Thomas John (The Seatbelt Psychic) - Busted for Cheating!

Started by Unbeliever, March 13, 2019, 04:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

QuoteThomas John, the Seatbelt Psychic was caught cheating and was exposed by Susan Gerbic and Mark Edward in Operation Pizza Roll, as published in the New York Times. Enjoy this short documentary of how Thomas John was busted doing a hot reading and why we should all be skeptical of psychic mediums. Thomas John was caught gleaning information from the sitters' Facebook accounts prior to the show and he got caught red-handed. And this comes right on the tail of John Oliver's brilliant coverage exposing psychic scams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBIIFA5wng

Psychics are just another brand of con artist, charlatans who are smart enough to scam money out of vulnerable people. Just like the mediums that Houdini exposed. He worked for years busting those thieves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFaDJ5IJHg
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

At least in the late 19th century, people still believed in "something", even if it was false ;-)

Did you ever see the historical expose, how the whole "spiritualism" aka "seance" business was started by two teen sisters in upstate NY, who could snap their toes (not their fingers)?

https://gizmodo.com/the-sisters-who-talked-to-the-dead-and-sparked-americ-1718100628

Tarot cards were originally used for a European card game, not for oracles.

Still, I did enjoy "Ghost" with Whoopi Goldberg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uubih798tg

The most meaningful movie of this type, for me ... Field Of Dreams ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, I've heard of the Fox sisters, must've been the precursors of Fox News.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

The movie Ghost had good music, too, like 'Enery the Eight I am! LOL
God Not Found

Baruch

My grandmother's generation practiced divination with regular playing cards.  And table tapping (think Oija, but larger, and in yes/no format).

My tarot cards were a gift from my grandmother ... they didn't "speak" to her as they do to others.  Basically it is a creative probe of the sub-conscious.  There could be mediums who do something like that, based on internal clues (aka channeling), but I don't know it.  Spontaneous writing and spontaneous speech have been noted in history.  Pentecostalism is something like that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

Well, I never had any need for disproof.  The entire idea is idiotic from the get-go...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 14, 2019, 10:18:40 AM
Well, I never had any need for disproof.  The entire idea is idiotic from the get-go...

But you put all your investments into little pieces of paper backed by financial people?  Gullible much?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

mathetes

Peter Popoff was a "faith healer" who was exposed publicly in the 1980s and continues deceiving people to this day.  It's certainly unfortunate that these type of fraudulent schemes exist which deceive people and reward fraudsters for their trickery.  Unfortunately, getting caught doesn't ensure they will lose their capability to continue deceiving vulnerable and desperate people.  Fraudsters are remarkably resilient and capable.

Mike Cl

Quote from: mathetes on April 13, 2019, 03:45:30 PM
Peter Popoff was a "faith healer" who was exposed publicly in the 1980s and continues deceiving people to this day.  It's certainly unfortunate that these type of fraudulent schemes exist which deceive people and reward fraudsters for their trickery.  Unfortunately, getting caught doesn't ensure they will lose their capability to continue deceiving vulnerable and desperate people.  Fraudsters are remarkably resilient and capable.
It seems that fraudulent, huckster, snake oil salesman, minister, priest, religion are all one and the same.  Religion in general, deals with and uses lies.  But they are lies that appeal to the emotions and not reason, which is why it is impossible to bring the idiot believer to the light--reasoning is of the devil.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

mathetes

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 13, 2019, 10:43:28 PM
It seems that fraudulent, huckster, snake oil salesman, minister, priest, religion are all one and the same.  Religion in general, deals with and uses lies.  But they are lies that appeal to the emotions and not reason, which is why it is impossible to bring the idiot believer to the light--reasoning is of the devil.

I think there is a significant difference between intentional fraudsters and those who may spread misinformation without malicious intent.  One is intentionally predatory.

Mike Cl

Quote from: mathetes on April 13, 2019, 11:02:28 PM
I think there is a significant difference between intentional fraudsters and those who may spread misinformation without malicious intent.  One is intentionally predatory.
And religions are intentionally predatory.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 14, 2019, 01:20:16 PM
But you put all your investments into little pieces of paper backed by financial people?  Gullible much?

If my little pieces of paper fail, we have much more serious problems and I'll be hiding in the mountains trapping squirrels for food.  But I don't expect that will happen in my lifetime.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!