News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Masters

Started by hobby420, April 14, 2019, 10:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobby420

As a golfer, the Masters is the highlight of the year for me.  I have noticed that, other than Bubba (Christard!), most pro golfers don't go on about their belief.  So, I did some digging and found this interesting article in Golf Digest.

A Glimpse Inside The Soul Of Pro Golf:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/golf-and-religion-on-tour-adler

H420

aitm

I don't watch enough to get that involved. Completely unrelated however is what I find the general public's fascination and love for Tiger Woods. This somewhat surprises me given his history domestically. Most people become a little jaded toward a person who has cheated on the wife(s).

The first surprise about Tiger to me was when he started how much my Mom and Dad loved him. This is a surprise because they are both rather racist, and Mom never cared a whit about golf, but there they were glued to the TV watching golf. I was rather stunned.

But today the press is just in a lather about him and the hoards of people who cheer for him is astounding. Now granted, golf fans are really the best because they pretty much cheer for everybody. Non-the-less the want for Tiger to get back to the top is like a neurosis to golf. I find that just baffling.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

I think that G-d is the ultimate source of the legal mulligan.  Particularly on those shots across a putting green where just one little grass stem is enough to decide if the ball goes in the hole or not ;-)  G-d is in the margins, of the grass.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

hobby420

Quote from: aitm on April 14, 2019, 11:40:11 AM

But today the press is just in a lather about him and the hoards of people who cheer for him is astounding. Now granted, golf fans are really the best because they pretty much cheer for everybody. Non-the-less the want for Tiger to get back to the top is like a neurosis to golf. I find that just baffling.
I couldn't agree more!  I crank about this often... Tiger could miss the cut and they would be talking about what he was having for breakfast.  I am not a fan his, mostly because of what we are discussing.

Baruch

Quote from: hobby420 on April 14, 2019, 11:57:56 AM
I couldn't agree more!  I crank about this often... Tiger could miss the cut and they would be talking about what he was having for breakfast.  I am not a fan his, mostly because of what we are discussing.

Some golf pros perform miracles, sometimes.  Definitely proof against atheism IMHO ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhXjcZdk5QQ

How I feel about any incredible sports feat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

hobby420

Quote from: Baruch on April 14, 2019, 02:00:44 PM
Some golf pros perform miracles, sometimes.  Definitely proof against atheism IMHO ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhXjcZdk5QQ

How I feel about any incredible sports feat.
Not sure about proof, but could make you wonder at times :-) Tiger earned it today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

aitm

To my point, I met a bud at a local hole in the wall for our sunday "nip" or two. This place is a MAGA haven, but there they were, yelling and screaming for Tiger. I do believe the kid could run for President and have serious potential.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

Well the kid won, and the ejaculate is everywhere......seriously, close the windows peeps.

Unbeliever

Maybe they like Woods because they see that he's flawed, just like a real person. Maybe sexual mores are not as damning as they once were. After all, many of America's top people have had "affairs of the boudoir," including current and past presidents. People like sinners better than saints.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: hobby420 on April 14, 2019, 11:57:56 AM
Yeah, well, what he's doing right now is why the media obsesses over him.  He's got the most compelling ongoing story in professional golf -- first the way he exploded onto the scene in the 90s, then the unbelievably high standard for play he set, then the injuries and scandals, and now the comeback.  There are a lot of really talented players out there, but Tiger has the storyline that they don't.  A comeback like what he just delivered is without any conceivable question the biggest story in golf.

And I agree, the Masters is the highlight of the golfing year -- it never fails to deliver.  And Jim Nantz has the greatest gift in announcing: he knows exactly when to say nothing and just let the moment carry itself.

The second best golfing day of the year for me is the Monday after the Memorial, when the pros are all in town and the ones that aren't already in the US Open play in the largest sectional qualifier in the country.  Our qualifier always delivers a future star -- Lucas Glover qualified here the year he won.  I saw both Charl Schwartzel and Bubba Watson play here the years before their respective Masters wins, back when Bubba was just called "who's that little lefty that hits it a mile?"  I'm not surprised Bubba's a believerâ€"every time he teed off, you could hear someone say "Jesus Christ!"

And you get to see the guys who used to be the big names.  I've followed Love, Lehman, Olazabal, Singh, and even nearly got beaned by David Duval (got to keep the ball).

Oh, and no ropes, and since it's a Monday, the crowds are minimal.  It's fantastic.  Don't get me wrong, the Memorial is incredible to see in personâ€"the practice range is better manicured than any course I've playedâ€"but I'm getting too old to hike those hills and too cranky to deal with those crowds.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 14, 2019, 05:25:51 PM
Maybe they like Woods because they see that he's flawed, just like a real person. Maybe sexual mores are not as damning as they once were. After all, many of America's top people have had "affairs of the boudoir," including current and past presidents. People like sinners better than saints.

Don't count me in.  And I am deeply suspicious of so-called saints!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Idols and  sports go together.  I use Ruth as a model.  He was a flawed human being, but a god-like baseball player.  He could pitch and hit like nobody else.  He created the mystique of the Yankees by carrying them to championship after championship; he was basically worshiped by all who followed the game and then by everybody in the country--the world.  He could do no wrong no matter what he did.  The same goes for Michael Jordan now.  Tiger was/is the Babe Ruth of golf.  He was so good he transformed the game--almost with god-like talent.  Then he hit the skids with wives and women; still he could do no wrong.  And having a comeback after a decade or more of futility (yet trying so very hard to recapture some of his early magic) people can really relate to that.  A victory now just bring back the Ruthian Tiger. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

I think the fundamental error is the assumption that someone paid exorbitant sums to hit, kick, throw and/or catch a ball is -- or even should be -- a "role model".  I would much rather politicians and business (and for that matter, religious) leaders held to the same exacting standards we expect of sports stars.  And I would much rather see educators and scientists held in the same high regard as sports stars.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on April 15, 2019, 10:57:15 AM
I think the fundamental error is the assumption that someone paid exorbitant sums to hit, kick, throw and/or catch a ball is -- or even should be -- a "role model".  I would much rather politicians and business (and for that matter, religious) leaders held to the same exacting standards we expect of sports stars.  And I would much rather see educators and scientists held in the same high regard as sports stars.
Our society is really screwed up in that area!  Sports stars and celebrity stars are way, way, way over paid.  I learned as a child not to worship the personal lives of pro sports figures.  I grew up a Yankee fan and so Ruth was my idol.  At least, until I read about his personal life.  He was not what I wanted to pattern my life after.  And I stopped reading about the personal lives of pro stars.  I loved Mantle as a player--did not and will not read any bio's about him.  They all have clay feet--if I want to read about that all I have to do is look at myself--find all the clay feet I could ever need. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on April 14, 2019, 11:40:11 AM
I don't watch enough to get that involved. Completely unrelated however is what I find the general public's fascination and love for Tiger Woods. This somewhat surprises me given his history domestically. Most people become a little jaded toward a person who has cheated on the wife(s).

The first surprise about Tiger to me was when he started how much my Mom and Dad loved him. This is a surprise because they are both rather racist, and Mom never cared a whit about golf, but there they were glued to the TV watching golf. I was rather stunned.

I'll get some flak for this...

Because racists love biracial people.  They see it as a step up...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!