Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Have you heard about the discovery of mushrooms on Mars?

;-)
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

The inspiration for "2001" was the short story "The Sentinel".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 01, 2019, 05:31:21 PM
The inspiration for "2001" was the short story "The Sentinel".

All great ideas are adapted from earlier ones.  Even Gilgamesh certainly came from previous ideas, modified and improved by others.  I wonder what earliest homo or prehuman had the original thoughts (probably based on some interpretation of natural events) and struggled to express it...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 01:25:59 PM
All great ideas are adapted from earlier ones.  Even Gilgamesh certainly came from previous ideas, modified and improved by others.  I wonder what earliest homo or prehuman had the original thoughts (probably based on some interpretation of natural events) and struggled to express it...

But I thought you guys opposed all fiction?  Yeah, just the fiction you don't like.  It is all a matter of taste.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 18, 2019, 03:02:17 PM
But I thought you guys opposed all fiction?  Yeah, just the fiction you don't like.  It is all a matter of taste.

"Willing suspension of disbelief"  Atheists tend to be sci-fi readers.  Get with the program, dude...

Ask me something about LOTR...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 05:00:50 PM
"Willing suspension of disbelief"  Atheists tend to be sci-fi readers.  Get with the program, dude...

Ask me something about LOTR...  LOL!

So Sauron had a space ship?  WTF man!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I'm opposed to all fiction?  That's news for me.  I could've sworn that it's a pretty big and important part of my life and human life generally.  I really should have consulted myself before I made such a foolhardy position.  Or at the very least, removed all the straw from my clothes...

As for holy books specifically, this might come as a shock, but I don't hate all of the Bible.  In fact, there's the occasional good message in there.  It's just surrounded by a lot of really awful stuff, which wouldn't be that bad if it weren't the case that vast numbers of people think this stuff is literally true.

It'd be like if people really thought that Lord of the Rings were true and sought to outlaw jewelry and set up a class system were people that look "elven" are treated better than people who look "orcish".  That'd sour me on Lord of the Rings quite a bit.

Baruch

Right don't base society on BS.  But all human culture is someone else's BS.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.