News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How many GODS do you have?

Started by Arik, May 08, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Arik on August 12, 2019, 09:11:01 AM

To say.........that bloke is dead.....is just a way to pretend that for that bloke is all over when in reality nothing is over.
It is only that humans can not see what happen behind that event.

When a person dies, there is nothing left of the consciousness more than for a swatted fly or a snuffed candle.  Your desire to continue is merely a dream.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 15, 2019, 12:11:23 PM
When a person dies, there is nothing left of the consciousness more than for a swatted fly or a snuffed candle.  Your desire to continue is merely a dream.

Your present existence is only a dream.  It isn't really real.

After you "die" please come back and give us first person evidence, thanks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 15, 2019, 01:37:56 PM
Your present existence is only a dream.  It isn't really real.

After you "die" please come back and give us first person evidence, thanks.

Ah the dream of the butterfly...  Or a butterfly's dreaming of a person. 

What you ask was actually asked of guillotine victims...  "Signal me somehow if your brain is still alive..."

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 15, 2019, 01:41:49 PM
Ah the dream of the butterfly...  Or a butterfly's dreaming of a person. 

What you ask was actually asked of guillotine victims...  "Signal me somehow if your brain is still alive..."

No.  Per discussions here, that isn't real NDE.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 15, 2019, 01:55:16 PM
No.  Per discussions here, that isn't real NDE.

I claim the guillotine IS a real death.  Just saying that some people wondered about the brain briefly.

Unbeliever

Here's something about that at Top 10 Myths About the Brain:

Your Brain Stays Active After You Get Decapitated

QuoteThese stories seem to give credence to the idea that it's possible for someone to remain conscious, even for just a few seconds, after being beheaded. However, most modern physicians believe that the reactions described above are actually reflexive twitching of muscles, rather than conscious, deliberate movement.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 15, 2019, 02:06:22 PM
Here's something about that at Top 10 Myths About the Brain:

Your Brain Stays Active After You Get Decapitated

Which may explain a lot about the political "talking heads" on TV.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 15, 2019, 01:58:03 PM
I claim the guillotine IS a real death.  Just saying that some people wondered about the brain briefly.

Do it.  The chicken laying eggs isn't committed.  The pig from whom the bacon comes, is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 14, 2019, 02:46:00 PM
Bruh....

Quick rule of thumb since you're having a surprisingly hard time telling near death apart from death.

Near death:  wakes up and walks around after flatlining for a while

Death:  doesn't move, goes cold, rigor mortis, buried/cremated

Was that really so difficult?

I guess you've never watched TWD...

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on August 13, 2019, 11:47:31 PM
Not quite true.  All modern computer CPUs are Turing Machines.  A Turing Machine is an idea, that can be simulated by various kinds of hardware, even by a human with paper and pencil.  Once you have a simulation of a Turing Machine, then it can do anything any other computer can do.  It is universal.  That is what makes it a Turing Machine, instead of a more limited thing.

What is a virtual machine?  That doesn't mean that the hardware is some executing code on some transcendental alien computer (we had a guy here 2 years ago who argued that reality is a computer simulation).  A virtual machine is a particular software implementation of a Turing Machine, running on the hardware implementation of a Turing Machine.  So actually not something new.  Every OS already is a virtual machine.  Only the bottom level algorithms run directly on the hardware.  The term "virtual machine" is also used in program application architecture.  One can choose to build a program that explicitly has the structure of an emulation of a Turing Machine (a CPU emulation) ... though of course this is alway implicitly true.  This is commonly done in engineering new chips.
Think of it like a box containing a box - I think is an apt analogy. Or another example are people building CPU architecture within Minecraft with all the accompanying RAM and memory storage using redstone as logic gates. It's not impossible to create virtual architecture that mimics the underlying physical one like this.

A very good example of this is The Halting Problem, where they use proof by contradiction to prove that any program that runs itself about determining if it halts or continuous forever in a loop results in a contradiction. It's a special case, yes, but it demonstrates that it's an underlying problem  in logic. Computerphile covered this nearly 5 years ago in a 6 minute vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=macM_MtS_w4

Personally I think the reality we inhabit is "ground truth" and not some simulation. The whole statistical argument about the likelihood of this being a simulation, because it's more likely that we're the result of some sort of Matroska-style brain "computer" achieved by an advanced civilization - or what have you - reminds me of the Drake equation which is just an arbitrary assessment of variables about the likelihood of life existing elsewhere, when we only have one data point, ours. Except in the simulation argument this is turned on its head.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 15, 2019, 08:09:40 PM
I guess you've never watched TWD...

Corpses we all are, in homeostasis or not. In Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity, this is called a cremation ground meditation.  Shiva was famous for it.  Those same ashes are used in Lent celebration.

Well, physical reality can be mimicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEsfpRrfXf4

A French mime can mimic being in all sorts of trouble ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 12:43:14 AM
Corpses we all are, in homeostasis or not. In Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity, this is called a cremation ground meditation.  Shiva was famous for it.  Those same ashes are used in Lent celebration.

Well, physical reality can be mimicked.

The Walking Dead don't do mimic stuff. Watch the TV show, dumdum...

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 12:43:14 AM

Yes, but can a mime mimic being a mine?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

josephpalazzo

∞ + ∞ = ∞

2∞ = ∞

2=1

;-)

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 16, 2019, 01:33:20 PM
Yes, but can a mime mimic being a mine?

Dangerous.  Known to cause implosions.  French mimes are known in such circumstances to prefer cheap wine and ever cheaper cheese.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.