News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Materialists failing to understand evolution.

Started by Arik, April 23, 2019, 10:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 26, 2019, 01:11:30 AM
I suppose? Gosh, Baruch, is retirement not agreeing with you? You never needed much to launch an odd statement. But you seem to be going to extremes immediately as of late, in al threads I happen to read your posts.

Don't feel any different.  With this string I am trying to massage the semantics.  Two cultures speaking past each other.

It is the "EU is god" and the "Dems are god" people who are extreme.  Idolatry, like primitive man eating Amazonians.  The psychopathy is strong with this decade.  We need more drugs, more protests, more STD.  Then we will get our groovy back.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on April 26, 2019, 03:17:22 AM
Don't feel any different.  With this string I am trying to massage the semantics.  Two cultures speaking past each other.

It is the "EU is god" and the "Dems are god" people who are extreme.  Idolatry, like primitive man eating Amazonians.  The psychopathy is strong with this decade.  We need more drugs, more protests, more STD.  Then we will get our groovy back.

I guess I could help with the protests... Even if it means getting out of my chair. You handle the drugs and the std's, 'Kay?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 26, 2019, 04:26:12 AM
I guess I could help with the protests... Even if it means getting out of my chair. You handle the drugs and the std's, 'Kay?

But not yellow vests ... maybe red vests is more your color ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 25, 2019, 11:45:55 AM
You seem to have a very hard time concentrating. You've got that backwards. In the car/driver scenario, the person is the thing in control, not the car. That means that the driver is more like the brain in this analogy.

Wrong again BL.

The brain IS NOT the driver.
Something inside the brain is the driver instead and that is called consciousness or the I.

YOU, YOU, and YOU.
The fact that YOU reside inside the brain doesn't mean that you are the brain.
This is a point that materialists still haven't reach.
You guys will one day but in the meantime you still float in a sea of fantasies.

QuoteAnd you missed the point. The importance of our brain is that it has allowed ourselves to survive so easily that we no longer think about survival in our daily lives. We can focus on other things like entertainment, enlightenment, etc. You seem to be under the impression that we desire those things because they are somehow more important than our survival. If you really believe that, try offering a book to a starving person and see how they react. We only care about comfort, entertainment, and enlightenment when our basic needs are met.

More fantasies that by the way have nothing to do with the point we are discussing.
There is no questions that the body and the brain must be in top condition if we want to progress.
Even the Romans were saying ................mens sana in corpore sano.........which means................a healthy mind in a healthy body but again this doesn't means that the brain is you.
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Arik

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 26, 2019, 01:11:30 AM
I suppose? Gosh, Baruch, is retirement not agreeing with you? You never needed much to launch an odd statement. But you seem to be going to extremes immediately as of late, in al threads I happen to read your posts.

I also suppose that brother Baruch is a little bit too elaborate intellectually speaking but by being a theist he already got out the box so the retirement for him must be long long way away.  :cheesy:
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Blackleaf

Quote from: Arik on April 26, 2019, 10:21:06 AM

Wrong again BL.

The brain IS NOT the driver.
Something inside the brain is the driver instead and that is called consciousness or the I.

YOU, YOU, and YOU.
The fact that YOU reside inside the brain doesn't mean that you are the brain.
This is a point that materialists still haven't reach.
You guys will one day but in the meantime you still float in a sea of fantasies.

More fantasies that by the way have nothing to do with the point we are discussing.
There is no questions that the body and the brain must be in top condition if we want to progress.
Even the Romans were saying ................mens sana in corpore sano.........which means................a healthy mind in a healthy body but again this doesn't means that the brain is you.

You know, when most people say, "you're wrong," they usually follow that with reasons they think the other person is wrong. You, on the other hand just say, "Nuh-uh!" Arguing with you is like arguing with a toddler. You're a hopeless idiot who thinks he's brilliant. Every time I talk to you, you remind me why I usually choose to ignore you.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Arik

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 26, 2019, 11:04:23 AM
You know, when most people say, "you're wrong," they usually follow that with reasons they think the other person is wrong. You, on the other hand just say, "Nuh-uh!" Arguing with you is like arguing with a toddler. You're a hopeless idiot who thinks he's brilliant. Every time I talk to you, you remind me why I usually choose to ignore you.

Why do I say that you are wrong?

Simple BL.
You still haven't got the clue that the consciousness can not possibly be the brain.
While the brain is made of matter the consciousness is not.
The consciousness is an abstract entity which is millions miles different from something made of matter so by not understanding this is quite clear that you are 100% wrong.

Baruch

Quote from: Arik on April 26, 2019, 10:33:20 AM

I also suppose that brother Baruch is a little bit too elaborate intellectually speaking but by being a theist he already got out the box so the retirement for him must be long long way away.  :cheesy:

Sometimes a metaphor has to be spelled out more accurately.  Your model is I think correct, but is missing details.  Blackleaf's is more detailed, but is assuming certain things that materialists always assume.  Whatever anyone thinks about the mind, all we have is metaphors.  Actual neural events, are just that, neural events.  See psychophysics.  But that isn't what either of you is talking about (neurology).  In a manner of speaking, just like "cause/effect" and "explanation" ... all models of the mind/spirit, ancient or modern, are metaphors, because per Zen, ultimately all words fail.  Words and reality are incommensurable.  Only a very small part of reality relates to words (thought, speech, writing), which are instrumentalities for something that is ineffable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Arik on April 26, 2019, 11:33:07 AM

Why do I say that you are wrong?

Simple BL.
You still haven't got the clue that the consciousness can not possibly be the brain.
While the brain is made of matter the consciousness is not.
The consciousness is an abstract entity which is millions miles different from something made of matter so by not understanding this is quite clear that you are 100% wrong.

Exactly.  As many an ancient pointed out, thought isn't material (though one Greek tought it was tiny gas like atoms).  Turns out, electrical impulses in the nervous tissue, is like what that Greek thought.  The electron is actually the ancient Greek word for "amber" which was first used by Thales to show electrostatic phenomena.  Science didn't catch up for another 2300 years.  But I agree that electrons or their movement isn't the same as mind/spirit, anymore than the electron motion in a radio receiver is the same as music.

But for a materialist, nothing is ineffable, per Democritus, there are only tiny indivisible particles and their movement (which did solve an early philosophical conundrum regarding "change").  For them to even recognize your point, they have to step outside their fundamental Democritean assumption.  Which is as hard for people in general, as it was for geometricians to realize that non-Euclidean geometry was rational.  Atheists are not skeptics in general, just skeptics of theism, religion or both.  Their lack of skepticism regarding politics shows they are mere mortals ;-)

The modern move from materialism to physicalism (particles plus fields) doesn't change the conundrum ... though starting with Galileo ... the idea of "fields" was woo-woo, and Newton was forced to accept the idea, subsequently developed by Coulomb and Henry.  Today we model empty space-time as a sea of virtual particles, we are back to the plenum of Descartes, though more like the vacuum of Toricelli.  A kind of compromise between Democritus and Descartes, thanks to Heisenberg and Dirac.  Though now the field is primary and the particle is secondary (a quantum of the field, the field not generated by the particle).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Unbeliever

Before anyone can think outside the box they first need to know what's inside the box.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 30, 2019, 05:49:44 PM
Before anyone can think outside the box they first need to know what's inside the box.

To bad nobody knows.  They mistakenly think they are badly programmed  bio-computers ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 26, 2019, 11:04:23 AM
The average intelligence of the posts does go up markedly when you can't see his anymore.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on April 30, 2019, 08:23:43 PM
The average intelligence of the posts does go up markedly when you can't see his anymore.
He functions for this board as Faux News does for people who watch 'news'. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 30, 2019, 08:45:14 PM
He functions for this board as Faux News does for people who watch 'news'.

trdsf commenting on Blackleaf commenting on Arik.  Up your game or go back to Start.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.