News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on May 15, 2019, 11:26:28 AM
I missed this gem on my first reading of the OP.

There are no other choices.

Either one accepts the claim that a god exists as being true. This defines them as a theist.

Or one does not accept that claim as being true. This defines them as an atheist.

This is a binary mental state. There are no other possibilities than the above 2 positions.

Narrow minded of you.  Another possibility that you haven't considered, that the two most popular positions, are both wrong.

Meanwhile all ego boosting by all sides ... I am a genius, no I am a genius ... monkey shines.

Even almost 2000 years ago, Indian Mahayana Buddhists had 4 level logic, not 2 level logic ...

A is right, B is wrong - the usual Western prejudice
A is wrong, B is right - the usual Western prejudice
A is right, B is right - via positiva in theology
A is wrong, B is wrong - via negative in theology

Meanwhile, the advocates of 18th century Enlightenment (Oh, snap, Newton was also a theologian and alchemist) continue to make false dichotomies.  If two things are complementary (as theism/atheism are), then they aren't opposites, they aren't mutually exclusive.  To make them mutually exclusive, you have to make an unconscious, or otherwise un-justified assumption.  This is almost universal in human cogitation, it is so much easier if we prematurely limit the possibilities to two on any question.  Example:

In GB, there is only Conservative or Labor, there are no other choices
In USA, there is only Republican or Democrat, there are no other choices

This hints that the major reason why we make premature or false dichotomies is because ... laziness and appeal to emotion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: aitm on May 15, 2019, 11:32:24 AM
i.e  people who aren't stupid are not going to sit and listen to your bat shit crazy prattle. And he calls them stupid....oy

Oh well, only the time will tell who is stupid and who is not.

In yoga according to our desires people reborn getting what they always wish in this life so most of the people who follow a materialist agenda will reborn chasing the same material goods and their consciousness will sink deeper and deeper into the illusion that the material reality is the real McCoy.

As it is true that you sink into the consciousness of what you eat is also true that you sink into the consciousness of what you admire and dream of and that is something very very dangerous indeed because the consciousness hidden in matter is quite low indeed.
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Arik

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 14, 2019, 02:38:53 PM
I don't understand the concept of "spiritual needs." Can you elaborate? What exactly are "spiritual needs"? Are they synonymous with emotional needs?

When you smoke, drink or take drugs you are looking for peace within and happiness but that is like a mental masturbation.

This urge that come from within tell you to seek this state of being which is not necessary a state of mind but it goes much further than that.
Weak people always try the easy way to achieve this state of being by masturbating their brain with the above substances but intelligent people understand that the feeling of achieving peace and happiness withing must be achieve in a different way.

Nothing really to do with emotions UB.
It is rather a natural call to go behind this false reality in which exist peace and happiness within and this is the real reality.

Even atheists and materialists strive to get in that spiritual dimension although they confuse the reality with the illusion nevertheless the urge to get in that state of being is there and that has nothing to do with body or mind but goes further than that and into the realm of spirituality.
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Hydra009

Quote from: Arik on May 16, 2019, 11:34:12 AMOh well, only the time will tell who is stupid and who is not.
Given your track record here, I doubt you could accurately predict whether or not it stormed yesterday with a newspaper in hand, let alone deliver the grand truth of life, the universe, and everything.

QuoteIn yoga according to our desires people reborn getting what they always wish in this life so most of the people who follow a materialist agenda will reborn chasing the same material goods and their consciousness will sink deeper and deeper into the illusion that the material reality is the real McCoy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 11, 2019, 06:34:20 AM
People are motivated by ideas.  So ideas are very important.

Correct.  Are you a vegetarian yet?

No.  I think a totally vegan diet is not sufficient for active humans.  Close is, and 90% of my food is.  But there is a difference between "some" and "none"
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Arik

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 16, 2019, 12:21:19 PM
Given your track record here, I doubt you could accurately predict whether or not it stormed yesterday with a newspaper in hand, let alone deliver the grand truth of life, the universe, and everything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

If you guys persist in thinking that NDEs are hallucinations or lies than that is your problem not mine.
Evidence is there, people are real, accidents and casualties are real and proven and so doctors and hospitals in which these people end up so the witness of thousand of these people that by the way go hand in hand which each other can not be discounted and if you do then it is you that fail not me.

Arik

Quote from: Cavebear on May 16, 2019, 01:59:57 PM
No.  I think a totally vegan diet is not sufficient for active humans.  Close is, and 90% of my food is.  But there is a difference between "some" and "none"

It is a myth that a vegan or vegetarian diet is not sufficient for active humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZwmluSn_T0

Arik

One more materialist myth is that the physical-material power is the stronger power.

There are people who can brake bricks with the head and that is a power coming from the mind when you reach the stage in which you know that you can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UE9WLnWirk

Above the mental power there is a stronger power but that is something that materialists will learn at a later stage.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Arik on May 15, 2019, 10:55:00 AM
I suppose you must go around with the blinkers on your eyes.

Where I work during the break I see 9 people out of 10 that spend most of their break time checking, sending messages and playing with their smart phone.
If you try to talk about life with them they look at you like if you are an alien that is why I said that most people are materialists that wouldn't care less whether God exist or not.

But in a way they are also theists because material things become their God but it would be better to call them.....worthless theists.

Are you related to Baruch? Because you sound like it.

Baruch

Quote from: Arik on May 17, 2019, 10:03:51 AM
One more materialist myth is that the physical-material power is the stronger power.

There are people who can brake bricks with the head and that is a power coming from the mind when you reach the stage in which you know that you can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UE9WLnWirk

Above the mental power there is a stronger power but that is something that materialists will learn at a later stage.

Some things must be seen to be believed.  Other things must be believed to be seen.  A balanced view isn't materialist or idealist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on May 17, 2019, 10:48:26 AM

How can you think of that DA?

Baruch is quite deep in intellectual knowledge.
He may well be a professor in philosophy.
I instead prefer yoga.
Yoga is little intellectuality a more meditation which is internal knowledge but again I do not know Baruch enough to judge him.
Some of the words that he use I had to go looking for the meaning in google because they were new to me.

However there is one word the Baruch may not know.
Let us see if he know where the word cancer come from and his real meaning.
You too guys can try but the rule is that nobody is allow to cheat by looking in the net or any other source of information.

Are you ready?

Unbeliever

Doesn't the word "cancer" mean "crab"?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 17, 2019, 01:11:44 PM

Yup. That's why the sign "Cancer" looks like a crab. Don't know what that's supposed to prove, though. Signs are bullshit.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on May 17, 2019, 10:48:26 AM

We are both students of S Asian culture, but he may be an actual S Asian.  My range of study covers all (hence the appearance of general philosophy rather than narrow ideology), not just S Asia.  Yoga however, in Asia ... is cross-cultural ... going back to prehistoric Asian shamanism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 17, 2019, 01:11:44 PM

But what does "crab" mean?  Several, but this one is spot on ...

To move sideways or obliquely.  That is a good description of my rhetorical technique.

Earlier I was referring to cancer by analogy with the medical term, an out of control growth.  Humans are very feral in that way.

Again from 4 years ago, my Point of Reference is Kabbalah.  There are three areas of interest in Kabbalah ...

1. Theoretical speculation - both meta-physical and physical (aka Sankhya/Jnana in Hindu culture)

2. Metaphysical practice - magic (metaphysical) (aka Bhakti/Siddhi in Hindu culture, subjective reality)

3. Physical practice - non-magic (physical) (aka Karma, Raja, Hatha in Hindu culture, objective reality)

As a pragmatist, my emphasis is on #3.  Though I am not disinterested in the first two.

The primary problem for anyone focused on a particular system is practice.  Hopefully as a retiree I can devote more time to that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.