News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Decline of Disney

Started by Shiranu, March 22, 2019, 08:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHB039JB5_E&list=PLdGl5mi0XeW2iK2sVp2ni_VDRKrmfF_-Z&index=34

A video on how TENG pretty much marks the moment Disney decided to shut down it's old-school animation style as well as when Disney decided to show less trust in creativity and more in marketability which led to over a decade of mediocre films from a company that was an iconic institution of quality...

*takes deep breath*

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

I liked TENG.  But then I don't expect so much from animation.  They can't all be Aladdin or Lion King.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

The people who worked tirelessly during the disney renaissance are not the same people that started on this trends of abandoning traditional animation for cgi.

the last traditional disney animated movie I saw was the princess and the frog, and I enjoyed that, even if it got a less then stellar reception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irEBOfv4Ug4

It is pretty awful how every western animation studio is all cgi now, when traditional animation has so much more to give, style and creativity.

I've been a fan of Hayao Miyazaki's works for years, and he never stooped to going cgi with his beautiful animation. With him more or less departing from animation, I've become a fan of another director in similar vain as him, Mamoru Hosoda, who made the boy and the beast, wolf children, and the girl who leapt though time, all amazingly animated films in traditional animated style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEN5N2a8U3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKyXMKISgC8

Disney doesn't care anymore about giving people wonderful animation, they just want to rake in the cash.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Acoustic music vs electronic music.  LP vs CD.  Connoisseur wars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I like The Emperor's New Groove... It's a comedy, unlike most of their other animated films. Besides, if you think Disney was more devoted to artistic expression before TENG, look up "Disney reuse animation." Then there were the direct to video sequels. They've always been about the profit.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Disney. Meh. To many musicals.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 23, 2019, 09:19:21 AM
I like The Emperor's New Groove... It's a comedy, unlike most of their other animated films. Besides, if you think Disney was more devoted to artistic expression before TENG, look up "Disney reuse animation." Then there were the direct to video sequels. They've always been about the profit.

Uncle Walt was quite the asshole.

https://www.biography.com/news/walt-disney-biography-facts-video

During the 30s, he was a known Nazi sympathizer .... others were Stalin sympathizers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 23, 2019, 10:00:30 AM
Disney. Meh. To many musicals.

I was raised on musicals. Oliver!, mary poppins, the sound of music, white christmas, charlie and the chocolate factory, rocky horror picture show, carousel, singin' in the rain.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on March 24, 2019, 11:58:32 AM
I was raised on musicals. Oliver!, mary poppins, the sound of music, white christmas, charlie and the chocolate factory, rocky horror picture show, carousel, singin' in the rain.

I grew up with musicals too. Even when I was a kid, I don't think I was a big fan of the singing. I more tolerated the singing than enjoyed it. It seems like early movies were basically just recorded plays, little different from what you would expect to see in a live production. Then over time, film turned into its own separate entity. I prefer it that way.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 24, 2019, 04:31:59 PM
I grew up with musicals too. Even when I was a kid, I don't think I was a big fan of the singing. I more tolerated the singing than enjoyed it. It seems like early movies were basically just recorded plays, little different from what you would expect to see in a live production. Then over time, film turned into its own separate entity. I prefer it that way.

I suppose, most musicals were theatrical in that regard, different era since maybe they thought if people couldn't get to theaters to see them, they'd bring them to the big screen that everyone was more into at that time.

Still, I think its these movies that made me appreciate theater production a lot more, something that has sadly lost its gravitas in modern day.

Cavebear

Early Disney, ah yes...

Snow White,  Pure Caucasian teen age virginal type girl gets mixed up with some swarthy fat short misshappen males who live all alone fixated on digging caves.

Sleeping Beauty, Pure Caucasian teen age virginal type girl is mildly molested while in a coma and wakes up suddenly. 

Bambi, The evils of hunting.  A deer escapes (barely) from starving people seeking food.

Dumbo, Now there's a name to inspire respect of oneself...  Gets by with floppy ears, Black Jim Crows, and magical thinking!

Pinocchio, The child of pine...  Do you know that, in the original book, he stomped the cricket flat...?

Song of the South, racist from start to finish...  Of please Mr White Man Fox, please don't through me in the briar patch!  Shuffle, crouch, SING DAT SONG to sooth the Man...

;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!