News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheist don't donate to charity.....

Started by Aroura33, June 21, 2013, 11:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroura33

Quote from: "rickcopeland648"
Quote from: "Elohim"My parents give 10% of their income to the Mormon church and then claim it as a charitable donation on their tax return. If you asked them they would say they give 10% of their income to charity. I think they give 10% of their income to a racket and none of it to charity. As to whether atheists are more or less charitable, I don't know if atheism would have an effect one way or another.

Mitt Romney made similar such claims. The Rick Copeland would love to see figures stating where the LDS church spends these funds. He doesn't know, but he suspects it mostly goes into building new churches/ temples and into political causes such as their involvement in California's Prop 8. He also suspects most of the charitythey claim might be things such as subsidizing the DI/ their Deseret food brand and occasionally sending water to victims of earthquakes/ famines/ other natural disasters.

Does anybody know whether one must be a member of the church to benefit from their food welfare program or is it open to the general public ala local food banks?
If you check out the link in my second post, the guy covers that question. Mormons spend 90% of their charity on Mormons, Evangelicals it is 80%, Catholics it is 50%, and Jews the lowest, reserving only 40% of donations for their own.  so yeah basically most church donations only help others of the same faith.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

rickcopeland648

Quote from: "Aroura33"Mormons spend 90% of their charity on Mormons...

Right, but most of what Mormons spend on "charity" is church donations/ tithing, right? The Rick Copeland is more interested in how the LDS church spends the contributions.
Or is the first use of "Mormons" meant to be "the LDS church"?
"It was then I understood my mission. I knew I must overthrow the white man and all he stood for. But that would not be easy. I would need the help from my organizing brothers and sisters. But most of all, I\'d need the help of Allah. All thanks be to Allah, praise be his sweet and blessed name."
   -- From "Dreams From my Father: The Unexpurgated Version THEY don\'t Want You To Read". By B. Obama Hussein, Forward By Jerome Corsi"

"Syphilis is the algebra of infection."

rickcopeland648

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"
Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Farroc"Animals, on the other hand, I do plan to give some money to.
But they don't have pockets to keep it in!

Some Australian animals do....  :wink:

But don't you fucking dare try to pick a marsupial's pocket. You're more likely to get a face full of kangaroo milk...
"It was then I understood my mission. I knew I must overthrow the white man and all he stood for. But that would not be easy. I would need the help from my organizing brothers and sisters. But most of all, I\'d need the help of Allah. All thanks be to Allah, praise be his sweet and blessed name."
   -- From "Dreams From my Father: The Unexpurgated Version THEY don\'t Want You To Read". By B. Obama Hussein, Forward By Jerome Corsi"

Aroura33

Quote from: "rickcopeland648"
Quote from: "Aroura33"Mormons spend 90% of their charity on Mormons...

Right, but most of what Mormons spend on "charity" is church donations/ tithing, right? He's more interested in how the LDS church spends the contributions.
Or is the first use of "Mormons" meant to be "the LDS church"?
I did mean the church spend most of its donations on the church AND mormon people. As for how their spending breaks down specifically we will never know, as churches are not required to report how they spend their money the way secular charities are forced to. Fair, right?  :Hangman:
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh you people are just persecuting religious people by questioning where all that money goes. Everyone knows churches only do good deeds with their money.. Greed is never even part of the equation.. You know that.. :D/
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

rickcopeland648

Ok, The Rick Copeland gets you now. Sorry for the confusion. Yeah, it's a fucking racket. And a tax deduction for those who donate.

AllPurposeAtheist

Church a racket? When did that begin? Wait till father Flannigan finds out. :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.