News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Re: Proofs of God

Started by Munch, December 06, 2017, 07:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

wooooooow, that is such a fresh take on it, this is so new.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

I wonder.  What do you suppose is the most commonly used fallacy as proof of God?

Baruch

No respect until you introduce yourself.  After that, you have to earn respect the hard way.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on December 06, 2017, 08:02:39 PM
I wonder.  What do you suppose is the most commonly used fallacy as proof of God?

I'd guess its the one of 'since you weren't there at the start of the big bang, how can you prove god wasn't there to make it happen' one.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on December 06, 2017, 08:47:33 PM
I'd guess its the one of 'since you weren't there at the start of the big bang, how can you prove god wasn't there to make it happen' one.
What would that be?  Perhaps the argument from ignorance:  "You don't know, so it must be from God" ??

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on December 06, 2017, 09:11:52 PM
What would that be?  Perhaps the argument from ignorance:  "You don't know, so it must be from God" ??

sounds about right. Which is also why the majority of scientists are atheist or agnostic, being the pursuit of science is to grow upon what it already knows.

Sal1981

Argument from ignorance, just because I wasn't there to witness something, doesn't mean that something did or didn't happen.

pr126

Welcome to our Muslim poster. A rare honor indeed.

Don't scare him away, we need to learn the TRUTH.

Bring on the dawah!

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on December 06, 2017, 08:02:39 PM
Probably "You can't prove it wasn't, so it was!"
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on December 07, 2017, 10:22:28 AM
Argument from ignorance, just because I wasn't there to witness something, doesn't mean that something did or didn't happen.
I was trying to take Munch's example and identify the fallacy bag it comes from.  This example, like most theist reasoning, includes little twists and turns with bits of various fallacies that work in chorus that cause the argument to fail.  You are exactly right, however.  Just because a bit of reasoning doesn't fit well into a common fallacy, doesn't mean it passes logical scrutiny.

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on December 07, 2017, 10:43:06 AM
Probably "You can't prove it wasn't, so it was!"
That's the argument from ignorance, isn't it, or am I missing something?

Sal1981

There's a plethora of arguments from ignorance. This one is basically about not witnessing something, therefore true/false.

Mike Cl

Just another drive-by-troll.  Typical, nothing special. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on December 07, 2017, 10:47:31 AM
That's the argument from ignorance, isn't it, or am I missing something?
And shifting the burden of proof.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on December 07, 2017, 12:15:39 PM
And shifting the burden of proof.
Yeah, that's what I meant about theist logic taking bits of fallacies and mixing them together. 

Remember Randy?  This was a foundation of much of his arguing.  He even copied and pasted some nonsense about one bit of evidence (one fallacy) may not be proof of God, but several bits of evidence (many fallacies combined) may very well prove his existence.  In his defense, the stuff in parenthesis were not part of his quote.  None-the-less, each bit of evidence he presented contained a fallacy, and sometimes even a truth, but none proved existence.