Traditional societies are technology poor, but socially rich ...

Started by Baruch, March 18, 2019, 03:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 18, 2019, 03:58:11 AM

Actual superior in some respects.

When I read 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' by Jared Diamond years ago, it completely changed my comprehension of how cultures developed and expanded, or did not.  Domesticatable (and I prefer that to "domesticable") plants and animals does seem to have determined which people advanced and which did not.

But having one great idea does not mean that someones later ideas are equally great.  Everything I have read by him since has seemed "less-illuminating".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Yes, looking into the past, is much easier than getting perspective on the present, or projecting into the future.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 21, 2019, 12:58:33 PM
Yes, looking into the past, is much easier than getting perspective on the present, or projecting into the future.

Understanding the past is more difficult than understanding the present.  And trying to understand the future is very difficult.  But reading some thoughts of understanding the past is rare and I think Jared Diamond did a spectacular job with his insight in 'Guns, Germs, and Steel'. 

Have you any better thoughts about understanding the past than he does?  Tell me where he is wrong.  Tell me a better explanation.  Please feel free to go on at any length...

Baruch

I agree, why attempt to provoke?  He is the smartest anthropologist I have ever read or listened to.  So when are you going to seek the wisdom of the head hunters (OP)?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 02, 2019, 07:16:07 AM
I agree, why attempt to provoke?  He is the smartest anthropologist I have ever read or listened to.  So when are you going to seek the wisdom of the head hunters (OP)?

Jared Diamond completely changed my view of how various human cultures developed or didn't.