News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hitchens on Orwell on Totalitarianism ....

Started by Baruch, April 06, 2019, 12:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cavebear on April 14, 2019, 06:45:16 AM
When I was taking political science classes back in the early 70s, it was always Marx/Engels as basically equals.  Sometimes with a slight nudge to Engels...

That's not accurate then, because it is the other way around in their home land/culture. If you look at more simple, there is 'something' called Marxism, not Engelsism. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

You know what that's probably because Marx is considered more dangerous, but Engels is tame. LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 14, 2019, 06:54:29 AM
That's not accurate then, because it is the other way around in their home land/culture. If you look at more simple, there is 'something' called Marxism, not Engelsism.

Marx was more active but Engel was more the theorist.  And Engel aided Marx's writinga.  Plus he continued the communist theory after Marx died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Engels
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

drunkenshoe

I was looking for a known letter of Engels', couldn't find it. But I found this. Apparently 'ghost writing' is not strictly what I take it is and may be Baruch meant this. Also,  Ithink they discuss about Hegel when they meet and that's how it starts. 

https://archive.org/stream/politicalthought00abbo/politicalthought00abbo_djvu.txt

QuoteThe Parisian years (1843-1845) were the most decisive for
the development of Marx's thought. It was in Paris that he be-
came a communist. There he changed his attitude toward Hegel,
shedding forever the latter's idealism while retaining the dialectic
method as the basis for his own historical materialism. It was in
Paris too that Marx met for a second time (end of August, 1844)
the man who was to be his devoted friend and genial collaborator
â€" Friedrich Engels (1820-1895), a fellow Rhinelander, the son of
a rich cotton manufacturer in Barmen, Germany, and Manchester,
England. From the day of their Paris meeting the two were in-
separable. Marx relied on Engels as his best disciple and inter-
preter. Engels admired Marx and encouraged him in every
imaginable way â€" ghostwriting for him, sharing his capitalistic
wealth with him, defending him against all adversaries during his
stormy life and after his death. For Engels, Marx was a prophet,
an inspired leader, the greatest man ever born.
For Marx, Engels
was a staunch supporter on whom he could rely in every con-
tingency, his "chief of staff," capable of perfectly understanding
his message and of faithfully implementing his plan of action.

The category is called Continental Philosophy; Marxism. Also it makes perfect sense why Marx is not pushed forward in the US in the education.

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 14, 2019, 07:26:03 AM
I was looking for a known letter of Engels', couldn't find it. But I found this. Apparently 'ghost writing' is not strictly what I take it is and may be Baruch meant this. Also,  Ithink they discuss about Hegel when they meet and that's how it starts. 

https://archive.org/stream/politicalthought00abbo/politicalthought00abbo_djvu.txt

The category is called Continental Philosophy; Marxism. Also it makes perfect sense why Marx is not pushed forward in the US in the education.

That is basically what I was taught...

Baruch

2nd guy never gets much credit ... otherwise the general public would know about Engelism.

Marx was the activist.  He was inspired to combine Hegel with French Revolution, in the 1848 European revolts.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 14, 2019, 10:09:38 AM
2nd guy never gets much credit ... otherwise the general public would know about Engelism.

Marx was the activist.  He was inspired to combine Hegel with French Revolution, in the 1848 European revolts.

Are you familiar with the 4 square influence block?  Where there is up, down, left, right in judgement of influence/importance?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 09:46:44 AM
Are you familiar with the 4 square influence block?  Where there is up, down, left, right in judgement of influence/importance?

Do academics live in ivory towers?  The proletariat doesn't care about fine distinctions, they care about branding.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 18, 2019, 10:43:25 AM
Do academics live in ivory towers?  The proletariat doesn't care about fine distinctions, they care about branding.

So, you are apparently not.  OK, here's the thing. Both Hollywood and scientific papers and TV lives and dies on this.

Draw a square and divide it in 1/4s  where would you put your name if you wanted to show power/influence?  The top left.

What if you have co-equals?  The top right?  Not that implies 2nd place.  The lower left?  Same problem.  And right bottom is seriously 3rd.

Studies show the equality of 2 is only from one name upper right and the other lower left.  It balances out the perceived weaknesses...

Baruch

In politics I think like Coke, you think like Pepsi.  That is branding ;-)  Has nothing to do with your Jedi ways, Cavebear-wan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 18, 2019, 02:46:12 PM
In politics I think like Coke, you think like Pepsi.  That is branding ;-)  Has nothing to do with your Jedi ways, Cavebear-wan.

PEPSI?!  I can't stand the stuff.  Remember the old Pepsi bottles with a white dot near the top?  Our childhood joke was "Pepsi Cola on the dot;  Makes you spit up on the spot."   Besides, my godfather was a VP at Coke...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 02:54:45 PM
PEPSI?!  I can't stand the stuff.  Remember the old Pepsi bottles with a white dot near the top?  Our childhood joke was "Pepsi Cola on the dot;  Makes you spit up on the spot."   Besides, my godfather was a VP at Coke...

Further proof you are a mutant ;-)  You can't get real Coke outside of Mexico anymore.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 18, 2019, 02:59:34 PM
Further proof you are a mutant ;-)  You can't get real Coke outside of Mexico anymore.

Actually you can.  Safeway sells the Real Stuff. Sometimes it is at the far end of the soda aisle and sometimes it is with the hispanic foods.

Don't you just HATE being wrong all the time?  LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 03:15:32 PM
Actually you can.  Safeway sells the Real Stuff. Sometimes it is at the far end of the soda aisle and sometimes it is with the hispanic foods.

Don't you just HATE being wrong all the time?  LOL!

No Safeway in my area.  Was one of my favorite stores BITD.  Did you test yours for extract of cocaine?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 18, 2019, 03:16:47 PM
No Safeway in my area.  Was one of my favorite stores BITD.  Did you test yours for extract of cocaine?

Nope.  BIMD, it was "Superfresh" (the discount Safeway name) 3 miles away and right next to my carpool-meeting spot so it was really convenient.  Now I have to drive 6 miles to the Safeway.  They DO have outstanding produce, though.