Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

View the Supermoon

Started by Smartmarzipan, June 22, 2013, 08:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Supermoon this Sunday morning: 14% larger and 30% brighter than most full moons
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/weather/supermo ... full-moons

QuoteThis happens when the moon is full and at the same time reaches its perigee -- the closest point to Earth in its orbit, according to NASA.
It makes for the biggest, brightest moon of the year. A Supermoon, sometimes called a Super Full Moon, is 14% larger and 30% brighter than most full moons, NASA says.
Taken separately, neither a full moon nor the perigee is a big deal. The moon is full roughly once a month, and it reaches its perigee just as often, but the next time both will coincide will be August 2014.
This year's magic moment occurs at 7:32 a.m. ET, but it would be wise to wager a gander earlier.
In some parts of the United States the sun will rise beforehand, outshining the Supermoon's splendor. And the moon itself will dip below the horizon in parts of the country, just before it hits its perigee.
The West Coast should get a great view of the perfect moment, when the moon is only 221,824 miles from Earth.

I wonder if I can drag my ass outta bed tomorrow morning before dawn to see it....  :-D
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Elohim

Sweet! Thank you for the heads up.
"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
- PopeyesPappy

aitm

speaking of supermoons you never commented on the picture I sent you... [-(
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "aitm"speaking of supermoons you never commented on the picture I sent you... [-(

There were a lot of craters.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

aitm

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"
Quote from: "aitm"speaking of supermoons you never commented on the picture I sent you... [-(

There were a lot of craters.

THAT.. :-s

was uncalled for.... [-(
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Aroura33

It is raining and totally cloud covered here tonight.  I can see the mon shining behind the clouds, but cannot actually see the moon.  BUMMER!!

Will try again later, maybe the clouds will pass.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

SGOS

Same here.  Nothing but a soup of clouds and fog up there this morning.  But I did see a supermoon under perfect conditions once.  It was around 10 PM with a clear sky and a blanket of snow on the ground.  I'd never seen that much light in the woods in the middle of the night before.  I couldn't explain it until I read what had happened a couple of days later.

Jelly Penutbutter

I got to see the moon before it reached its closest point to Earth, it was still pretty amazing!
-JP

StupidWiz

I saw it, twas beautiful... it was indeed brighter than usual.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

AllPurposeAtheist

I watched the moon rise up Sunday evening. First it appeared as just a sliver above the trees, but then I noticed it seemed to really speed up. Then it passed behind power lines and could visibly see those lines seem to actually move across the moon.
A good time was had by all as we sang, 'There's a bathroom on the right..' .. :D/
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

I'm guessing that the effects of the supermoon gradually build on the days before it's zenith.  It might be my imagination, but while it was cloudy the night of the main event, the moonlight outside my house did seem to be unusually bright a couple of days before and after the event.

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"There were a lot of craters.
There are a lot more on the otherside. Is it because this side is saved by Earth's presence? It is rains in India.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

WitchSabrina

Needless to say the Super Moon was very magical for me.  Combine that with me at Ren Faire for the weekend and I'm in 7th heaven.   YAY

What does 7th heaven mean anyway?  Does anyone know?
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Aupmanyav

Well, there are supposed to be seven in many religions. The real mystery is why 7? Why 7 is such a precious number?
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"Well, there are supposed to be seven in many religions. The real mystery is why 7? Why 7 is such a precious number?

found this
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_does_th ... _come_from

and this
http://peacefulparadox.hubpages.com/hub ... en-special
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.