News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Greetings

Started by mordant, April 27, 2019, 02:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordant

I thought I'd explore here at bit. I have been active under this handle on city-data/agnostic & atheism forum and on The Thinking Atheist forum (now defunct) and more recently on the Agnostic.com community. I identify as an atheist (no belief) of the agnostic variety (no knowledge possible about the [non] existence of gods since the god hypothesis is non-falsifiable). I left evangelical Christianity a generation ago (I'm now in my early 60s) and am an independent consultant doing software design and development. I reside in upstate NY with my wife and stepson, two dogs and an elderly cat.

I was active enough in fundamentalism to have spent a year in one of their Bible Institutes back in my salad days, but on some level could faintly hear my bullshit detector buzzing away, buried under a few layers of denial and taboo. When lived experience was discordant enough with the failed epistemology of religious faith, I bailed. But I do bring a better than average understanding of evangelical dogma and "thought" to the table, as well as a pretty good understanding of what makes them tick. Yet ... I am pretty merciless in calling out their self-ratifying nonsense.

Hope to get to know you folks and have some mutually enlightening interactions with you.

Unbeliever

Hi mordant! Glad to have a new face, even though we can't see it. :-P
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Hello.

Agnostic atheist apostate here.

Mike Cl

Welcome, mordant.  I was never an ardent christian, but not from lack of trying.  Over the course of most of my life, I tried to become a Southern Baptist, Church of Christ (both in Alabama), several Methodist sects and finally Unity.  I was in the Unity church for over 10 yrs. and was even on the church board for 3 yrs, with one term as president and another as VP.  Finally came to fully realize that that was all simply fiction and there was no there, there.  As I see it, the universe is proof positive that there is no god of any kind.  Earth nature is more proof.  So, if I must assume a title it would be as a strong positive atheist thinking it impossible for a god(s) to exist or ever existed.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

hobby420

Welcome to the group!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PickelledEggs

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.