, emotion, and a lot more. You're making a profligate assumption. Occam's Razor is more likely to shave your hypothesis than mine.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

aileron

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 01:22:04 PM
Comparing genetic programming to computer programming??? Every biologists must be rolling their eyes...

Not at all, Joe. Genetic programming is an emerging technology in computer science that was inspired by and is modeled on limited aspects of evolution, and is often applied to solving problems in microbiology. The non-biologists in the field hopefully understand the key difference is that it has a goal in mind, whereas evolution has no goal in mind.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Hydra009

Quote from: Arik on August 14, 2019, 11:15:55 AMNear death is just a name given.
That does not mean that the bloke is not dead.
Bruh....

Quick rule of thumb since you're having a surprisingly hard time telling near death apart from death.

Near death:  wakes up and walks around after flatlining for a while

Death:  doesn't move, goes cold, rigor mortis, buried/cremated

Was that really so difficult?

aileron

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 14, 2019, 02:46:00 PM
Bruh....

Quick rule of thumb since you're having a surprisingly hard time telling near death apart from death.

Near death:  wakes up and walks around after flatlining for a while

Death:  doesn't move, goes cold, rigor mortis, buried/cremated

Was that really so difficult?

For him... Apparently.

Unbeliever

What's so hard to understand about an NDE - a not-death experience?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2019, 03:55:51 PM
What's so hard to understand about an NDE - a not-death experience?
Not as hard as rigor mortis ...

Unbeliever

Yeah, I've heard it said that a hard body is good to find - but not when it's in rigor mortis! LOL
God Not Found

aileron

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2019, 05:36:12 PM
Yeah, I've heard it said that a hard body is good to find - but not when it's in rigor mortis! LOL

Unless you're into that sort of thing.

Unbeliever

Yeah, as Seinfeld might say, "not that there's anything wrong with that..."   LOL
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 14, 2019, 02:25:03 PM
I make a living in genetic programming, among other so-called AI techniques. I hate the term since my kids and even dog show a level of intelligence I cannot get from a computer. Here comes the big "however." However, we're barely getting started.

I'll first take issue with your use of "carefully selected pseudo-random number". Simply put, no. We're using quantum-effect RNG that we regularly check for entropy. I'm puzzled why you think genetic programming would need pseudorandom numbers.

As far as the computer not doing anything that humans didn't tell it to do, that's true only in the most trivial of senses. You did not address my point that the output of our genetic programming finds ways to solve complex problems that no human really understands.

We've been in the age of Turing complete machines, what, approaching seven decades? Where do you think we'll be in seven centuries? What about seven millenia? What about giving evolution 13 billion years to work?

Now we're both stating ways that Turing complete machines can exist without direction or planning. My way supposes physical laws and mathematics that we know exist and prove increasingly powerful in their predictive ability. You postulate one that has all that plus personality, omniscience, omnipotence, desires, emotion, and a lot more. You're making a profligate assumption. Occam's Razor is more likely to shave your hypothesis than mine.

I made a living from working for the most evil organization on Earth ... US Federal Government.  I have a satellite laser pointed at you right now ;-)

Yes, there are more details to X kind of algorithm or Y kind of programming language.  All those things matter.  I know, been doing computers since the 1970s.  And that is a fine thing to know/do.  My speciality was database management.  But I got into cryptology on the side, because I was bored.  So no need to think I attacked your profession.  Even if you were a used car salesman, I wouldn't judge.  It happens I do know a lot about a couple of things.  Including computer science.  You can have your own philosophy of math/science ... but that doesn't make that math/science.  It is an interpretation.  As an engineer/programmer, I don't have the knockers for original research.  But thanks to Google, I don't have to.  Did you see the great 4 part series on deep learning/3-level neural nets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aircAruvnKk&list=PLZHQObOWTQDNU6R1_67000Dx_ZCJB-3pi&index=2&t=0s

These guys do wonderful stuff, on a lot of technical topics.  Better than my college professors ;-)

If you want to share what you know of genetic programming, in the computer section of this web site, if it isn't proprietary, then I would be happy to read.

I can't show you my computer work, because it is classified.  There are countless topics now on algorithms and computer languages, that nuances all this Turing Machine stuff.  But at the bottom, it is just a Turing Machine on paper from 1938.  And that doesn't touch all the engineering stuff at someplace like IEEE Spectrum.  But computers aren't magic, not even the quantum kind.  The problem with technology, and the public domain, is that so many people think this is a "Wishing Tree".  That any scifi that someone can imagine, is an eventual, and cheap, technical thing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2019, 05:36:12 PM

You just excited all the necrophile and zombies.  Thanks!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2019, 06:31:18 PM
Yeah, as Seinfeld might say, "not that there's anything wrong with that..."   LOL

I hope that zombies rape Seinfeld (sarc)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 06:33:18 PM
I made a living from working for the most evil organization on Earth ... US Federal Government.  I have a satellite laser pointed at you right now ;-)

I'll take a look at the vid a bit later, and we can move this to the computing topic area. I'm not deluded into thinking that AI is real - for now. It's just a ridiculous marketing word and I hate the term. I just don't see where the magic enters into the chain from particle to brain whether intelligence or consciousness.

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 14, 2019, 06:42:27 PM
I'll take a look at the vid a bit later, and we can move this to the computing topic area. I'm not deluded into thinking that AI is real - for now. It's just a ridiculous marketing word and I hate the term. I just don't see where the magic enters into the chain from particle to brain whether intelligence or consciousness.

There are very technical reasons for doing particular kinds of algorithms or using particular languages.  Most people won't be interested.  Doing everything in raw Turing Machine, for consistency, would be a nightmare.  The bio I read on Turing earlier this year, talked about his early post-war accomplishments trying to move past pure machine level coding.  He was a genius at what any CS undergraduate knows today.

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that you don't watch every 3BLUE1BROWN video!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.