Human brain genes in monkeys

Started by PopeyesPappy, April 11, 2019, 08:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on April 15, 2019, 03:17:11 PM
There is more than one definition of any word.

"Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy."

It is more than a quibble about meaning.  I am pretty pessimistic and pretty skeptical and pretty judgmental ... so semi nihilist matches me.  Like demi-god.  I didn't say my charism was positive.

Whoever wrote that definition was clearly biased. Nihilism means believing that life has no inherent meaning, apart from what you give it. That's it. Associations with pessimism or a desire to "destroy" are irrelevant to the conversation.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

Not much worried about a bunch of monkeys running around with weapons, more worried bout the little bastard microscopic bugs they are cooking in the back of the house....them's the fuckers going to get us.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 12, 2019, 04:43:32 AM
You think they might be able to safely plant human brain genes in creationists in a decade or so?

LOOOL Missed that before. I love you.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2019, 04:26:59 PM
Not much worried about a bunch of monkeys running around with weapons, more worried bout the little bastard microscopic bugs they are cooking in the back of the house....them's the fuckers going to get us.

Revived Spanish Flu and weaponized bird flu.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.