News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on May 19, 2019, 04:42:05 AM
And the wags say, I play semantic games.

How about ... two mothers, one baby ... propose to cut the baby in half to be fair?

I say you play 1984-games, not semantics.

doublethink
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 19, 2019, 04:56:17 AM
I say you play 1984-games, not semantics.

doublethink

In the Multiverse, consciousness is infinity-think.  I got the gauntlet from Thanos, a nihilist, because his denial of any meaning, made him vulnerable to every used car salesman ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: aitm on May 18, 2019, 12:38:27 PM
ah...not even close to a crab. 5 stars could be anything. Now actually draw a crab around any 5 stars in the sky and voila! A crab. Sheeesh.....looks like a crab...what a nut.

To me those stars form a design similar to a crab or maybe a lobster but astronomy is not much part of my knowledge so I really wouldn't know how to judge the sign of the stars in a perfect way.

In the old times people judge which is which so you should direct to them your complain if of course you can have a chat with them.
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Simon Moon

Quote from: Arik on May 15, 2019, 11:28:59 AM
Now the point is to understand what the word God means.
When someone thinking become attached and fond to something and this attachment become their main attraction then they create a God in their mind so whether a God is real or it is an illusion it doesn't much of a difference in term of saying God but of course it make a lot of difference if it is not an illusion because while the illusion will harm the consciousness the reality does not but of course you may well say that there is no a real God so everything is an illusion or even say that the material reality is real while a real God is an illusion.

Then you are using the word 'god' in a very nonstandard way. The vast majority of humanity, would look at you a bit strangely for using the word that way.

So, it seems like you are defining the word to be almost synonymous with 'obsession'. Not sure where that gets any of us?

But even under your strange definition, I still have no gods.

Now, I do understand that there are people that, as you say, "become attached and fond to something and this attachment become their main attraction" to an unhealthy level. So, if that is your definition of 'god', then under your definition, those gods exist.

Congratulations! You were able to define gods in such a bizarre way, that I am not an atheist with regards to your definition. Because, yes, people do become obsessed toward things to an unhealthy level.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Simon Moon

Quote from: Arik on May 19, 2019, 09:22:46 AM

To me those stars form a design similar to a crab or maybe a lobster but astronomy is not much part of my knowledge so I really wouldn't know how to judge the sign of the stars in a perfect way.

In the old times people judge which is which so you should direct to them your complain if of course you can have a chat with them.

These stars look like the were desirned to look like a crab or a lobster? Seriously?!

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Blackleaf

Quote from: Simon Moon on May 19, 2019, 01:32:53 PM

Then you are using the word 'god' in a very nonstandard way. The vast majority of humanity, would look at you a bit strangely for using the word that way.

So, it seems like you are defining the word to be almost synonymous with 'obsession'. Not sure where that gets any of us?

Now, I do understand that there are people that, as you say, "become attached and fond to something and this attachment become their main attraction" to an unhealthy level. So, if that is your definition of 'god', then under your definition, those gods exist.

Congratulations! You were able to define gods in such a bizarre way, that I am not an atheist with regards to your definition. Because, yes, people do become obsessed toward things to an unhealthy level.

When I was a Christian, this same tactic was used in the church to basically bring everyone down to their level. If there was anything more important than god in your life, that thing was your god. So this also served as a way of shaming people who weren't Christian enough, as well as turn anyone with an interest in anything into a theist.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on May 19, 2019, 01:32:53 PM

Non-standard as in non-Western.  We are the master race, after all ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 19, 2019, 01:49:12 PM
When I was a Christian, this same tactic was used in the church to basically bring everyone down to their level. If there was anything more important than god in your life, that thing was your god. So this also served as a way of shaming people who weren't Christian enough, as well as turnint anyone with an interest in anything into a theist

Now that you are more mature (as happens to everyone, but not the same way), do you realize if you live long enough, you will look back from the future at your present self, as a kind of idiot now?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2019, 11:08:39 PM
Agnosticism doesn't exist?

i am always suspicious of false dichotomy.  Take any two opposites, I will say complements instead.  There is an edge between the head and the tails.
As I'm sure you know, agnosticism is about knowledge (or lack thereof), not belief. So an agnostic person can still either believe or not, depending on their state of willingness to believe, and nothing else. But they can't both believe and not believe at the same time. Unless, of course, they're a Gemini...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 19, 2019, 05:23:41 PM
As I'm sure you know, agnosticism is about knowledge (or lack thereof), not belief. So an agnostic person can still either believe or not, depending on their state of willingness to believe, and nothing else. But they can't both believe and not believe at the same time. Unless, of course, they're a Gemini...
...unless you are Baruch.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 19, 2019, 06:28:23 PM
...unless you are Baruch.

The regulars here are grammar Nazis ;-)  They carefully define words like Humpty Dumpty from Alice in Wonderland.  But I am more of a Cheshire Cat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 19, 2019, 05:23:41 PM

You are a binary, because you have two separate personalities ... nothing in between, like Sybil?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Simon Moon

Quote from: Baruch on May 19, 2019, 01:54:22 PM
Non-standard as in non-Western.  We are the master race, after all ;-(

No, nonstandard as in the way the vast majority of humanity, from all over the world, in many cultures, and many religions, define gods.

I can almost guarantee, that the number of Hindus that define gods as an object that one "become attached and fond to something and this attachment become their main attraction" is near zero.

Simon Moon

Quote from: Baruch on May 19, 2019, 09:46:29 PM
You are a binary, because you have two separate personalities ... nothing in between, like Sybil?

Please describe a mental state one can be in, with regards to existential claims, besides accepting the claim as being true, or not accepting the claim as being true.

In other words, besides: accepting the claim that a god exists as being true (theist), and not accepting that claim as being true (atheist), what other mental state can one be in with regards to the claim that gods exist?

If one claims that they don't know if gods exist, then that sure seems like they are in the 'not accepting the claim' camp. If one claims that they vacillate between the 2 positions, at least for part of the time, they are in the  'not accepting the claim' camp. Which is still a binary mental state.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on May 19, 2019, 05:39:55 AM
In the Multiverse, consciousness is infinity-think.  I got the gauntlet from Thanos, a nihilist, because his denial of any meaning, made him vulnerable to every used car salesman ;-)

Haven't seen those films yet. So I don't get that reference.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.