Spanish Reconquista ... or how to deal with Muslims

Started by Baruch, April 29, 2019, 08:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9UnQa0m8pQ

A very nice and recent historical overview.  Usually English speakers if they know any history at all, are woefully lacking outside of Anglo-American history.  Enjoy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Well, I thought you were referring to something Mexican President Vincente Fox mentioned once about Mexican immigration into the SW US...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 06, 2019, 02:20:45 AM
Well, I thought you were referring to something Mexican President Vincente Fox mentioned once about Mexican immigration into the SW US...

I am not anti-Hispanic.  Not the same people as Moors.  I would have more problems if our neighbor to the south as Morocco.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 07:05:28 AM
I am not anti-Hispanic.  Not the same people as Moors.  I would have more problems if our neighbor to the south as Morocco.

Neither am I.  But Vincente Fox once referred to the hispanic immigration to the SW US as "The Reconquista", and I never forgot that.  The US stole it fair and square and they should just forget that.  Or Trump will double the tariffs, LOL!.

And BTW, the Spaniards are not Moors; they are Visigoths from Central Northern Europe who were pushed into the Iberian area by the Franks who came later...

Baruch

A bit more complicated.  Spanish in Spain even have more than one language (not even counting Portuguese), are not just multi-ethnic.  New World Hispanics are completely different.  People were living in Iberia since the last Ice Age ... just as Native Americans were in Mexico.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 09, 2019, 02:06:14 PM
A bit more complicated.  Spanish in Spain even have more than one language (not even counting Portuguese), are not just multi-ethnic.  New World Hispanics are completely different.  People were living in Iberia since the last Ice Age ... just as Native Americans were in Mexico.

OK, I didn't want to get all THAT complicated, so this is all YOUR fault.

Originally, there were the Neandertals and maybe some older homos before them  that became them.  Depends on whether you are a multi-regionist or not.  But the archaic homo sapiens found the darn pennisula off Asia and moved in.  Those cro-magnons were over-run by people we call the Picts.  Need I go on?  "Yes"?  OK...

In general terms, the Picts were pushed into the English Isles by the New Kids On The Block, the Celts (or pre-Celts, it's tricky).  Meanwhile, the Phoenicians were escaping the Middle East Coast and settled around what would become Rome.  The Etruscans taught them construction and some local skills, but you know those Romans; half a loaf wasn't enough (See 'One Tin Soldier Rides Away') and the Romans took the whole loaf and the daughters too).

Meanwhile various group of Celts were pushing each other around up North.  The Gauls came in from Central Asia (doesn't everyone)? 

So the Celts were splushed over to modern day France and the Gauls and Romans had at each other for a century or two.  And the Celts decided that the English Isles (not called that at the time of course) seemed safer and pushed the Picts into the "Far Edges". 

So The Romans finally realized they had taught their Gaulish allies their good military tricks and there more Gauls than Romans, so GUESS WHAT HAPPENED?

The Sack of Rome and man were they SACKED.  In fact no Roman had a sack to shit in!   

The Gauls (or Goths) weren't a single group actually, and they were being pushed East by the Huns, so various groups went whichway.

The Visigoths decided Iberia was a good place, the Franks liked what would become France (cool how the names worked out that way), The Lombards, IIRC decided Rome was cool, (and I may be wrong about that but this is all off the top of my head). 

In the East, Constantine and his hooker wife had some success diverting the Gauls around to Western Europe.  He had some brief struggles and once was tempted to abdicate but his wife (forget the name, Flavia?) said "like hell you will, I'm not going to be a hooker again" and they stayed on the Byzantine thrones.

The Visigoths took Iberia and North Africa, the Franks France, etc.  Til they were pushed East by the Huns again.  Some hung on in the English Isles and annoyed the remaining Celts into Scotland and Ireland and the far-flung Isles Of Langerhans.  The Welsh may be Pictish, I forget.  But they were all Modern Homo Sapiens, so what does it really matter?  Ask THEM and you'll get a strong opinion, LOL!  But they apparently mated merrily.

The Visigoths thought they had it made in the shade until the Next God  adherents showed up and took Africa North and Iberia right to the Pyranees and sang a song for Roland which got them back on track (their hats all said EFTE).  Which meant "Europe For The Europeans".  That didn't have a great ring to it (especially considering they came from Asia), but you go with what you've got, right?

After that Columbus was so stupid that he decided the world was only 8,000 miles around (the Greeks knew the DIAMETER was about 8,000, so he probably mistranslated that) and found some suckers with a lot of wealth and desiring more to fund a few leaky vessels.   manned by death row criminals with no better options.

And here we are in The Glorious New World (never mind it was occupied)...

OK, Baruch?

LOL!

Baruch

Show off.  Show me yours and I will show you mine TMI.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 10, 2019, 08:34:05 AM
Show off.  Show me yours and I will show you mine TMI.

Go ahead.  What's YOUR version?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2019, 02:41:08 AM
Go ahead.  What's YOUR version?

Not feeling so verbose today.

The Basque are the only original people, all others should leave ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 04:43:40 AM
Not feeling so verbose today.

The Basque are the only original people, all others should leave ;-)

Not so talkative when you don't have any facts, huh?  Well, I've always wondered about the Basques.  For one thing, they seem to speak a language with very old and neither Latin nor Celtic nor Gaulic roots.  Ive read a few books on language origins and there are hunts on Eastern Asia there but not Chinese or SE Asia.  Some roots like in Native American languages.  But it has been some years and I don't recall the details. 

I recall reading of Basque sailors who could guess at some Native American words sucessfully.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2019, 06:59:11 AM
Not so talkative when you don't have any facts, huh?  Well, I've always wondered about the Basques.  For one thing, they seem to speak a language with very old and neither Latin nor Celtic nor Gaulic roots.  Ive read a few books on language origins and there are hunts on Eastern Asia there but not Chinese or SE Asia.  Some roots like in Native American languages.  But it has been some years and I don't recall the details. 

I recall reading of Basque sailors who could guess at some Native American words sucessfully.

OK, more on Spain, not no Moors ...

Euskara = Basque language in Basque, the only Basque word I know ... they are descended from the Cro-Magnon people.

It is possible that Basque sailors were fishing off Canada (Newfoundland Grand Bank) before Columbus got to the Bahamas,  And were guarding it as a trade secret.  They still go fishing there.

Also Iberia is potential site if Atlantis ... Now Doña National Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caj0q0-7mMk

It was Tartessus, near the Pillars of Hercules (Gibraltar).  This is why GB won't give up Gibraltar ... access to Atlantean technology!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartessos
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 08:35:28 AM
OK, more on Spain, not no Moors ...

Euskara = Basque language in Basque, the only Basque word I know ... they are descended from the Cro-Magnon people.

It is possible that Basque sailors were fishing off Canada (Newfoundland Grand Bank) before Columbus got to the Bahamas,  And were guarding it as a trade secret.  They still go fishing there.

Thank you for the idea of the Basques fishing off Canada.  I had read that a few places.  Basque might be one of the oldest remnant languages in Europe. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 12, 2019, 01:05:27 AM
Thank you for the idea of the Basques fishing off Canada.  I had read that a few places.  Basque might be one of the oldest remnant languages in Europe.

Saw a documentary once, on the fishermen who used to go and fish the hard way.  Larger ship, get into a small boat by yourself, many miles off of Canada, with a long drag line, with big hooks.  Put bait on each hook.  Takes half a day to let the line down.  Then spend another half day bringing it up.  All alone in that boat, some distance from the mother ship, sometimes in fog and darkness ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XRAUZYyKws
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 12, 2019, 03:45:29 AM
Saw a documentary once, on the fishermen who used to go and fish the hard way.  Larger ship, get into a small boat by yourself, many miles off of Canada, with a long drag line, with big hooks.  Put bait on each hook.  Takes half a day to let the line down.  Then spend another half day bringing it up.  All alone in that boat, some distance from the mother ship, sometimes in fog and darkness ...

Bobbing along in the ocean at night must have taken some nerves...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 12, 2019, 06:14:33 AM
Bobbing along in the ocean at night must have taken some nerves...

Hence the women, and widows, going thru a wailing routine ... because some men won't be coming back.

And the fish started to smell before you got back to the big boat ;-)

The film is about the last of the Portuguese fishing fleet, but I have read that the Basques pioneered this in the 15th century.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.