Author Topic: Before the Space Age ...  (Read 450 times)

Offline Baruch

Before the Space Age ...
« on: March 31, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

How much more do we know now!
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Re: Before the Space Age ...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:02:46 PM »
Have you heard about the discovery of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login?

;-)
"Ideas have consequences, and totally erroneous ideas are likely to have destructive consequences."
Steve Allen

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
The inspiration for "2001" was the short story "The Sentinel".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 01:25:59 PM »
The inspiration for "2001" was the short story "The Sentinel".

All great ideas are adapted from earlier ones.  Even Gilgamesh certainly came from previous ideas, modified and improved by others.  I wonder what earliest homo or prehuman had the original thoughts (probably based on some interpretation of natural events) and struggled to express it...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 03:02:17 PM »
All great ideas are adapted from earlier ones.  Even Gilgamesh certainly came from previous ideas, modified and improved by others.  I wonder what earliest homo or prehuman had the original thoughts (probably based on some interpretation of natural events) and struggled to express it...

But I thought you guys opposed all fiction?  Yeah, just the fiction you don't like.  It is all a matter of taste.
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 05:00:50 PM »
But I thought you guys opposed all fiction?  Yeah, just the fiction you don't like.  It is all a matter of taste.

"Willing suspension of disbelief"  Atheists tend to be sci-fi readers.  Get with the program, dude...

Ask me something about LOTR...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »
"Willing suspension of disbelief"  Atheists tend to be sci-fi readers.  Get with the program, dude...

Ask me something about LOTR...  LOL!

So Sauron had a space ship?  WTF man!

Online Hydra009

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 05:28:39 PM »
I'm opposed to all fiction?  That's news for me.  I could've sworn that it's a pretty big and important part of my life and human life generally.  I really should have consulted myself before I made such a foolhardy position.  Or at the very least, removed all the straw from my clothes...

As for holy books specifically, this might come as a shock, but I don't hate all of the Bible.  In fact, there's the occasional good message in there.  It's just surrounded by a lot of really awful stuff, which wouldn't be that bad if it weren't the case that vast numbers of people think this stuff is literally true.

It'd be like if people really thought that Lord of the Rings were true and sought to outlaw jewelry and set up a class system were people that look "elven" are treated better than people who look "orcish".  That'd sour me on Lord of the Rings quite a bit.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 05:41:53 PM »
Right don't base society on BS.  But all human culture is someone else's BS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk