News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on May 17, 2019, 02:13:58 PM
To move sideways or obliquely.  That is a good description of my rhetorical technique.

I actually agree with that. To me, though, it gives of the vibe that you don't want to have a conversation about things but that more often than not, you just want to say a great number of things.

I like you best when you are consistent.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 18, 2019, 03:44:47 AM
I actually agree with that. To me, though, it gives of the vibe that you don't want to have a conversation about things but that more often than not, you just want to say a great number of things.

I like you best when you are consistent.

If I am inflexible, then I am a block head.  By being oblique, I am leaving my own opinion open.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2019, 04:45:56 AM
If I am inflexible, then I am a block head.  By being oblique, I am leaving my own opinion open.

No, sorry, what I feel happens is you say one thing, someone makes an aimed response and you reply with a great number of things half touching on that reply, leasurly. That's just moving out of the way to avoid your opinion coming under a closer microscope for yourself or your conversational partners. That's not keeping it open, that's keeping it from harm's way.

At least, that's how it comes across for me.

Baruch

Here is consistency ...

1. There are theists, atheists and in-between
2. It is OK to be any of those
3. Not everyone is OK with those two points, but I am

Is there anything else that needs to be said in the Religion section?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 17, 2019, 01:11:44 PM
Doesn't the word "cancer" mean "crab"?

That is the easy part UB.

The difficult part is to know the real story behind it which is something that even most doctors do not know.

In the old times people who develop a cancer didn't have any strong pain killer so when the cancer develop to the chronic stage they felt the pain of hell.
They felt like a crab bite and eat their flesh so when they were feeling this they were saying..........I got a crab......and because in Latin the world crab mean cancer obviously they were saying.........I got a cancer.

These days people with cancer can get rid of most of the pain using morphine so obviously they would think of a crab eating their flesh. 

Even the sign of the cancer in the sky look a bit like a crab.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

aitm

Quote from: Arik on May 18, 2019, 09:35:24 AM

Even the sign of the cancer in the sky look a bit like a crab.

ah...not even close to a crab. 5 stars could be anything. Now actually draw a crab around any 5 stars in the sky and voila! A crab. Sheeesh.....looks like a crab...what a nut.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2019, 05:56:51 AM
Here is consistency ...

1. There are theists, atheists and in-between
2. It is OK to be any of those
3. Not everyone is OK with those two points, but I am

Is there anything else that needs to be said in the Religion section?

Brevity helps in concistency, I guess :p

I'm not OK with the first point. But I can't claim you are being inconsistent here.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: aitm on May 18, 2019, 12:38:27 PM
ah...not even close to a crab. 5 stars could be anything. Now actually draw a crab around any 5 stars in the sky and voila! A crab. Sheeesh.....looks like a crab...what a nut.

Looks like a lobster.

Which cancer (zodiac) is in Dutch.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 18, 2019, 02:10:27 PM
Brevity helps in concistency, I guess :p

I'm not OK with the first point. But I can't claim you are being inconsistent here.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - Ralph Waldo Emerson

On #1 ... you are denying that there is an intermediate position?  Surely you aren't denying the existence of theists or atheists?

Given that root position, I am poetically free to elaborate, in a context sensitive way.  So I talk Hindu around Hindus etc.  That is versatility, not inconsistency.  Neither are obtuseness ... that is solely my fault.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2019, 02:21:13 PM
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - Ralph Waldo Emerson

On #1 ... you are denying that there is an intermediate position?  Surely you aren't denying the existence of theists or atheists?

Given that root position, I am poetically free to elaborate, in a context sensitive way.  So I talk Hindu around Hindus etc.  That is versatility, not inconsistency.  Neither are obtuseness ... that is solely my fault.

Yes, I don't deny that you are theist nor that I am atheist.
I don't agree there can be an intermediate state.

Blackleaf

If you believe in any gods, you are a theist. If you do not believe in any gods, you're an atheist. What room is there in between? Even if you're unsure and you don't want to take a stance, you still do not believe in gods, which makes you an atheist. If you believe in gods, but don't agree with the definition of the word "god," then you still a theist.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 18, 2019, 02:23:25 PM
Yes, I don't deny that you are theist nor that I am atheist.
I don't agree there can be an intermediate state.

Agnosticism doesn't exist?

i am always suspicious of false dichotomy.  Take any two opposites, I will say complements instead.  There is an edge between the head and the tails.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2019, 11:08:39 PM
Agnosticism doesn't exist?

i am always suspicious of false dichotomy.  Take any two opposites, I will say complements instead.  There is an edge between the head and the tails.

Sure it exists, but it's not an intermediate position. It's a stance on a different question all together

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 19, 2019, 02:07:40 AM
Sure it exists, but it's not an intermediate position. It's a stance on a different question all together

And the wags say, I play semantic games.

How about ... two mothers, one baby ... propose to cut the baby in half to be fair?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.