The Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris Is On Fire

Started by drunkenshoe, April 15, 2019, 03:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I'm just so glad they were able to save the Crown of Thorns that Jesus wore at his last big shindig.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 17, 2019, 02:09:09 PM
I'm just so glad they were able to save the Crown of Thorns that Jesus wore at his last big shindig.

Just be glad god wasn't home when it happened.

He could've died!

I mean... Died again.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

That church building is France.  If the fire had raged another 30 mins, nothing would be left.  Then the (german) Franks would have to get out and ownership would revert to the Romans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 16, 2019, 04:43:11 PM
It's very sad, sweety. :/

A piece of history being destroyed in front of me is saddening
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on April 17, 2019, 06:42:17 PM

Then you aren't a barbarian, unlike some still in this world today.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

I'm back.

couldn't give my thoughts on it while having been banned, but still, this was tragic to see unfold.

Notre Dame is more then just a religious building or church for catholic worship. Its beauty and architecture is world renowned, inspiring many from literature to architectural design and grandeur. I was glad to know the fire fighters rescued the works of art from, so much history could have been lost.

The fact is with so much soulless modern buildings going for more industrial designs, having monuments of architecture from centuries ago still standing today is an achievement in itself.

however I will say macron's claim they will have the roof restored in 5 years is a little short sighted, its better they spend time and integrity in restoring it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on April 17, 2019, 06:42:17 PM

I was concerned about the rose window, pretty much symbolic art piece. That and the other windows survived thankfully.

https://aleteia.org/2019/04/17/notre-dames-rose-windows-survived-the-fire/

newer windows were damaged, but the ones from the 12 century survived, though need to be heavily inspected.

also, big hand to the guy who donated 100 million euros to the restoration project

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/15/billionaire-francois-henri-pinault-just-pledged-more-than-100-million-euros-to-rebuild-the-notre-dame-cathedral/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer_us=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_cs=NOAQIq9Htid1rbUpZRrwPA
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Apparently, GOD decided HE was tired of the place.  Too many tourists or something.   Or maybe HE hated the bells and all. 

I always find it vaguely humorous when religious structures burn.  After all, if a deity who is in total control allows/causes it, HE must have a reason, right?

(coff coff)...

I regret the damage to it as a piece of outstanding human architecture and worker effort.  But as a religious structure holding fake relics and the wealth of poor people frightened by the threats of Hell, I say good riddance to it and may it totally collapse inwardly in itself with no damage to surrounding buildings.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Your POV fits right into an element of the novel Elmer Gantry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 18, 2019, 03:06:50 PM
Your POV fits right into an element of the novel Elmer Gantry.

Never read it.  What's your point?  I don't want to keyword search a whole novel in pursuit of what is certain to be a bogus analogy...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 04:18:40 PM
Never read it.  What's your point?  I don't want to keyword search a whole novel in pursuit of what is certain to be a bogus analogy...

One of the culpable characters (televangelists) dies in a church fire, because they are too disconnected from reality to stay away.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.