News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

First Images of Black Holes!

Started by Unbeliever, April 10, 2019, 04:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

QuoteThe Event Horizon Telescope Collaboration observed the supermassive black holes at the center of M87 and our Milky Way galaxy (SgrA*) finding the dark central shadow in accordance with General Relativity, further demonstrating the power of this 100 year-old theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_GVbuddri8

This is pretty cool, I hope they can get even better images down the road.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Now you can see, literally, where all your tax money has gone ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

This is indeed pretty cool stuff. I remember making a thread here about the Event Horizon Telescope project several years ago when they were hoping to catch a glimpse of Sagittarius A as a cloud of gas and dust was headed it's way. That event didn't pan out for them, but I am really glad to see they eventually got it to work.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

trdsf

At 3:40, when they explained how they connected the eight telescopes, that was what blew my mind.  Just imagine the discoveries that could be made if science budgets weren't funded only grudgingly and sparingly.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on April 10, 2019, 11:16:43 PM
At 3:40, when they explained how they connected the eight telescopes, that was what blew my mind.  Just imagine the discoveries that could be made if science budgets weren't funded only grudgingly and sparingly.

More backdrops for scifi TV shows.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on April 10, 2019, 10:29:33 PM
This is indeed pretty cool stuff. I remember making a thread here about the Event Horizon Telescope project several years ago when they were hoping to catch a glimpse of Sagittarius A as a cloud of gas and dust was headed it's way. That event didn't pan out for them, but I am really glad to see they eventually got it to work.

When doing hard things, we often don't get it right the first time (Hubble mirror), but given grit and ability and resources, keep tweaking until we do get it right.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on April 10, 2019, 11:16:43 PM
A virtual telescope the size of the Earth has been done for years. Computing power is the only limit now.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 11, 2019, 10:50:00 AM
A virtual telescope the size of the Earth has been done for years. Computing power is the only limit now.

I think originally done with radio waves, not at shorter wavelengths.  But still amazing computer power.  Basically integrating multiple sources with fourier transforms and filtering.  Good multidimensional fourier transforms are not trivial calculations.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

It's so cool. My heart beat faster for a few secs watching the feed. We saw this in our life time! I wish Hawking could have seen it too. Also, as it is said above, the telescope system is mind blowing. But then mine is an easy one to blow.       

Thanks to Uncle Albert and Uncle Stephen.   

Instant comments everywhere around in various languages were 'the one ring!' and 'he was right, again'. LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

https://people.com/human-interest/katie-bouman-scientist-helped-take-black-hole-photo/

It is important I think to learn from our past mistakes and give her the credit she deserves now rather than waiting 50 years after her death to be like, "Oh, right, she was pretty important."

Bouman is a 29-year old computer scientist who graduated from MIT, works at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and spent the last 6 years of her life (starting when she was a grad. student) developing the algorithm that made this picture possible.

While obviously the entire crew deserve credit for making this happen, even amongst them her work stands out.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 11, 2019, 12:31:07 PM
It's so cool. My heart beat faster for a few secs watching the feed. We saw this in our life time! I wish Hawking could have seen it too. Also, as it is said above, the telescope system is mind blowing. But then mine is an easy one to blow.       

Thanks to Uncle Albert and Uncle Stephen.   

Instant comments everywhere around in various languages were 'the one ring!' and 'he was right, again'. LOL
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.