The Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris Is On Fire

Started by drunkenshoe, April 15, 2019, 03:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Minimalist

Cultural disaster.  Gothic architecture at its finest. 
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Shiranu

It's times like these I remember why it's best to avoid social media. For me, it's like being stabbed in the chest to see those photos and videos. ... but then I see all these hateful posts about it. The amount of racism against French people, or celebrating because it happened to Catholics and fuck Catholics, or just outright trolling is fucking ridiculous.

Fuck our obsession with clout and attention, there is not a drop of either that is good for us.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Bloody fucking shame.

Hope the hunchback made it out.

Seriously though: fucking shame. Glad to have seen it in full glory when I was younger.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

aitm

The world would be better off is social media was neither.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Unbeliever

According to Trump, the French didn't do enough raking.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

It's still bad, but yanno, this isn't the first time Europeans have had to rebuild churches.

Mr.Obvious

What if it was all just a part of Disney's live action remake of the hunchback of notre Dame ?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

You mean the Frollo scene finally got out of hand? It was the best part of the movie! 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Yes it is bad, but at this point it looks like it could have been worse. A lot of the artwork had been removed due to the renovations. It is probably too early to know how much damage the heat did too much of the stonework though. My money is on a welder as the cause.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

aitm

Nah, damn french and their crappy cigarettes.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on April 15, 2019, 03:53:20 PM
It's times like these I remember why it's best to avoid social media. For me, it's like being stabbed in the chest to see those photos and videos. ... but then I see all these hateful posts about it. The amount of racism against French people, or celebrating because it happened to Catholics and fuck Catholics, or just outright trolling is fucking ridiculous.

Fuck our obsession with clout and attention, there is not a drop of either that is good for us.

Yeah, the same here. Here is the drill over here. The dumb religious freaks 'celebrate' because, yanno 'god's punishment' and then seculars get into fight with the dumb getting dumber, sometimes even escalates to threats and blah blah...dumb nationalists, the right wing nutters join in with why someone would be sensitive about en event like this in an another country. Then there is me, fingers crossed for an imminent metorite strike.

drunkenshoe

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit