News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 20, 2019, 11:04:50 AM
The relationship between the unconscious and conscious is dialectical, not hierarchical.  Thus thesis (conscious/unconscious) meets antithesis (unconscious/conscious) producing synthesis (subconscious).  We get content from below and from above, and output in both directions also.

Gimme a break!  I learned the thesis/antiithesis/synthesis crap back in the 60s and it was dumb then.  Its just a pedantic way of arriving at "Duh".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 11:14:23 AM
Gimme a break!  I learned the thesis/antiithesis/synthesis crap back in the 60s and it was dumb then.  Its just a pedantic way of arriving at "Duh".

Capitalists never get dialectic.  Their particular language is a limited dialect ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Arik on July 20, 2019, 11:12:53 AM
I simply put it in a different way Baruch.

The conscious mind is all about what our external mind is aware of while the unconscious mind it is all it is so far hidden to our external conscious mind.
In this way I avoid all philosophical mumbo-jumbo of intellectual extravaganza.

Sorry about that.

I stand on my previous understand about external conscious mind and subconscious.
To me it is a lot more simple way to explain how it all work.

Thanks for clarifying.  Your particular analogy is a good one.  But not one size fit all.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Arik on July 20, 2019, 11:12:53 AM
I simply put it in a different way Baruch.

The conscious mind is all about what our external mind is aware of while the unconscious mind it is all it is so far hidden to our external conscious mind.
In this way I avoid all philosophical mumbo-jumbo of intellectual extravaganza.

Sorry about that.

I stand on my previous understand about external conscious mind and subconscious.
To me it is a lot more simple way to explain how it all work.

I think conscious and sub-conscious mind theory is overblown except in aging new-age thought.  At best "sub-conscious" mind is merely the brain organizing recent events and sometimes engaging a few old memories.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 11:18:38 AM
I think conscious and sub-conscious mind theory is overblown except in aging new-age thought.  At best "sub-conscious" mind is merely the brain organizing recent events and sometimes engaging a few old memories.

No surprise you don't like "depth psychology".  Cognitive psychology would be more your thing.  People are computers, reprogram their habitual thinking patterns.  Very Dr Nunian Sung.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 11:18:38 AM

Inventors and scientists in all ages always look within for solving problems.
The ideas come from within and they come when we do an effort.

Subconscious mind can not possibly be the brain organizing anything.
Eventually it s the external mind that try to get knowledge from within, within the subconscious mind.
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Baruch

Organizing prematurely impedes creativity.  But once the idea occurs, you need organizing to push it forward (hence he necessity of the conscious mind).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Arik on July 20, 2019, 11:26:57 AM

Inventors and scientists in all ages always look within for solving problems.
The ideas come from within and they come when we do an effort.

Subconscious mind can not possibly be the brain organizing anything.
Eventually it s the external mind that try to get knowledge from within, within the subconscious mind.

I think what you are actually describing is the pre-self-conscious brain of some primates.  Call it the "almost there". 

Humans do develop ideas when not being aware they are thinking of the problem.  I myself often suddenly realize a solution to a problem (usually mechanical in nature) but it is not my subconscious doing it.  It is my conscious thought set on the back burner. 

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "subconscious".  I consider my "subconscious" as what makes my dreams weird, dredging up unrelated old memories in no logical pattern.

Arik

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 01:34:41 PM
I think what you are actually describing is the pre-self-conscious brain of some primates.  Call it the "almost there". 

Humans do develop ideas when not being aware they are thinking of the problem.  I myself often suddenly realize a solution to a problem (usually mechanical in nature) but it is not my subconscious doing it.  It is my conscious thought set on the back burner. 

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "subconscious".  I consider my "subconscious" as what makes my dreams weird, dredging up unrelated old memories in no logical pattern.

Someone, somewhere, sometime ago said that the average human doesn't even have 1% of the available consciousness.

I believe that in full.
Most humans think they are very smart and intelligent but they are not because the more we learn and the more we realize that there is to learn and people are pushed to learn by a mysterious force.
A force that come from within.

This is my understanding of how the hidden consciousness try to prompt us.
What really come from outside, outside the external mind is something very very minute just like a drop of water in the vast ocean.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Baruch

Quote from: Arik on July 22, 2019, 06:39:38 AM

Someone, somewhere, sometime ago said that the average human doesn't even have 1% of the available consciousness.

I believe that in full.
Most humans think they are very smart and intelligent but they are not because the more we learn and the more we realize that there is to learn and people are pushed to learn by a mysterious force.
A force that come from within.

This is my understanding of how the hidden consciousness try to prompt us.
What really come from outside, outside the external mind is something very very minute just like a drop of water in the vast ocean.

Don't know the percentages, but it is a necessary aspect of the mind, that is plastic/flexible/stretchable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2019, 07:32:20 AM
Don't know the percentages, but it is a necessary aspect of the mind, that is plastic/flexible/stretchable.

Sure Baruch..........as far as we do something to keep the mind in that way.

Unfortunately most people do the opposite so their mind get more and more non/flexible and non stretchable.
As far as it concern me I practice yoga that serve that purpose to keep the mind in top nick (at least I do my best).
I suppose that you too with your intellectual knowledge try your best to do something about it.

We all will get there although is a question of WHEN.

Baruch

This is why I do mental gymnastics ... at my age I need it, but have been doing it all my life.  If only I had treated my body like that ;-(  I do "out of ideology", "out of culture" or "out of language projection.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2019, 10:05:04 AM
This is why I do mental gymnastics ... at my age I need it, but have been doing it all my life.  If only I had treated my body like that ;-(  I do "out of ideology", "out of culture" or "out of language projection.

Yoga is all about a balance among body, mind and inner consciousness.
It is like a carriage pull by 3 horses.
It is by feeding and looking after all of them properly that the carriage will have a good chance to go straight and fast.
This is also my idea but again some people may have different ways to get there.

Hydra009

Quote from: Arik on July 19, 2019, 06:21:12 AMNDEs are not anecdotal evidence as according the dictionary anecdotal evidence come from an individual witness.

In the NDEs case the witness come from a group of people that were present there (doctors, nurses and other people) so it is wrong to call anecdotal in the first place.
So...if a single person claims to see Bigfoot and all you have to go on is that person's say so, that's ancedotal evidence, an extremely weak and unreliable form of evidence.

But if multiple people say they saw Bigfoot and all you have to go on is their say so, that's not ancedotal evidence and is a very strong and very reliable form of evidence.

Makes sense.

Hydra009

Quote from: Arik on July 22, 2019, 10:28:48 AM
Yoga is all about a balance among body, mind and inner consciousness.
It seems like you have done a bang-up job of balancing your cranium up your inter-gluteal cleft.