HALO DRIVE: Could We Use Black Holes for Space Travel?

Started by Unbeliever, April 16, 2019, 06:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

This is remarkable! Black holes for propulsion - but not soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC2pB29HHnc

https://www.universetoday.com/141724/using-black-holes-to-conquer-space-the-halo-drive/

What about the accretion disk around the black hole, wouldn't that impede the laser?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Thinking you can use a black hole, instead of the black hole using you, is somewhat distorted, gravitationally speaking ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFv9ZRAqG1s

Disney's Black Hole, where scifi crosses over to Hell.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 17, 2019, 12:15:38 AM
Not likely at this time, imho.
First, we have to get to one. Then we have to send a ship through. Preferably one with the hex-wife in it. If she survives we retrieve the ship and send it back through, repeat until it doesn't reappear.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

I don't think it's likely at any time, tbh. Space is just too fucking big. It makes circumnavigating the Earth look like walking to your kitchen, and even that took us how many thousands of years of civilization to do?

Unless we develop computers that can come up with a solution, we will as a species be long dead before we explore the stars. And if we have developed computers that smart... then I feel we will have much larger problems to deal with.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on April 17, 2019, 12:08:58 PM
I don't think it's likely at any time, tbh. Space is just too fucking big. It makes circumnavigating the Earth look like walking to your kitchen, and even that took us how many thousands of years of civilization to do?

Unless we develop computers that can come up with a solution, we will as a species be long dead before we explore the stars. And if we have developed computers that smart... then I feel we will have much larger problems to deal with.

I like Seri's voice better than yours, so doesn't that make you an expendable meat sausage?

Ask anyone who is wheelchair bound.  It is hard, and took millennia (to develop a good wheel chair, long after wheels were invented).  So getting to the kitchen or potty for many people, is harder than you might think.  At least in space, a black hole doesn't stink like an old person's porta-poty.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 16, 2019, 08:40:08 PM
No.

Is that because there is a disk around the spin or do you think there is a sphere around it.  Just asking...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!